Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #21
bsmith0404

That’s a strange setup, I don’t see/understand the reason for independent front landing gear if it’s not auto level. That’s a recipe for
Problems as the motors age. It’s inevitable that the problem the OP is experiencing is going to happen. If he has one motor lagging, it seems almost natural that replacing one aged motor will create the same problem with the other side.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

I remember years ago when there was 3 rocker switches. One for each jack and one that operated both.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0004397.pdf

On page 8 I suspect is what the OP has. It is the GC 3.0 "prep" setup if the full auto level system is not installed, which is optional on his trailer. Looks like a toggle switch for front and back?? From everything I can find if it doesn't have auto level, which is optional and he doesn't have apparently, it has powered front jacks and powered rear stabilizers vs jacks. I'm thinking maybe the independent motors for the front jacks are just a prep for the auto level installation which would control them independently. Without that ability it would seem that those front jack motors would definitely start to operate at different speeds....with no way to correct them. Replacing those motors is an expensive proposition and on a 2021 model seems like Lippert should have some skin in that deal.

On the other hand I'm not sure why the jacks won't continue to retract if one is a bit longer than the other. Mine does that all the time and when one is fully retracted and the other isn't it stops while the other continues until it is completely in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny: GC 3.0 has a controller that uses the “Hall effect” to sense the position of the jack outer leg. Without that controller, and it sounds like he doesn’t have it, they will both operate and I can see why he is having the issues he has. A simple fix would be to just put another rocker switch for the “other” jack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #25
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's a link:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0004397.pdf

On page 8 I suspect is what the OP has. It is the GC 3.0 "prep" setup if the full auto level system is not installed, which is optional on his trailer. Looks like a toggle switch for front and back?? From everything I can find if it doesn't have auto level, which is optional and he doesn't have apparently, it has powered front jacks and powered rear stabilizers vs jacks. I'm thinking maybe the independent motors for the front jacks are just a prep for the auto level installation which would control them independently. Without that ability it would seem that those front jack motors would definitely start to operate at different speeds....with no way to correct them. Replacing those motors is an expensive proposition and on a 2021 model seems like Lippert should have some skin in that deal.

On the other hand I'm not sure why the jacks won't continue to retract if one is a bit longer than the other. Mine does that all the time and when one is fully retracted and the other isn't it stops while the other continues until it is completely in.
This is exactly the set up

As for the rear stabilizer the side that touches first does wait for the other to catch up. I have not tried this on the front maybe it will as well this is something that I will try as maybe this is the way to keep them evened up each time of the are at different speeds. Worth a trial.

The salesman told me they could install the automatic levers but if it were him he wouldn’t spend the additional money because leveling without them was easy. Knowing that at least the front is set up already I wonder if the price for the controls and the other stabilizers/jacks. Something I will look into at least.

If they do not self level as sourdough suggests they might the later post from Chuckster that says just add a second toggle is the cheapest and easiest way forward
Old 07-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
This is exactly the set up

As for the rear stabilizer the side that touches first does wait for the other to catch up. I have not tried this on the front maybe it will as well this is something that I will try as maybe this is the way to keep them evened up each time of the are at different speeds. Worth a trial.

The salesman told me they could install the automatic levers but if it were him he wouldn’t spend the additional money because leveling without them was easy. Knowing that at least the front is set up already I wonder if the price for the controls and the other stabilizers/jacks. Something I will look into at least.

If they do not self level as sourdough suggests they might the later post from Chuckster that says just add a second toggle is the cheapest and easiest way forward

You know you might call LCI and ask them exactly what would be required to upgrade the "prep" GC 3.0 to the full system. If you have the jacks and motors looks like all you need is the controller and sensing devices (didn't look at doc, from memory). If it's all plug and play might be a simple swap. As far as the salesman saying it was "easy" without the system....that was a salesman selling you on what he had. Yes, it's not hard to level without an auto level system but it IS more involved. Your jacks only elevate the front or the rear, no side to side. You could use blocks/levelers on the tires as I always used to do or add those devices to get full auto level. Another option just came to mind; maybe you could put an additional toggle switch on both the front and rear so you then had control of each jack. Then just use a level and operate the jacks manually until you were level??
Old 07-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #27
Opa 1

Quote:
You know you might call LCI and ask them exactly what would be required to upgrade the "prep" GC 3.0 to the full system. If you have the jacks and motors looks like all you need is the controller and sensing devices (didn't look at doc, from memory). If it's all plug and play might be a simple swap. As far as the salesman saying it was "easy" without the system....that was a salesman selling you on what he had. Yes, it's not hard to level without an auto level system but it IS more involved. Your jacks only elevate the front or the rear, no side to side. You could use blocks/levelers on the tires as I always used to do or add those devices to get full auto level. Another option just came to mind; maybe you could put an additional toggle switch on both the front and rear so you then had control of each jack. Then just use a level and operate the jacks manually until you were level??
Yeah basically self leveling with the toggle switches an interesting thought

First I will call lippert and get their thoughts. I did some searching and you can buy the full kit on Amazon for about $3400. And I do not need the full kit so maybe an upgrade???

