Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
Camp I am

I have a 2012 327RES. DO NOT BUY the anti-freeze winterizing kit. Your water line from your fresh water tank goes straight into the water pump in the basment using a custom snap in type pipe fitting that is held in with a plastic clip, the kit will not have the right connections as it's designed to intersect a screw in fitting, so it's completely useless unless you go out and buy more hardware to MacGyver it all together. If you want a simpe way to winterize without putting the pink stuff in your fresh water tank you can get another one of those snap in fittings from your RV dealer and attach a length of hose to it long enough so that you can run the hose out of the basement. You can then snap the water line out, and then snap in the your home made anti-freeze hose/fitting combo, and you'll then be able to use the RV's pump to suck the antifreeze out of the jugs or a bucket as was previousely suggested. In reference to turning the pump on and off. The battery disconnect can be used to power the pump on and off. It's the red knob in the basement water dock area, driver side of your RV when you're hooked up. Simply cut the battery power at that switch, then go in and turn your pump switch on. Go back outside and use the disconnect switch to toggle pump power on/off. Obviousely it needs to be daytime to do it this way since your lights will be turned off as well.

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
I find a great a great way to save anti freeze is to blow the the line out with an air compressor 1st. I'm always amazed at how much water comes out. Then I pump the anti freeze through. That way when I see pink at the faucet I know I'm done.

PS- If you do not have time to winterize it- you are not going to have the time to repair all the busted pipes in the spring either.
Oh, I have the time to winterize, just not the time to install a siphon kit this time.
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #23
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Don't forget the drain traps. There are at least three of them in almost all of our rigs: shower/tub, kitchen sink, and bathroom sink.

Yep, good ideas.....for additional ideas and a checklist for winterizing and de-winterizing, new-to-RV folks might want to take a look at the Checklists at my webpage below.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #24
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
To save time and prevent the "running back and forth", I use a 5 gallon container...
I like that idea, thanks!

Need Checklists?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #25
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp I am View Post
I have a 2012 327RES. DO NOT BUY the anti-freeze winterizing kit. ......
Thanks for that......I will have to save your post. Lots of good info there. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
Jabber2Jake

siphon hose

My dealer made me a siphon hose for about six buckazoids. It works great. Unscrew the panel under the refrigeratator, unhook the intake to the pump, hook up the hose, insert into a one gallon bottle of winterizer, go to it. What's the beef?
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #27
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
My dealer made me a siphon hose for about six buckazoids. It works great. Unscrew the panel under the refrigeratator, unhook the intake to the pump, hook up the hose, insert into a one gallon bottle of winterizer, go to it. What's the beef?
Which model RV?

Need Checklists?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp I am View Post
I have a 2012 327RES. DO NOT BUY the anti-freeze winterizing kit. Your water line from your fresh water tank goes straight into the water pump in the basment using a custom snap in type pipe fitting that is held in with a plastic clip, the kit will not have the right connections as it's designed to intersect a screw in fitting, so it's completely useless unless you go out and buy more hardware to MacGyver it all together. If you want a simpe way to winterize without putting the pink stuff in your fresh water tank you can get another one of those snap in fittings from your RV dealer and attach a length of hose to it long enough so that you can run the hose out of the basement. You can then snap the water line out, and then snap in the your home made anti-freeze hose/fitting combo, and you'll then be able to use the RV's pump to suck the antifreeze out of the jugs or a bucket as was previousely suggested. In reference to turning the pump on and off. The battery disconnect can be used to power the pump on and off. It's the red knob in the basement water dock area, driver side of your RV when you're hooked up. Simply cut the battery power at that switch, then go in and turn your pump switch on. Go back outside and use the disconnect switch to toggle pump power on/off. Obviousely it needs to be daytime to do it this way since your lights will be turned off as well.
True if you have a Flojet pump ( as I do) but if I remember correctly not true for a Surflo which uses screw in fittings..