Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2022, 04:55 AM   #1
Beernutzbob

I need to learn how to reinstall a microwave

Yesterday we finished the longest leg of our 3,500 mile Gulf Coast to Denver round trip and when I opened the door to the camper in our home cul-de-sac I was saddened to see the scene pictured below.

Notice the hole in the bathroom door the mwave made on the way down to the floor. Amazingly the microwave, while cosmetically not unblemished, still works but I'm sure I can improve on the original mounting brackets with the help of this forum. Anyone have any constructive suggestions?

Old 07-08-2022, 05:17 AM   #2
curtiscapk

Yikes! I won't be near mine for another week to see exactly how it's mounted. You better believe I'm going to now. On a side note we just returned from our annual summer trip to Dauphin Island! Maybe we can meet up next year.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:18 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The wood stiles into which the microwave oven facing are attached are not strong enough to hold the "wood screws" that almost always loosen or strip out the holes. We have a rear kitchen floorplan and our microwave is mounted in a cabinet on the rear wall of the trailer. It's subject to a tremendous amount of "road shock" and I always found the 4 screws loose, but fortunately the microwave stayed in place.

I "fixed the problem" by using 3 prong nuts behind the wood stiles and changing out the wood screws for bolts that fit the 3 prong nuts. I also used loc-tite on the threads to keep the bolts from loosening. That was 5 or 6 years ago and the microwave is still "in place and secure."

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...ee-Nut/3025387
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NUT INSERT.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	40620  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
Beernutzbob

Hey thanks very much for the suggestion-that looks like just the ticket. I picked up 4 of those Hillman nuts at Lowe's today though I'm going to have to find enough 3/8-16 bolts at another HW store as Lowe's only had one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The wood stiles into which the microwave oven facing are attached are not strong enough to hold the "wood screws" that almost always loosen or strip out the holes. We have a rear kitchen floorplan and our microwave is mounted in a cabinet on the rear wall of the trailer. It's subject to a tremendous amount of "road shock" and I always found the 4 screws loose, but fortunately the microwave stayed in place.

I "fixed the problem" by using 3 prong nuts behind the wood stiles and changing out the wood screws for bolts that fit the 3 prong nuts. I also used loc-tite on the threads to keep the bolts from loosening. That was 5 or 6 years ago and the microwave is still "in place and secure."

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...ee-Nut/3025387
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutzbob View Post
Hey thanks very much for the suggestion-that looks like just the ticket. I picked up 4 of those Hillman nuts at Lowe's today though I'm going to have to find enough 3/8-16 bolts at another HW store as Lowe's only had one.
The supply chain is still in a dizzy for hardware. I have to really search for Japanese Industrial Standard hardware of a specific type where it used to be pretty available. Most of this stuff comes from China or Germany. Why not Japan I have no idea.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
German Shepherd Guy

Yes on the hardware issue. I was repairing a flint lock rifle the other day and needed a #12 screw. Hardware bin only had #10"s and then jumped to 1/4". Went home and my tape set had no #12 either, lost thru the years I suppose. I ended up having to order a new hammer bolt from the lock maker. Unbelievable.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
Knucklehead

try dixie gun works next time they are the largest black powder business in the world check dixiegunworks.com
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:05 AM   #8
notanlines

Burt might be a 'Knucklehead,' but he's on the money about Dixie Gun Works and Auto Museum, Union City, Tennessee. Even if you are not a black powder aficionado (I'm not) if you are anywhere near the city, take a break and spend a couple hours just in the museum section. Well worth your time.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote