Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 AM   #1
Tazman22

2019 Alpine 3710FL

We just bought an Alpine and they informed us that it was winterized using the compressed method. Since i am new to this, what is the way to dewinterize the rig. Thank you in advanced for all responses.
Tazman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

By "compressed" method I am assuming they mean compressed air. If so there's not much to dewinterizing since all they do is blow out the lines with a compressor.

You need to look at your water heater, the plug is probably out of it and needs to be put back in. The low point water drains may be open and need to be closed. They could have screw on caps or valves that you turn. Check your fresh water tank drain to make sure it's closed. Make sure all the faucets are closed, they may or may not have left them cracked open. Your water heater is probably in bypass so you need to access the bypass lever in the convenience center and turn it on.

You need to get it all sealed up and water pressure on it to see if you have leaks. Grants is too far N and higher in elevation to just use compressed air to winterize IMO. You could possibly have some cracked lines/fixtures if not winterized properly.

Edit: OP might research exactly what trailer year/model they have. I could not find a 2019 Montana 3710FL. It appears they were discontinued (guess) prior to 2019.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Yes
Do everything Danny listed and since you are "new to this " be sure to use a pressure regulator when you hook up and fill your water lines and hot water tank.
You may already know this, but thought it was worth mentioning to avoid "that problem "
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
Gary R.

Greetings fellow Alpine owner!

I've always used rv anti-freeze (the pink stuff) for winterizing, and have no experience with the compressed air method.

We do enjoy the front living room, it is perfect for us!

Have fun and travel safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
jasin1

I use my vacuum pump to evacuate the compressed air …should be ready to go after that
Old 04-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
jasin1

Just kidding..welcome to the forum!
Old 04-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #7
Tazman22

Thanks yes, they said lines were blown with compressed air and ran dry before using rv antifreeze and poured down each drain in the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and washer/dryer hookup...unit has no washer in dryer in it. So it sounds like i just run water through the system and flush all the pink stuff out and then do a pressure test all while leaving it bypassed. and will 30psi be enough pressure.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

There's a difference between using the antifreeze in the P traps vs being in the water lines. Sounds like they blew it out then put antifreeze in the P traps which is what I do in W TX but it is warmer there (and in an insulated storage facility). Make sure everything is buttoned up like I mentioned earlier, leave it in bypass and turn on a faucet; from the description I bet all you see is clear water (turn on hot and cold) and the antifreeze is only in the traps. Once you make sure that is clear you could open the bypass and let water into the water heater. I would leave the plug out, particularly if there was pink antifreeze in your water lines. Make sure clear water comes out of the water heater tank and not pink. If it's pink you need to spend some time flushing it. Turn off the water, replace the plug, turn on the water and fill the tank. Open a hot water faucet until water comes out of it and it stops spitting and coughing. Now you can move to turning on whatever heat source you are going to use to heat the tank.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman22 View Post
Thanks yes, they said lines were blown with compressed air and ran dry before using rv antifreeze and poured down each drain in the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and washer/dryer hookup...unit has no washer in dryer in it. So it sounds like i just run water through the system and flush all the pink stuff out and then do a pressure test all while leaving it bypassed. and will 30psi be enough pressure.
Where is Grants? Perhaps when you put your city info in you might have added the state. This would be a hint as to what was done to winterize. I have an air fitting for the city water inlet and blow out the lines with the missus opening water taps one at a time starting with the nearest and in our case ending up with the bath/show water tap. I shut the bypass on the water heater and drain it. I pour antifreeze into the kitchen and bathroom sink so the p traps don't freeze. To reverse the process involves almost nothing except to return the bypass to allow water into the water heater and replace my anode. I like to remove it. I don't use my fresh water tank often but I do drain it if I had used it which is typically in sub freezing temps to have some water in the camper in the morning when the city water hose would freeze. I live at the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country and we do get some cold weather now and again.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:08 AM   #10
Tazman22

Thanks for all the responses and comments. Hopefully i can learn how to post a pic of my convenience center so that hopefully someone can assist me when it comes time to winterize which i want to do properly. Wiredgeorge Grants is located between Albuquerque and Gallup off of I-40. Its an old uranium town which closed down years ago but there is still life here...LOL I believe I will be ok as it don't really get below 0 here but single digits in the winter. Anyways happy travel to you all this season and maybe we might run into some of you all along the way.

Tags
alpine