Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
Z71

Cougar 24RDS Inverter/Solar question

Im getting ready to add a solar panel (or 2) to the roof, my unit came equipped with a charge controller but no panel on the roof or inverter.

I am wanting to also add and Xantrex inverter used by Keystone but here's a few question. I noticed where the inverter usually mounts there is a section of romex that looks like where the inverter would connect.

My question is about the Xantrex inverter, does it automatically switch on if it doesn't see AC and does the output of the inverter feed only specific outlets or does the Xantrex require manual intervention to use it.

My owners manual is worthless as well as Keystone who says you need to go to an authorized dealer...... I guess it would be much easier if Keystone had just included a schematic on their power systems.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
wrvond

I find it difficult to believe you have an MPPT and inverter prep but no existing solar panel.
The yellow romex is to be attached to the inverter to power up to seven outlets in the camper (I’ve counted seven in mine).
Xantrex sells a variety of inverters, some are auto switch and some are not.
Keystone does provide information in the owner’s section that lists the manufacturers and models of the components they use in the assembly of each SolarFlex design.
While Keystone won’t sell the kits direct to the public, the information is available and you can purchase from the manufacturers of each component.

Here is the system schematic for the SolarFlex 600i:
https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...User+Guide.pdf

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Z71

I have a Zamp Solar 30A Controller ZS-30A mounted on the front bulkhead and it is tied into the battery string and the other side is connected to the wiring that goes up to the roof connectors. No panels though. But the romex is right where it should be. Seems a couple of panels and finding the right xantrex inverter and I should be very close.

My unit is a 2020 and from what I can make out the first version of the 24RDS. My conversations with Keystone and it is apparent they have no clue what they installed in this unit. Im going to try to find out the model number of the xantrex that was optional in my unit and go from there.

You mentioned 7 outlets you found in yours, was the frig. one of them?
Thanks for posting the manual,
Old 07-13-2022, 03:04 AM   #4
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
I have a Zamp Solar 30A Controller ZS-30A mounted on the front bulkhead and it is tied into the battery string and the other side is connected to the wiring that goes up to the roof connectors. No panels though. But the romex is right where it should be. Seems a couple of panels and finding the right xantrex inverter and I should be very close.

My unit is a 2020 and from what I can make out the first version of the 24RDS. My conversations with Keystone and it is apparent they have no clue what they installed in this unit. Im going to try to find out the model number of the xantrex that was optional in my unit and go from there.

You mentioned 7 outlets you found in yours, was the frig. one of them?
Thanks for posting the manual,
I understand now. You're right - I feel I got lucky waiting until this year to buy a new camper, though we started talking about it seriously at least a couple years ago. Keystone appears to have taken an incremental approach to adding functionality to their products. 2020 and 2021 models aren't nearly as "complete" as the 2022's.
The refrigerator outlet on my camper is not one of the seven inverted outlets, as far as I know. I have a 12 volt only fridge and the back is inaccessible without removing the unit. I would expect that if you have a residential refrigerator that outlet would be inverted, though.
Not sure I can remember where all mine are:
1. bedside
2. kitchen counter
3. television
4. underneath television cabinet
5. pass through

Sorry, I can't remember off-hand where I found the other two and camper is currently up on jacks as I'm putting new tires on and don't want to walk around inside at the moment. I will look later, though.

Keystone does a great job of spreading useful information out between seemingly unrelated documents.
I'm far from a solar expert - in fact I'm wishing I had simply purchased my camper with the SolarFlex 600i installed from the get-go. I didn't anticipate needing much solar (if any) based on my past camping style, but I'm now seeing that reduced services and crowding are pushing us toward more primitive type sites. Blue Boys and water bladders are easy fixes, but power is a much larger challenge.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are so many different ways to go about installing or upgrading the solar on our campers. Personally, I lean toward picking a SolarFlex "level" and imitating that particular configuration - including each model of component used by Keystone.
Your original post says you only want to add a panel or two and connect the inverter ready outlets, which would basically be completing the SolarFlex 400i system.
If you look at the 400i quick start guide, it provides information concerning each of the components and links to the manuals of the components used:
400i quick start guide
However, I note the links to both invertors no longer work.

The 400i troubleshooting guide also provides useful information:
https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...ngGuide_v4.pdf

Finally, the SolarFlex FAQ fills in several informational gaps as well:
SolarFlex FAQ

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:44 AM   #5
peanut

And there is this:
https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-200-overview

Scroll down to the "EXPAND YOUR SYSTEM" section. It gives part numbers - though I had no luck googling any of them. Maybe you could get a dealer parts dept to at least tell you brand and models of the different numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-07-13 at 07.32.29.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	40685  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Personally I would start with what romex do you have sticking out - white or yellow? That will drive what type of inverter you can get...you will also want to flick the circuit breaker for that romex and analyze which outlets in the unit work/don't work (don't work are the solar outlets).

