Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
harpoon

Montana 3455SA

I am looking to upgrade to a 5er and have found one I really like but would like to hear from people who have this or a similar model that could share their knowledge. The model I have picked out (w/o going to great detail) is a 2010 Montana 3455SA with the arctic pkg., king bed, central vac. and 2 ac's. It is in what I would consider to be excellent condition in and out. I've been in and out of a lot of fifth wheels this past 2 years and this looks as good as any.
The dealer wants $42995 before trade. If anyone has any knowledge on this model and what they think the price range should be in, I'd like to hear from you before taking the plunge.
Thanks for any advice...
Bilstein, Reese R20
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

According to NADA, suggested list was about $52545. Given discounts and competetive bargaining, it probably sold for between $42 and 46 new. So, you are looking at a price that's somewhere near the new purchase price. Most discussion on here indicates that most RV's lose about 20-25% of their purchase price in the first year. If that is true, then the price you're being quoted is on the high end. It also appears that the 3455SA is being discontinued. You should be able to negotiate a very VERY good price on a new one if you look around and can find one on a dealer's lot.

Of course, as with used cars, there's a "bottom" for every seat, so if this is the RV you've got your heart set on, is price really that important? Only you can answer that question.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
harpoon

I appreciate your feedback, JRTJH. After reading your post I went on NADA myself and built the trailer as close as I can remember it. It seems with the extras and condition, this is a good price. I squeezed the dealer as much as possible I guess, judging by the values.
Bilstein, Reese R20
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
michael

$

Throw $35, to $38, at them,
You can always go up, Right now its a buyers market.
What there asking for the one your looking at isnt much less then what i paid for mine brand new July 2012,
Good luck.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

$43K seems like a brand-new price for a 3 year old unit. Just my 02 cents.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with all these comments. From what I've seen around this area, asking $43 for a 3 year old unit is very "optimistic" for the dealer. New models in this price range are being sold for about the same money. Sure, the "MSRP" is in teh 60's or higher for a new unit, but they are being sold for 45 - 50K every day. My guess is the dealer is trying to maximize his profits by hoping to find someone with big pockets and an emotional desire for what looks like an overpriced rig. I'd seriously consider looking at new models with a warranty. You can find one at or very near the same price if you're an astute shopper.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
harpoon

These posts are the reason I came on and asked. It's good to have this resource and I agree with the consensus here that the price is high. I didn't and won't let emotion cloud the picture.
I have always bought new in the past, whether it was a vehicle or a camper. This time I've decided to buy something 2-3 years old and not take the depreciation hit, so it doesn't make any sense to pay close to a new camper price.
Bilstein, Reese R20
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Herap

harpoon,

I agree the price may be a little high for an 2010, on the other hand, I agree with your choice of camper. We purchased ours new last January and have not regretted it at all. We've only had one issue with ours over the last 12 months and we traveled about 3500 miles last year in it. The TV bracket that raises the TV came loose a couple of times before CW was able to finally fix it permanently. If you've any more questions, feel free to send a pm.

Ray
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

In another post on a different topic, a member listed a link to an RV price guide that gives MSRP and invoice costs. According to the data on that site, the 2012 Montana 3455SA lists MSRP at 54,335 and invoice at 38,811. so, it seems to me that the asking price for this 2010 model is more than a potential negotiated price for a new one. I'd keep looking if it were me. At least do a google search for that year/model and see what they are selling for around the country. I'm thinking you can do much better elsewhere.

Here's the link: http://www.seedealercost.com/recv

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Hi we own a 20110 montana. first off the pricing advice you have gotten is very good. looks like the dealer is on the hig side as for the quality of the unit. we have had no major issues with any of the 3 montanas we have owned. were they perfect no but i have had excellent service from the unit. never regretted buying them. the artic package? well thats a nice sticker looks good by the door! don't bet on it to keep you warm ain't gonna happen.just remember before you sign go over it! there is a great pdi check list on the forum. and try not to let the excitement take over good judgement. look down the sides for wavy walls and over spray on the frame. good luck wish you the best.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
RedOne

You might want to call Petes RV in Vermont. My dad traded in his 13 year old Montana for a 2013 Montana and got a VERY SWEET deal. We out right bought a 2013 Cougar and he got the Montana from Petes RV in Indiana but they will deal in the Vermont store also. Tell them Scott O from the Indiana store said so. He was our salesman and was very straight forward. We had a very good experience with them and saved over 10k from the dealers in STL.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
harpoon

Thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge. I feel waaaay more informed about this now than I did when I walked out of the dealer's office.
I still don't quite understand where the low new prices come from. According to NADA web-site, the MSRP for the 3455SA is in the low 70's. That aside, I have decided to keep looking for now. If I have to keep my rig a couple more years, that's ok. Long as I can keep campin', that's the main thing.
Bilstein, Reese R20
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The NADA MSRP starts out at around $50K and when you add options, it goes up from there. Most 3455SA's are listed in the mid 60 to mid 70 price range.

If you are having trouble finding 3455SA's for sale in the "around 50K" price range, here's a few links to new units you might want to check out:

http://www.campingworldoforlando.com...montana/202384

http://www.couchscampers.com/rv/midd...montana+3455sa

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/1...a-3455-SA.aspx

Granted, there are some listed on the internet for $67K and up. The only suggestion I can offer is to shop wisely. All the optional equipment listed on the "high priced ones" is also listed on the "under 50K" ones. All three of the above listed trailers have MSRP's in the mid $70's, so that should give you some idea of the markup if they are being sold for less than $50K.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The NADA MSRP starts out at around $50K and when you add options, it goes up from there. Most 3455SA's are listed in the mid 60 to mid 70 price range.

If you are having trouble finding 3455SA's for sale in the "around 50K" price range, here's a few links to new units you might want to check out:

http://www.campingworldoforlando.com...montana/202384

http://www.couchscampers.com/rv/midd...montana+3455sa

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/1...a-3455-SA.aspx

Granted, there are some listed on the internet for $67K and up. The only suggestion I can offer is to shop wisely. All the optional equipment listed on the "high priced ones" is also listed on the "under 50K" ones. All three of the above listed trailers have MSRP's in the mid $70's, so that should give you some idea of the markup if they are being sold for less than $50K.
Thanks for the links. I looked at them and the one in Fla. is particularly attractive. If nothing else, maybe it'll give me some ammo for further negotiations.
Bilstein, Reese R20