Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
BubbleHead

Suburban SW6DEL not heating on electric

So, I have read a lot of articles on fixing these hot water heaters over the last few months with no luck. I purchased the unit 7-8 months ago, and have been full time now for 6 months. The water heats fine on gas. The electric side has not worked since I bought it. I have replaced the element, the 120 VAC thermostat, and the exterior power switch. I have verified and re-verified continuity from the switch through the thermostat and the element. I have verified 120 VAC to the element. When the control switch inside is turned on, I can hear the relay energize. There is water in the tank. Everything appears to be working as it should, with one exception. It doesn't heat the water in the electric mode. Any help is greatly appreciated!! (banging my head on the wall emoji goes here)
BubbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If you place a voltmeter across the terminals of the element and you have 120 vac (and the element is good) then it has to heat the water. How long are you waiting for the tank to heat up?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
BubbleHead

Thank you for your response.
It is a new element, resistance reading is 10 ohms. I have not measured voltage across the two element leads. However, I have measured the voltage from both sides of the element to a ground and get 120VAC. I read somewhere that I might have a problem with the neutral wiring past the element. I am not sure how to verify that or where the problem beyond that might lie.

I have waited anywhere from 15-30 minutes for the water to warm. I know it wont heat as fast as gas, but I would think after 30 minutes I should detect some warming.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
ChuckS

To check for 120 volts AC going to thermostat:
.. outside elect switch on Suburban WH OFF
.. remove the white wire from the heating element
.. connect one of the meter leads to the remove white wire
.. connect the other lead to the still attached black wire on thermostat
.. meter set at AC volts scale
.. connect shore power
.. turn the outside switch for Suburban WH to ON
.. should read 120 volts AC

If you also have TWO inside switches for the WH .. one is for gas mode and other controls a 12 volt DC relay that completes the 120 volt AC circuit

If you have the TWO inside switch setup and with the inside switch for electric mode ON AND the OUTSIDE SWITCH ON if you read no AC voltage with meter connected as I stated above then either you have a bad relay on the junction box located on backside of WH or some broken wires at that junction box

You have already replaced the AC side thermostat with a new one so I am assuming the thermostat is good

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHead View Post
Thank you for your response.
It is a new element, resistance reading is 10 ohms. I have not measured voltage across the two element leads. However, I have measured the voltage from both sides of the element to a ground and get 120VAC. I read somewhere that I might have a problem with the neutral wiring past the element. I am not sure how to verify that or where the problem beyond that might lie.

I have waited anywhere from 15-30 minutes for the water to warm. I know it wont heat as fast as gas, but I would think after 30 minutes I should detect some warming.
With the voltage applied to the element ...If you do not read voltage between the element connections but do read voltage between the element connections and ground then the neutral is missing. Go to the distribution panel and trace the black wire from the water heater breaker back to the romex. Then trace the white wire in that romes to the panel neutral buss. Either the wire has come loose, or the screw is not tight. This of course is assuming the neutral is connected to the source (the pedestal).
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:47 AM   #6
BubbleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
With the voltage applied to the element ...If you do not read voltage between the element connections but do read voltage between the element connections and ground then the neutral is missing. Go to the distribution panel and trace the black wire from the water heater breaker back to the romex. Then trace the white wire in that romes to the panel neutral buss. Either the wire has come loose, or the screw is not tight. This of course is assuming the neutral is connected to the source (the pedestal).
Thanks, Marshall. I think this may be where I am headed. I checked my readings again yesterday at the element with the white (neutral) wire lifted. The black wire to ground reads 120. Through the element to ground reads 120. White wire to ground reads 120. Black to white reads 0. I will check out the neutral path after work today.

Tags
heat, hot water heater, suburban