Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Folkie

Thin Shade won't stay up

I installed a Thin Shade in our entry door when we first got the camper. Easy install since the door came prepped for it. It worked okay for the first 18 months or so, although a PITA to deploy since you have to open the door and separate the screen door to gain access to operate it.

Now it won't stay up on its own. Apparently, the lower attachment bar becomes distorted due to the heat of the sun allowing the cords to slack and the awing to creep down. Seems to be a poor design. Contacted Lippert to try to get a replacement bar but they don't sell parts. After a lot of back and forth they grudgingly provided a new screen. While this was going on DW had to have a functional screen, so I bought another. That one only survived a few weeks with this summer's heat waves before it started to sag.

Questions for the group:
Has anyone else had this issue?
Any suggestions for extending the life of the shade?
Alternative ideas?

I am thinking of trying to use some reflective tape to keep the sun off the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_145818.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	41622  
Old 09-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
travelin texans

Can't help with your dilemma as my last 5th wheels did not have a window in the door, only a peep hole. Prior to those the DW put a stained glass looking film on the door window.
However I removed the screen material on the last 5er & replaced it with tinted Lexan, best option ever, we could latch the door open for light & viewing while still running the A/C or furnace.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #3
BandT

Same but worse, we have two of them, both of them distorted in just a couple months. They are now none functional, would love a better alternative.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
Customer1

Two doors and each has a Thinshade for three years now without a problem.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Two doors and each has a Thinshade for three years now without a problem.
I assume that ours failed because when the camper is parked in our driveway the door faces the hot afternoon sun. Is yours parked in the shade?
Old 09-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I assume that ours failed because when the camper is parked in our driveway the door faces the hot afternoon sun. Is yours parked in the shade?
It's an RV, it is parked in the shade, the sun, the desert, and the mountains. In my driveway at home the windows usually face east and the entire RV is in the sun all day.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #7
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
It's an RV, it is parked in the shade, the sun, the desert, and the mountains. In my driveway at home the windows usually face east and the entire RV is in the sun all day.
Thanks for the info.
Don't know why my shades are more damaged than yours. Bottom line is the manufacturer should account for the fact that windows & doors of an RV will be exposed to the sun and design the shades to operate correctly. I shouldn't have to come up with ways to protect them from the sun.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:17 AM   #8
LHaven

I had desert sun issues when I installed Camco reflective shades inside both my door windows. My doors face west when parked at home. The reflected sun actually melted and sagged the inside black bezel (same spot, both doors). I installed a couple layers of aluminum foil over the bottom of the bezel inside the sunshade and the deterioration stopped. I would agree that reflective tape or light paint on that part might solve your problem.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
Pete::51

Try UV reflective film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Thanks for the info.
Don't know why my shades are more damaged than yours. Bottom line is the manufacturer should account for the fact that windows & doors of an RV will be exposed to the sun and design the shades to operate correctly. I shouldn't have to come up with ways to protect them from the sun.
We haven’t had an issue with our Thin Shades, but we usually keep them up during the day time and close them for privacy at night. That way heat doesn’t build up between the window and the shade. If you are using your shades to reduce heat gain in your trailer, you might want to apply a UV reflective film to the window. That will significantly reduce the heat gain through the window. The film is cheap and easy to install.
Pete::51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete::51 View Post
We haven’t had an issue with our Thin Shades, but we usually keep them up during the day time and close them for privacy at night. That way heat doesn’t build up between the window and the shade. If you are using your shades to reduce heat gain in your trailer, you might want to apply a UV reflective film to the window. That will significantly reduce the heat gain through the window. The film is cheap and easy to install.
We used to have the shade up during the day (when it would stay up). That may actually have exposed the lower bar to more sun & heat causing it to warp. When we are camping the awning is usually out shading the door, but parked in the driveway it gets full afternoon sun. That's why I am going to try some ways to reflect or shade it from the sun.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #11
adm1949

We had the same problem in one of our doors. We store our trailer in an enclosed building so I don't think the sun was the cause. I couldn't get it to stay up so I put a 5 inch piece of double sided Gorilla tape on the top and reseated it. It hasn't dropped down since.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #12
TimC

I think the thin shades are garbage. I actually bought the knock off versions (for a lot cheaper) last winter. Both shades (I have two doors) warped badly by the end of this summer, so I figured it was a “get what you pay for” thing. Turns out no, they’re all garbage. I bought the Lippert version and put it in. It warped in about a week. I live in WI, it was September, and I was parked in some pretty thick woods so lots of shade. Yet it still warped. At least it happened quick so I could return it for my money back.

My solution was to go back to using reflectix velcroed over the window. Never had a problem with that in my old rig. A heck of a lot cheaper too.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #13
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
At least it happened quick so I could return it for my money back.

My solution was to go back to using reflectix velcroed over the window. Never had a problem with that in my old rig. A heck of a lot cheaper too.
You were lucky it failed quickly so you could return it. Mine made it past the return and warranted periods.

I like the Reflectix idea. DW is not a fan of my cutting out pieces to block windows ("Why do we have windows if you are just going to cover them all with bubble wrap." )

In this case I will likely plan for a small gap at the top. That way we can have privacy at night but still see outside during the day.