For the 12V GE fridge that Keystone started using in the 2020-2021 builds, I found that you need more than the 200W solar panel and somewhere in the 250+ range for solar alone...and minimal anything else on the trip. (This is totally unscientific and 'weather driven assessment'). I currently have 510 (3 170W zamp panels).

The other part of the 'upgrade list' that I did not see it the battery cabling. The bigger the inverter - the larger (thicker the cables). This includes not only the cable between the batteries, but the cables between dual batteries.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #7
Z71

My fridge is a 8cf Dometic, my hope is 2 solar panels could generate enough power to run it just incase I would run out of propane.

Obviously trying to run the AC is out (would need a 3k gen for that)

As far as the inverted Keystone used I have been told it was a: Freedom X 2000 Pure sign wave inverter with built in transfer switch, if it senses AC on the input side it simply passed it through the inverter to the output where it is connected to the dedicated Inverted outlets.

If it see no AC input or the AC gets interrupted it converts 12volts from the batteries to 110volts. If the input AC is restored it switches off the inverter and just cuts the source AC back online

So far I have not been able to find any sources for it, out of stock everywhere and not cheap as well, look to drop about $800 for it.

First as suggested I plan on checking out how many outlets and where they are. I will also pull the outside fridge panels and see if that AC outlet is also in the inverted feed. I will hook up a KillaWatt up to it to see its actual draw.

Considering how popular camping has become and how much more difficult it is to get spots being able to add off the grid spots for camping would be great.

I think 2 possibly 3 panels, and a 3rd battery plus some beefed up wiring to the batteries and to the solar panels would be a great start, if I can pick up the Xantrex inverter and a little work we are good to go.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

If your only concern is exhausting your LP tanks for the fridge it would be far less expensive to purchase a back up LP tank. The LP fridge uses a very small amount of gas. If you're talking about the circuit for the inverter for a "solar redy" unit then the fridge heater will not be in that loop. My understanding is only units with residential fridges get an inverter and it's dedicated to the fridge only.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The Dometic refrigerator electric heating element is rated 325 watts@120VAC.
That's 2.7 amps. To power that through an inverter from the batteries would require 27 amps @12VDC. It wouldn't take very long to deplete a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries with that kind of draw. It's far, FAR more efficient to carry a spare propane tank than to try to recharge batteries with that kind of electrical draw. In practice, an 8 cuft Dometic refrigerator will run for around 30 days on a 20 pound propane tank, so trying to "reinvent a solar wheel" to power the electric heating element wouldn't be cost effective, nor would it be very practical in most settings.

There's a reason why Dometic has "stuck with the tried and true"... It's reliable, it's cheap to operate and it's durable. I'd suspect that you'd have more issues with the solar system on rainy or cloudy days than you'd ever have refilling a propane tank on a monthly basis.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
So far I have not been able to find any sources for it, out of stock everywhere and not cheap as well, look to drop about $800 for it.
It seems available:

https://nvnmarine.com/products/78164...iABEgIxpvD_BwE
93 available - - $695

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Freed...7838280&sr=8-3
1 available - - $740

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13414203677...SABEgIF2vD_BwE
10 available -- $630

But I agree with Marshall - - if your concern is the refrigerator, it is much, much cheaper to just carry an extra propane tank. 50 - 60 bucks and whatever it costs to fill it. It won't take but a trip or two or three off-grid trips to figure out if running out of propane is a real issue. If it is, you are covered with the extra tank. If it is not, you have a tank for the BBQ / grill or propane fire pit.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Z71

Change in direction...

Greats posts all, this info helped a great deal, I will still get the panels, inverter but forget about trying to run the fridge, gonna add an extra propane bottle to the packing list, that should solve the fridge issue plus I can also use it for the fire pit. lol

Cheers...
Old 07-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #12
rlh1957

Are you sure you have a charge controller behind that solar prep fake box cover?

Quite unusual to put a charge controller on anything unless you know what wattage panels you are going to use.

Charge controllers are matched to how much wattage and panels you install.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:45 AM   #13
Superchief05

I have a 2021 Montana HC 372RD. It came with the solar prep for the Solarflex 200. As part of the prep, there are stickers on the outlets that will be powered by the inverter. Also in the circuit breaker panel there is a CB labeled “Solar” which is for those outlets. I am planning to install components to have 600W of solar panels, and instead of the Xantrex inverter I am going to use the Magnum CSW 2012 inverter which is also a recommended inverter for the system. But I believe you could use most any 2000W inverter with an internal transfer switch.

I found reasonable solar panels at Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, www.solar-electric.com. lower prices than the company that provides the equipment for the SolarFlex system.
Superchief05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, inverter, solar