Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2022, 05:32 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxmikew View Post
That’s a five lug. T-44 axle is 6 x 5.5
Then maybe the one directly under it, the next one down on the same page ???

KO8-480-90

It's 6x5.50 with 10x2.25 brakes

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #22
Xxmikew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Then maybe the one directly under it, the next one down on the same page ???

KO8-480-90

It's 6x5.50 with 10x2.25 brakes
Tried that one. Too tall. Outer bearing won’t seat can’t get the castle nut on.
Xxmikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

When Dexter bought out AlKo, they discontinued the 4400 axle production. I think I remember a couple of threads where people were trying to locate hubs in junkyards because Dexter stopped supporting the axle line with any replacement parts. Your axles may be the ones that those threads were discussing.

You might give Dexter Customer Service a call on Monday to see what they have to say... You'll need the information from the axle tag located on the axle beam so the CS rep can identify exactly what axles you have.

Dexter Axle Company Customer Service
Open: Monday - Friday
Hours: 8:00am-5pm EST

574-295-7888

Be sure to ask about your axle warranty. Some were covered by a 6 year warranty, some weren't. You may still have a month or two of remaining warranty, depending on your trailer date of purchase. Worth knowing for sure.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2022, 06:08 AM   #24
Xxmikew

Yea. That’s exactly it. I called the alko plant. They said yea that part is obsolete. Can’t find it anymore. Replace axles.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:05 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Not that it's any comfort to you, but I bought my new axles from Trailer Parts Outlet in Madisonville, TX. They were the cheapest "online custom axle" sales outlet that I could find. There may be places that sell cheaper, but freight was a "killer" with them. TPO pricing is "freight included". They shipped mine FedEx freight and I picked the pallet up at the local FedEx center.

I don't have AlKo axles, mine are Lippert 5200 pound ones that just aren't holding up well, so I'm changing them out for Dexter 6000 pound axles.

I'm not associated with that business and have no relationship with them other than being a customer.

Here's the 5200 pound axle kit similar to the 6000 pound kit that I bought from them: https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/co...10-4k-capacity

You'll need to measure your spring hangers and hub face to order the correct "custom axles" for your trailer. Or, if you don't want to change them out, you could find a trailer repair center or RV dealership in your area. I found that no RV dealership had "time or desire" to do the work. They all found reasons why they couldn't get the parts.... To me, seemed strange that I could order them but they couldn't LOL

Anyway, when I went to a trailer repair center, their quoted price was almost double what I could buy the parts, then they wanted that much again for labor. So the $1500 axles would have cost almost $5000 to install...

Mine are sitting in front of the fifth wheel in the pole barn and when it warms up, I'll drag it over to the house where all my tools are and change them out on a "nice day to be outside"....

ADDED: I forgot to mention that the above kits do not come with bronze bushings (wet bolts), they have plastic shims in the springs, so if you do order a kit from nearly anywhere, you'll also need a wet bolt kit if you're changing the springs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #26
Xxmikew

I hired a guy and he and I swapped them out in the parking lot. I paid him 450. I paid 1700 for the 5200lb axles. That included new hangers and springs that I could not put on due time constraints. So axles were like 700 a piece or so. It’s definitely a two man job. Possible with one of you have enough jack stands and patience.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #27
Jake's Keystone

Just went through this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When Dexter bought out AlKo, they discontinued the 4400 axle production. I think I remember a couple of threads where people were trying to locate hubs in junkyards because Dexter stopped supporting the axle line with any replacement parts. Your axles may be the ones that those threads were discussing.

You might give Dexter Customer Service a call on Monday to see what they have to say... You'll need the information from the axle tag located on the axle beam so the CS rep can identify exactly what axles you have.

Dexter Axle Company Customer Service
Open: Monday - Friday
Hours: 8:00am-5pm EST

574-295-7888

Be sure to ask about your axle warranty. Some were covered by a 6 year warranty, some weren't. You may still have a month or two of remaining warranty, depending on your trailer date of purchase. Worth knowing for sure.....

So I just went through this with my 2011 Outback. Same axles and Brakes. I know there was some machining done on the drums. I'll reach out to the shop and find out where he got the Drums, Hamilton I think and apparently they had about 6 left, and what machining was done. If memory serves me right, inner edge was beveled. But I'll ask them on Monday...
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:16 AM   #28
Xxmikew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake's Keystone View Post
So I just went through this with my 2011 Outback. Same axles and Brakes. I know there was some machining done on the drums. I'll reach out to the shop and find out where he got the Drums, Hamilton I think and apparently they had about 6 left, and what machining was done. If memory serves me right, inner edge was beveled. But I'll ask them on Monday...
Yea that might save the next person. I thought about taking the dexter drum to a machine shop and seeing if the could get it to fit. Also thought about modifying the backplate but I didn’t have the one it was grinding on. Just had to get my family out of the situation and back on track.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #29
Jake's Keystone

AL-KO Drums were purchased from CERKA Milton Ontario (Canada) and they had some left. There are no OE brakes available so the drum was machined about 1/8" to stop the rubbing on the backing plate.
Hope this helps someone...

2022 GMC Sierra HD AT4
2022 Cougar 3169RLS
New and Traded
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #30
SierraBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBob View Post
I too have a problem with finding this drum for my 2014 cougar trailer. I have tried everywhere and everything out there and can't find a solution. Mine had 4400lb axel with 3500lb brake assembly and an AL-KO 4400lb drum. If anyone finds a solution please post.
Thank-you
(Canada)
Update.... I was lucky enough to have the drum resurfaced. Only one deep groove on the drum face.
SierraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:02 AM   #31
Grisi24

Brake pads

So I see that the brake drums are obsolete but can you still find the pads and magnets? Any thoughts?
Grisi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisi24 View Post
So I see that the brake drums are obsolete but can you still find the pads and magnets? Any thoughts?
Using the information in post #29 from April, 2022, there are no brake components (shoes or magnets) available at that time. Unless some "out of the way parts store" has some dusty ones on the shelf, you'll probably not find any brake shoes to fit the obsolete drums. It "used to be" that a "shade tree brake shop" would reline brake shoes to replace the braking surface. But that was back in the days of asbestos containing shoes. I'm not sure if you might be able to find someone to reline your existing brake shoes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
axle