Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Booklady

Towing hornet lite 24ft with 2008 f150 xxl

Looking to buy a 2008 f150 xxl with 5.4 v8 engine to tow our 2001 hornet lite q24 we just purchased. Is this a good idea? We are newbies as this is our first trailer. Any help is appreciated.
Booklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booklady View Post
Looking to buy a 2008 f150 xxl with 5.4 v8 engine to tow our 2001 hornet lite q24 we just purchased. Is this a good idea? We are newbies as this is our first trailer. Any help is appreciated.
Check the yellow/white payload sticker on the trucks drivers door jamb then using the GVWR of the rv posted on the manufacturers tag on the drivers side front corner times .13 (average 13% TT tongue weight) subtracted from the payload will be a good starting point for you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
markcee

To build on what Danny said, the Hornet has a GVWR of 8,050 lbs. Figuring 13% of that for trailer tongue weight is 1,046 lbs.

To the 1,046 add the weight of all the persons that will be in the truck when camping, the weight of all the gear you will put in the truck when camping (tools, coolers, luggage, firewood etc.) and 100 lbs for a good weight distribution hitch.

If all that weight added together is UNDER the Cargo Carrying Capacity (payload) listed on the yellow/white Tire and Loading Information sticker on the truck's driver's side door jamb, you will be off to a good start. With a 1/2 ton truck, payload is generally what you will run out of first.

Below is a pic of the sticker you are looking for:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 Payload Sticker.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	34388  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

One thing to remember when you are looking at that truck, the carrying capacity was a factory rating back when the truck was new 13 or 14 years ago. Therefore, you must consider what that many years of wear and tear, rust, and fatigue, etc might have on that number. Suspension components, drivetrain wear, bushings, even the body mounts will all have an effect.

That rating, from that time, was a truck that rolled off the factory floor, so that's before anyone added a bed liner, running boards, a tonneau cover, tool box, mud flaps, floor mats, etc. It also does NOT include any weight you put in the truck including a good weight distributing hitch (100-120 lbs.), people, pets, ice chest, firewood, etc.

So the bottom line is this, if you go only by the payload sticker anmd "think you're fine" because the trailer will "squeak just under" the numbers then you will just be fooling yourself.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
To build on what Danny said, the Hornet has a GVWR of 8,050 lbs. Figuring 13% of that for trailer tongue weight is 1,046 lbs.

To the 1,046 add the weight of all the persons that will be in the truck when camping, the weight of all the gear you will put in the truck when camping (tools, coolers, luggage, firewood etc.) and 100 lbs for a good weight distribution hitch.

If all that weight added together is UNDER the Cargo Carrying Capacity (payload) listed on the yellow/white Tire and Loading Information sticker on the truck's driver's side door jamb, you will be off to a good start. With a 1/2 ton truck, payload is generally what you will run out of first.

Below is a pic of the sticker you are looking for:
Didn't see the specs anywhere for that camper but NADA listed the weight at 4450 lbs @ 25' long. I believe that would be the "as shipped" weight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The trailer at 8050lbs. is about all any new 1/2 ton should ever try to strap on. That said, as Marshall said, the truck will be THE determining factor. First; what does the payload sticker say vs the numbers that have been given? That may rule it out immediately. Then....the truck - how many miles on it?

At 13 years old there could be a myriad...many, lots of things wrong/worn out and in terrible shape or maybe not. IF the payload sticker is within parameters the entire suspension, bushings etc. have to be gone through thoroughly. IF all of those items are in excellent shape you need to put new LT tires on the truck, new ST tires of the proper range on the RV, new shocks on the truck. Springs and shackles on both the trailer and truck need to be inspected. May even need an anti-sway bar. If the truck has been used in harsh climes there may be so much wrong it is not feasible to do it all.

All the info you can provide about both the trailer and truck would be greatly beneficial. Those are essential for you to have any idea of what you are getting into if you don't know anything about trucks or trailers. I once bought a 14 year old Ramcharger. Looked pretty good but it needed a LOT of TLC and I knew it but liked the bodystyle (a good friend pulled me out of a snowbank decades ago with a Plymouth Trailduster and liked them since then). Anyway, after $36k and basically rebuilding it other than the frame myself (mostly) I STILL would not have tried to pull a trailer (it did have a lift on it ).

OP just realistically look at what you have, what shape they are in and your commitment to making them both roadworthy. Let us know where you are and we are more than willing to jump in and help. If you've never RVd before you will love it.....just get off on the right foot.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Didn't see the specs anywhere for that camper but NADA listed the weight at 4450 lbs @ 25' long. I believe that would be the "as shipped" weight.
Yeah, disregard that. I did not examine my Google results good enough and it was supplying stats for a different Hornet.

Check the sticker on the 'driver's side' of the trailer for actual ratings.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah I think with the advertised weight of 44xx the gvw "might" be 6k lbs. At that the TV gets a lot more breathing room. Hopefully the OP can chime in with truck and trailer (from trailer sticker) specs.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Yeah, disregard that. I did not examine my Google results good enough and it was supplying stats for a different Hornet.

Check the sticker on the 'driver's side' of the trailer for actual ratings.

I have a 2002 and the weight sticker on the trailer is totally illegible. Best thing is just trust 6000-6500 lbs or so loaded and get an idea from the OP's payload placard in the driver's door frame. As a 2008 there should be one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
NMRandy

8k and 24' is a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton. I would recommend a 3/4 ton just for the upgrade in brakes.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, tow, towing