Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
MurphyIRE

Adding LED Bar light

Okay I picked up two LED strip tail lights and I will run them vertically from the old lights to increase my rear visibility. Of course the new lights are 3 wires, red, black and white. I know the white is ground. The pics show my wires on the old lights. When the lights were installed it must have been a Friday afternoon or early Monday morning installation. The right fixture is a left light, so someone out there has two rights. They work. I just added the LED to reduce the heat. There's no spare wire to pull out. SO, I'll try the splice pony tail unless someone has a better idea. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar light - 3 wire.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	40672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left light.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	40673   Click image for larger version

Name:	right light.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	40674   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire connection.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	40675  
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
Socaldave

The original fixtures have three wires as well, white, black and green. You may have to remove the fixture from the trailer to access all the wires. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the "new LED lights" have 2 functions: Tail light/Brake light...

The "Old light fixtures" have two functions: Tail Light/Brake Light...

There are 3 wires on both: Ground/Tail Light/Brake Light.

You'll need to remove the old fixture to access the ground wire which is not visible on the exterior (under the red lens) of the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAIL LIGHT.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	40686  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:57 AM   #4
MurphyIRE

Of course, the new LED replacement lights didn't work. Even though they are the designated replacement for 1156 and 1157 incandescent bulbs. Put the old bulbs back in and they worked! I saw another replacement bulb, so I give that a try. The white wire is attached to the back of the metal bracket and I attached to the front. The New LED bars didn't work, so I'll experiment tomorrow and update the thread. For giggles, I hooked up and old incandescent light and it worked perfectly.
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyIRE View Post
Of course, the new LED replacement lights didn't work. Even though they are the designated replacement for 1156 and 1157 incandescent bulbs. Put the old bulbs back in and they worked! I saw another replacement bulb, so I give that a try. The white wire is attached to the back of the metal bracket and I attached to the front. The New LED bars didn't work, so I'll experiment tomorrow and update the thread. For giggles, I hooked up and old incandescent light and it worked perfectly.
Replacement lights or lamps? I replaced ours with LED replacement fixtures years ago. The original incandescent units were too dim to see in direct sunlight. Just a note, replacing an incandescent lamp in a tailight fixture with a white LED lamp doesn't work. You need to use LEDs that emit a red color.

If you want to pull the wires out from the taillights you'll need to break the seal, remove the screws, and gently pry off the fixtures. The hole where the wires exit the rear wall does not align with the hole in the fixture. As for a left or right fixture the only difference is the lense. The left lense has a clear plastic section under it to illuminate the liscence plate. With the LED fixture there is a difference as the left fixture has white LEDs at the bottom to illuminate the tag.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light