Thank you for the ideas
Old 07-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

IIRC the "kit" includes the jacks, motors etc. I was thinking since you had the "prep" package (I guess) with all the individual jacks and wiring in place that the component costs to upgrade to the controller and sensors would be much less. Lippert can probably tell you or at least tell you where to find out.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:25 AM   #29
Opa 1

Quote:
IIRC the "kit" includes the jacks, motors etc. I was thinking since you had the "prep" package (I guess) with all the individual jacks and wiring in place that the component costs to upgrade to the controller and sensors would be much less. Lippert can probably tell you or at least tell you where to find out.
Thank you, I will be calling later today
Old 07-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #30
meaz93*

I had an interesting and slightly annoying situation over the weekend camping up in Prescott AZ.
It rained pretty heavy with high winds which was nice ( not the high winds!) as the temps & humidity were higher than normal due to the Monsoon season.
After the dogs walked me Real Good-lol....I start to rap up all the gear.
I notice that I forgot to lock the cover on the Bal 7.3 Auto Level System....and their was about a good cup of rain water>crap!
I wipe it all out and go about my business; slides in , disconnectall hoses, remove wheel chalks, than hit the auto reconnect button> all is well.....except for the driver side stabilizer jack?
I try everything!> WD 40...manual mode on Bal 7.3, back to auto mode> several times...
Finally I bust out the impact wrench to manually retract.
I start with the CLACK CLACK of the wrench ( yeah it's a pinch loud ) than the Camp OP Maintaince guy rolls up in his golf cart[emoji849] I'm ready for him to scold me for the noise, but he was cool and watched me soak the bolt / screw Jack mechanism and said that I was going a out it in the right way[emoji1696]
A very long story short-lol.....got the jack up and back to the Basin we headed[emoji106]
Never had an issue with the Auto Leveling System....BUT it did get soaked so that's on me - another lesson learned!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_085857.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	40849
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #31
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I had an interesting and slightly annoying situation over the weekend camping up in Prescott AZ.
It rained pretty heavy with high winds which was nice ( not the high winds!) as the temps & humidity were higher than normal due to the Monsoon season.
After the dogs walked me Real Good-lol....I start to rap up all the gear.
I notice that I forgot to lock the cover on the Bal 7.3 Auto Level System....and their was about a good cup of rain water>crap!
I wipe it all out and go about my business; slides in , disconnectall hoses, remove wheel chalks, than hit the auto reconnect button> all is well.....except for the driver side stabilizer jack?
I try everything!> WD 40...manual mode on Bal 7.3, back to auto mode> several times...
Finally I bust out the impact wrench to manually retract.
I start with the CLACK CLACK of the wrench ( yeah it's a pinch loud ) than the Camp OP Maintaince guy rolls up in his golf cart[emoji849] I'm ready for him to scold me for the noise, but he was cool and watched me soak the bolt / screw Jack mechanism and said that I was going a out it in the right way[emoji1696]
A very long story short-lol.....got the jack up and back to the Basin we headed[emoji106]
Never had an issue with the Auto Leveling System....BUT it did get soaked so that's on me - another lesson learned!
Attachment 40849
Wow that is a good lesson to tell so we all can learn. Glad you going, maybe when the system dries out it will be fully functioning again
Old 07-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #32
meaz93*

Today I checked the system and low and behold everything worked perfect....its only like 100° today so I think it dried out!-lol
I was super ready to get underneath the Outback....maybe have to locate the leveling system module somewhere in the master bed room closet and or under the bed, etc?....
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:34 AM   #33
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Today I checked the system and low and behold everything worked perfect....its only like 100° today so I think it dried out!-lol
I was super ready to get underneath the Outback....maybe have to locate the leveling system module somewhere in the master bed room closet and or under the bed, etc?....
That is good news. To me it is always better when things fix themselves
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #34
Halcyon

Call Lippert’s help line. They are amazingly helpful with anything to do with the GC 3.0. I had an error message on the screen for my left front, which wouldn’t work. Called Lippert and they walked me through the entire system fix. Took over an hour, and they stayed with me the whole time. Had to run to the door of the garage each time, tho, as my wifi from the house doesn’t quite reach to the inside of the detached garage.
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #35
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Call Lippert’s help line. They are amazingly helpful with anything to do with the GC 3.0. I had an error message on the screen for my left front, which wouldn’t work. Called Lippert and they walked me through the entire system fix. Took over an hour, and they stayed with me the whole time. Had to run to the door of the garage each time, tho, as my wifi from the house doesn’t quite reach to the inside of the detached garage.
Thank you. I actually plan to work on it tomorrow and your suggestion may come in handy