Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Pete::51

Greystone Fireplace heater not working

I have a problem with my fireplace heater cutting out when I run it on the high setting. Everything else on the unit works as normal. It seems to work okay on the low heat setting. I'm guessing it is the thermal safety switch on the top of the heater. The contacts on that switch are exposed and appear to be burnt. I have been looking for a replacement for that switch and haven't been able to find one. The next option would be to replace the blower/heater but even that search has come up empty. The fireplace model W36SSCW-1 appears to be discontinued from the sources I have checked. e-Trailer, Trekwood and Way International all show it as not available and I haven't been able to find parts for it.

It would to be a shame to replace the entire fireplace over a $5.00 part. Does anyone out there have a suggestion of where I could look to get either the switch or the blower assembly? Would cleaning the contacts with emery cloth work?
Pete::51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
ChuckS

IMO you be would be money ahead to bite the bullet and replace the entire FP.. but you could try and burnish the points on that overtemp switch and see what occurs..

I would not reinstall the fireplace after you make this repair. Instead leave it out and plug it in so that yo7 can see everything and evaluate it

Image.. I think.. of the contact points you are talking about.. if there is a build up one these it will cause that issue as well as shutdown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2383EC3-7258-4A40-99ED-07F08F6A7CAB.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	37404  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. If I can’t find the correct replacement parts, I will replace the entire FP. We are in the RV full time during the winter months and the FP is our main source of heat. It needs to be reliable. I was hoping to find a source for Greystone parts. Apparently they just sell complete units
Old 12-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete::51 View Post
Thanks for the reply. If I can’t find the correct replacement parts, I will replace the entire FP. We are in the RV full time during the winter months and the FP is our main source of heat. It needs to be reliable. I was hoping to find a source for Greystone parts. Apparently they just sell complete units
Where are you spending the winter? The FP will not keep the water lines from freezing but will work great for "taking the chill off" the interior.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
boxcar

I had a problem with my Greystone while it was still under warranty - I believe it has a two year warranty. I was able to get a new control board from the support company at https://www.wayinterglobal.com/pages/contact-us. The support phone number is (574) 970-7108.

The control board didn't fix the issue so they sent me another control board and the switch board. That fixed it. Until I went to use it the following spring. I'd spent quite a bit of time on it and gave up. As you've noticed the Greystone is built quite cheaply.

However, I went to get my 12V converter replaced under my extended warranty the following year and discovered that the fireplace was covered, too. The shop replaced it with an equivalent Furion model and we've used it extensively while wintering here in Colorado this year.
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Where are you spending the winter? The FP will not keep the water lines from freezing but will work great for "taking the chill off" the interior.
We are in the Phoenix area for the winter. We haven’t seen freezing temps in the past 4 years. When it gets close, we turn on the furnace and tank heaters so nothing in the RV freezes. The FP and a small ceramic heater keep things comfortable most nights

Tags
heat, heater