Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #1
jasin1

Generator ground rod

was looking at the predator 3500 user manual and they say that you should always have a ground rod hooked up while using…Generac says similar especially they note of hooking up to a building or rv…any thoughts?
seems crazy to drive a 8 ft brass or copper ground rod every place i boondock…

i’ve had many generators and never did that..they say when using extension cords for power tools it’s not needed but when hooking up to rv or building yes
Old 08-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
was looking at the predator 3500 user manual and they say that you should always have a ground rod hooked up while using…Generac says similar especially they note of hooking up to a building or rv…any thoughts?
seems crazy to drive a 8 ft brass or copper ground rod every place i boondock…

i’ve had many generators and never did that..they say when using extension cords for power tools it’s not needed but when hooking up to rv or building yes
https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...g-model-44400/
Old 08-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
jasin1

yeah i have one of them and use it for the rv …the ground rod seems like overkill but it’s in the electric code that if your using extension cord powered small tools then it’s not required but if you connect to any building, structure or trailer you need to use a proper ground rod https://www.jadelearning.com/blog/gr...le-generators/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73889C75-B1C5-4F75-A65F-93FA0ED642EF.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	41245  
Old 08-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

This has been an on again off again conversation but I haven't seen it come up in a few years. My generator at home says the same and by code I have a ground rod next to it and the generator feeds a manual transfer switch. I don't know of any camper that uses a ground rod and with a bonded neutral plug it isn't necessary as the odds of loosing the neutral and the ground is pretty slim.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
bobbecky

This is from Mike Sokol who has the answer: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...nding-bonding/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
yeah i have one of them and use it for the rv …the ground rod seems like overkill but it’s in the electric code that if your using extension cord powered small tools then it’s not required but if you connect to any building, structure or trailer you need to use a proper ground rod https://www.jadelearning.com/blog/gr...le-generators/
You might want to read it again.. What it says is not applicable to an RV unless you are also plugged into shore power and using a transfer switch to switch between the portable genset and shore power..

I know that I am not plugged into shore power when using my genset and I'm pretty sure that no one else is, if powering an RV through the power plug.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
jasin1

alright thanks everybody..i was just looking thru my HF manual and saw this..i guess i needed to read a little bit more into it…i will ground it for my house in an emergency but otherwise i’m good thanks..and your right Javi i should have paid more attention to the article
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20C1E6FF-69D3-41FF-A74A-7AD5E12EF435.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	41248  
Old 08-20-2022, 03:45 AM   #8
Weldon

Quote:
alright thanks everybody..i was just looking thru my HF manual and saw this..i guess i needed to read a little bit more into it…i will ground it for my house in an emergency but otherwise i’m good thanks..and your right Javi i should have paid more attention to the article
I have one for the house...had it for probably 5 years now. Still starts on first pull. I have a copper rod by the corner of the house. Never considered taking the generator camping. That thing is heavy and loud, but when the power goes out at home, I don't care. It's worked better than I could've asked for.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
ChuckS

Been running gensets with my RVs for many man6 years.,old open frame units and currently Honda 2000s

Never used a ground rod with any of them..

If the installation is for a house then that’s a different flavor all together

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

If you desire to install a ground rod with your camper's generator here in the Texas Hill Country, call me so I can watch. You can get through the top soil of about 1/8" then hit ROCK. A rock auger attachment on a big tractor was needed to dig the hole for my first light pole and it took them 6 hours. I put a ground rod in for my shop and got to about a foot with a hammer drill and it just wore me out. The shop box better be grounded with a foot of the Hill Country around the rod. It is grounded at the pole source where I pulled the feeder line from anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If you desire to install a ground rod with your camper's generator here in the Texas Hill Country, call me so I can watch. You can get through the top soil of about 1/8" then hit ROCK. A rock auger attachment on a big tractor was needed to dig the hole for my first light pole and it took them 6 hours. I put a ground rod in for my shop and got to about a foot with a hammer drill and it just wore me out. The shop box better be grounded with a foot of the Hill Country around the rod. It is grounded at the pole source where I pulled the feeder line from anyway.

George skip the small stuff....dynamite. We were building a cabin in the woods and they built us a power line. The holes for the poles all had to be "opened" with dynamite. All well and good, we got used to the "boom/whoomphs" but when I was sitting in the trailer one day eating a sandwich and about a 3 lb. rock hit the roof of the trailer I almost jumped out a window. So, use it with care...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator