Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #21
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I would like to know how to get a clean seal with tape around a round object?
Quite easily.
Cut off 2 or 4 pieces of tape (depending on whether you want a 2 piece or 4 piece wrap) and sized according to size of object and size of tape being used.
Lay them out in your desired pattern.
Find something of similar circumference (or just use a compass) of whatever is protruding above the roof (NOT the flange that most/all will have), place it centered in your layout and trace around it.
Grab some scissors and cut out what you traced.
Clean the area being taped with a cleaner appropriate for your roof.
Mount the object. In my case it was a plumbing vent. I predrilled holes and filled with Dicor.
Peel the backing off the tape and apply according to instructions. (covering the flange, of course)
Not necessary but I always run a bead of Dicor around the object, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	39072  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpankowski View Post
Thanks for all the input. Interesting debate. I'll get up on there tomorrow and see if can spot the problem, I don't know where else that much water would come from. The one time I didn't inspect the roof before winter and this happens. I've owned different trailers for 20 years and never had a leak before.
Carefully check the front running lights. They are notorious for leaking and even though they're "relatively small," they can leak a tremendous amount of water into the trailer. Once inside, any amount of water can travel horizontally from one side of the trailer to the other before flowing down, making it appear to be on the left (inside) when the leak is on the right (outside)...

Also check the two front corners where the sides meet the top and the front. There are two plastic "gutter extensions" glued to the aluminum side molding. That "3 way union" can also be a source for leaks.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #23
COLUSAR

I just completed the NRVTA tech course and they are recommending Eternabond use.

I used Eternabond on my last RV and had zero leaks after 12 years. I will be using it on my new RV.
COLUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:58 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Where and when do they recommend Eternabond?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #25
COLUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Where and when do they recommend Eternabond?
On your roof. Whenever you can.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #26
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLUSAR View Post
I just completed the NRVTA tech course and they are recommending Eternabond use.

I used Eternabond on my last RV and had zero leaks after 12 years. I will be using it on my new RV.
I sure prefer it over sealer that cracks open every few months.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
On your roof. Whenever you can.
Do you have any documentation on their recommendation? Any "lesson plans" or "published guides" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Do you have any documentation on their recommendation? Any "lesson plans" or "published guides" ???

Here's what I found;

https://nrvta.com/national-rv-traini...-our-programs/

Seems the course is about a week long covering the gamut of RV ownership. If you need answers to questions you call a "student advisor"......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's what I found;

https://nrvta.com/national-rv-traini...-our-programs/

Seems the course is about a week long covering the gamut of RV ownership. If you need answers to questions you call a "student advisor"......
Yes, I looked over their website and programs. I'd like to read what they say about Eternabond and how they recommend using it. That's the documentation and/or lesson plans, guides that I'd like to look over.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #30
COLUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yes, I looked over their website and programs. I'd like to read what they say about Eternabond and how they recommend using it. That's the documentation and/or lesson plans, guides that I'd like to look over.....
It was stated during a lecture. Looks like someone needs some continuing education and a nap. I just stated my training and experience with the material. It was not a personal attack. Get over it. You can use whatever you like on your RV.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It was stated during a lecture. Looks like someone needs some continuing education and a nap. I just stated my training and experience with the material. It was not a personal attack. Get over it. You can use whatever you like on your RV.
No need for a nap, but having attended a fair share of seminars in many professions, I know that many things are said in lectures that are "somewhat true, often taken out of context and occasionally, so far out in left field that following the advice will lead to an immediate malpractice suit...

As an example, without having attended "that lecture", I can see several ways that it could have been presented.

1. Here is a new procedure from Alpha Systems (or DICOR) approving the use of Eternabond on TPO roofing membrane.

2. Here is a new procedure from Eternabond, approving the use of their tape on EPDM rubber roofing, but not on TPO roofing.

3. Here is a shortcut that will save you time and make you money when repairing roof damage. I've (the lecturer speaking) done this for about 10 years and never had a roof repair return or fail. But, it's not found in any literature, so check with your shop foreman and see if he'll approve use in your facility.

As for your comment above, no personal attack, but at the same time, giving advice as "what I learned in school" vs "they told us in a lecture" and having someone damage their RV based on your recommendation (that is NOT approved by Alpha Systems) may not be the best advice for anyone with an RV that has a potential warranty that would be voided by following your advice. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
leak, roof