Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
TerryWeir

BAL slide cable issue

Hello, looking for some advice. Have a broken lower cable on large slide. The slide is currently out. Fortunately, I'm in a park for the next few months so its not an immediate emergency. I have ordered and received a new cable assembly. My concern is the cable is very tight regardless of which way I try to pull it. I'm thinking it is all frayed and hung up on the pulleys which I can't see. Also, the slide is definitely tilting down. Any suggestions on how to proceed.
TerryWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

IT may require some help, but I would try to retract the room about 1/2 way. That way you can assess the job better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
dutchmensport

You'll need to remove the header over your slide to access the motor, the pullies, and the end of the cable where you tension it. You may also need to remove a side cover (trim) from the side of the slide (inside) so you can actually see the pullies.

If the cable is still there, ideally, you clip the old cable on the outside and use that cloth elastic sleave with a bit of tape to attach the old cable to the new one. Then it's simply a matter of pulling the new one through by pulling the old one out from the inside.

However, if the old one is broken and wires frayed, it's quite a different matter. Fishing the new cable through everything can be a real challenge. In theory, it's REALLY is very easy. In actual practice, space is so tight, it makes the job a horrible experience.

There are many, many YouTube videos on how to replace slide cables (bunches of them). Take some time and watch them. Like you said, you've got time, it doesn't have to be done right this moment. So, take some time and watch the videos until you get a good understanding of, not only how to re-install a broken cable, but also how to adjust, tension, and correct the slide alignment.

I've fixed my own a few times now (yes,... a few times), and currently have one that's started to fray. I do have the trailer in the shop right now for repacking the bearings and since it was there, I'm having them replace that frayed cable. I can do it, but I just don't feel like being a contortionist again, since it's in the shop anyway.

One thing I started doing was fixing that header on each of my slides so they can be easily removed. Here's how I did mine:

Old 11-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Nice write up with pictures!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide