Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
SandyBurg

Bottom liner repair

Long story short the dealer (Camping World - need I say more) cut a hole in the underbelly of our one year old 365MB Avalanche (they swore they would remove the liner). Well, their repair lasted a few months and broke. So we had to pull the tape that they had used down to fix their mistake. Now we need to seal it back up before our next long trip. We re-used what they had and it made it home. But I don't want to chance rain getting up into that area.

Suggestions on how best to make a permanent repair. Thank you in advance, you are all awesome with your help.

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Did they use scrim tape?

Only real “permanent” repair would be replacement of the coroplast. Otherwise if applied properly, scrim tape will stay stuck on for a LOOONG time:

https://www.amazon.com/QPN-Mobile-Fl...%2C126&sr=8-16

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Agree, that tape works great. I wouldn’t go through the hassle and expense to replace the colorplast. That tape will do just fine. You can buy on Amazon like Chuck linked or get a smaller amount from a dealer for about $1 per foot.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
MurphyIRE

Most of the coroplast is pretty thin, about .15 inch. This is thicker (.393 inch over 9 mil) but it's white and it ain't cheap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...6-WT/206084782
But my trailer has had several repairs at least 5 openings (nothing leaks as of today) and all sagging. I want to open up the belly and look at adding some additional insulation. I will do a better job of securing the coroplast to the frame and then use tape to seal the joints
The tape is going to be a lot easier, faster and cheaper. (watch for my thread later)
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #5
RedDwarf

I have a 2022 30RKD. Dealer had to cut 4x6” hole to access some wiring. Noticed a few week later that the hole (flap)was not re-closed. Forums and other searches all referenced Gorilla tape, scrim tape, and other similar fixes. Nothing stayed more than a couple of days! Turns out that my chloroplast underbelly (standard used) has a felt covering applied to it to help with insulation. If you have this, nothing will stick to it. Have to use small piece of wood and screw flap to it. Silicon optional after doing so.
RedDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyIRE View Post
Most of the coroplast is pretty thin, about .15 inch. This is thicker (.393 inch over 9 mil) but it's white and it ain't cheap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...6-WT/206084782
But my trailer has had several repairs at least 5 openings (nothing leaks as of today) and all sagging. I want to open up the belly and look at adding some additional insulation. I will do a better job of securing the coroplast to the frame and then use tape to seal the joints
The tape is going to be a lot easier, faster and cheaper. (watch for my thread later)
If you buy 4x8 sheets of coroplast, you're going to have to cut them to fit the trailer frame rails. The rails are about 70" apart, so you're going to have "lots of seams as you piece the sheets together" or you're going to have nearly as much waste as you do usable coroplast to install. Any RV dealership has (or can order) coroplast cut and rolled in a single piece to fit any trailer. The "RV Coroplast" is sold by the foot and comes rolled, ready to install under your trailer. Granted, it's a PITA to "thread it between the axles and the trailer bottom", but you get a single, waterproof underbelly without any tape every 4 feet.

The "plus" for me, is that using "a single roll of "RV coroplast", for the price of 12' (3 sheets) of HomeDepot coroplast, you can do the entire bottom of a 30' trailer. Much cheaper and much more waterproof since it's a single piece with no seals to tape.

Here's one source, but as I said, any RV dealership can order the length you need to fit your trailer. https://www.recpro.com/1-8-extreme-d...BoCeOQQAvD_BwE

I usually keep it on hand in my pole barn to use for everything from closing off the under-seat area of my farm tractor to making temporary mud flaps for my 4 wheeler, to building a temporary "chicken house" to keep young quail warm and protected in the spring. I think I've got about 30' stashed in the corner. It's light enough that with a bungee cord tie down wrapped around it, I can pick it up with one hand to move it around. The only "drawback" I have encountered is that coroplast does have a "shape memory" so if it's been rolled up for a while, you'll need to unroll it in the sun so it will get hot enough to "forget the rolls". Otherwise, it'll take a while for it to remember it's supposed to lay flat under your RV.....

ADDED: It's also available on Amazon with free delivery for PRIME members: https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Grade-C...0857KJZWD?th=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote