Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Isn't crusing speed WOT on a boat? It was on my jet boat with an Olds 455 cid big block with a Jacuzzi pump on the transom. 14 gal/hr.? Maybe at idle. The twin 27 gallon saddle tanks full of Sunoco 260 would last about 35 to 40 min running 70+ mph.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #22
notanlines

Those were the days. Twin 500 HP’s, 83mph and .9 mpg. An 85 mile run WOT from Pickwick Landing to Bay Springs on the TennTom and it took 90 gallons. We didn’t do those runs often, believe me! Mileage was even worse off-shore.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, the "bigger boats" (akin to small ships) on the Great Lakes have three speeds. Docked, restricted and open water speeds, but there is a "reduced throttle cruising speed" in the specifications...

All the information I can find in advertising brochures lists a WOT speed and a cruising speed, but like you, "boat engines have 2 speeds: idling around skiers and WOT....

The point I was making was that marine engines, like motorhome engines are "worked differently in normal operation" than the "family sedan with the same engine in it.... Car engines last significantly longer in "normal operation" than marine or motorhome engines because of the "two speed concept" most people use with boats and the "always at heavy load" used with motorhomes. Then add that dingy being towed behind a motorhome and you make matters even worse for engine loading....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote