Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Beartooth

The dreaded purple key

I just bought a Cougar 315 RLS and I tried several searches but no answer. I have a Global Link purple key numbered 368. Does anyone know what it fits.
Thanks
Beartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #2
Neil S

On the 2 campers I’ve had in the last 10 years, the purple keys have been to the entry door. Both campers have had 2 entry doors, and each time, the doors were keyed differently so 2 different purple keys.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Agree with Neil_S. Purple keys are door locks. Each door has a different key. The white one is for outside storage doors.

There are only about 100 of those keys, each with a unique number. If you ever loose that key, all you need to do is contact your RV dealership, give them that number and they'll give you a new key. They don't copy-cut those keys any more, not like in the old days.

They'll have a cabinet with small plastic drawers and each drawer will have a different numbered key. They order from Global Link and keep a constant supply. I've never tried ordering one directly through Global Link, going through the RV dealership parts department was an immediate replacement for the one I lost.

Also, that same number should be found on your door handle, on the inside. So, if you ever loose the key, you still have the number you can reference for a replacement.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
Neil S

Just an additional FYI, you can order keys from the website below. Not sure if they are cheaper or not than the dealership.

ALSO, with my travel trailer having 2 entry doors (keyed differently), 1 slam panel (keyed differently), and 4 other locks that have the dreaded CH751 locks that everyone has, I decided to get all my locks keyed to the same purple key. You can go to the website below and order matching barrels, and cam locks all keyed to the same key. That way you don't have to carry around a whole wad of keys. You do have to "Rent" a yellow key for $50, that will allow the removal of the old barrel and installation of the new barrel. You get $40 of the $50 back when you return the yellow key. During this process I am replacing all of the "Master" barrels, for a little extra security. I ordered my replacements late last week, and they were delivered yesterday. Going to the storage place this weekend to swap out the locks!!!! With shipping and deducting the $40 refund I anticipate, the cost to replace 4 barrels, and 4 cam locks is about $110. I thought that was well worth the price, not having to carry around a whole pocket full of keys.

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
Old 03-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S View Post
Just an additional FYI, you can order keys from the website below. Not sure if they are cheaper or not than the dealership.

ALSO, with my travel trailer having 2 entry doors (keyed differently), 1 slam panel (keyed differently), and 4 other locks that have the dreaded CH751 locks that everyone has, I decided to get all my locks keyed to the same purple key. You can go to the website below and order matching barrels, and cam locks all keyed to the same key. That way you don't have to carry around a whole wad of keys. You do have to "Rent" a yellow key for $50, that will allow the removal of the old barrel and installation of the new barrel. You get $40 of the $50 back when you return the yellow key. During this process I am replacing all of the "Master" barrels, for a little extra security. I ordered my replacements late last week, and they were delivered yesterday. Going to the storage place this weekend to swap out the locks!!!! With shipping and deducting the $40 refund I anticipate, the cost to replace 4 barrels, and 4 cam locks is about $110. I thought that was well worth the price, not having to carry around a whole pocket full of keys.

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
I still have to do attempt #2 to do this...Last year I went and ordered lock replacements with the same key only to find that the back storage door was a different thickness than the pass thru. Bad assumption, so this time I have to go measure the thickness of each compartment I want rekeyed!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #6
Neil S

I had a question about the locks, and called RV Locks and More ans spoke with a gentleman there who was very helpful. Found out 2 of the locks I was ordering, were for different compartments than I thought. So, made a special trip out to the storage and measured all the panel doors to make sure. Hope the extra trip was worth it, when I go to install the locks this weekend.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Beartooth

Thanks guys for the help. I finally figured it out. The purple keys are for the original entry lock. It was replaced with a keyless lock. This site is great.
Beartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:08 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartooth View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I finally figured it out. The purple keys are for the original entry lock. It was replaced with a keyless lock. This site is great.
I posted this before (the highlighted) on our first trailer I replaced the lock with a keyless and we liked it. Our new trailer has 2 doors. So instead of buying a new keyless lock on amazon. I called the company directly and they sent a lock keyed to the same number as our existing keyless lock for the same price.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #9
coop341

Replacement Keys

FYI - I was able to buy replacement keys for all 3 different style locks for my 25RES from Amazon.
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
Leatherman

I installed a keyless entry door lock on my trailer a few years back. One of the best investments. It even fit my new trailer I purchased a year ago and it took 20 minutes to move it to the new 5th wheel.

rvlock.com is where I originally purchased the lock. It included 2 keys and 2 remotes. It was $149 shipped with the keys and remotes (at the time with a coupon).

I see that Walmart now sells the same deal for $110 which includes 2 keys and 1 fob. You can add up to 10 fobs to a single lock. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Keyles...on=SignIn&rm=x
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
BubbaShoots

On my Cougar 25RDS, the purple key fits the deadbolt on the rear door. My black key fits the other 3 locks on the two doors. It doesn’t make sense but that’s the way it is.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #12
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShoots View Post
On my Cougar 25RDS, the purple key fits the deadbolt on the rear door. My black key fits the other 3 locks on the two doors. It doesn’t make sense but that’s the way it is.
Thats good to know!
Old 04-02-2022, 07:18 AM   #13
Stircrazy

wow my purple keys are for the storage slam doors and the outdoor kitchen, my actual door lock is black. the old genaric ch571 only opens my front generator/battery compartment.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote