Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #21
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Here you go. Pic of the new adapter with the buttress with a hole in it....
Gearhead thanks for the pic. What's the phrase? "one picture worth a thousand words"? Stupid me, I didn't realize the holes in the gusset were where you attach the chains. Mine does have these holes. Of course I see your post after having emailed PullRite about an exchange...now I feel like a real idiot!! Thank you very much for your help.
Alan

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
John...I hold the family record for transporting grandparents from Houston to Alexandria. 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner.
I sorta reconsidered my actions after the cousins were standing on the side of the road, or maybe in the JP office, digging for pocket change to pay their fine.
Texas plates attract the police in Louisiana. I go back frequently and running down Hwy 190 at 55mph I always think...in Texas this would be at least 65, probably 70, maybe 75.
But it is what it is and Louisiana isn't alone.
Woodworth, about 8 miles south of Alexandria, is well known by everyone in the area as having NO TOLERANCE for speeders. Approaching town from the north, there is a sign "Speed limit 45 ahead". Then, about 15' further is a sign that says, "Speed Limit 45". About 50' past that sign is the "Welcome to Woodworth" sign (right next to the cemetery). The local radar enforcement unit sits behind the welcome sign and radios ahead to two unmarked patrol cars that stop EVERYONE (regardless of license plates) that are going faster than 45. Yes, 46 will get you a ticket. I've seen the two cars "over the hill" have 10-15 cars lined up as they write tickets. People from the area always travel through Woodworth at 40 MPH or slower, depending on how fat their wallet is.....

I've heard that Glenmora is now doing the same thing, but I haven't driven south on US165 in at least 5 years, so I don't know how accurate those reports are.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #23
gearhead

Don't beat yourself up over it.
I feel like an idiot hourly.
I don't remember if I put shackles in those holes, then hooked "S" hooks on the shackles or just used "S" hooks alone.
I do recall that I moved the safety chain location and soon after was when the chains got tangled in the spring loaded lock mechanism. So think through where you hook the chains. I wish I could help more on that issue but it's been awhile since I towed with the PullRite and chains. I would advise to use the plastic coated coiled cables.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #24
jasin1

[QUOTE=JRTJH;438556]Woodworth, about 8 miles south of Alexandria, is well known by everyone in the area as having NO TOLERANCE for speeders. Approaching town from the north, there is a sign "Speed limit 45 ahead". Then, about 15' further is a sign that says, "Speed Limit 45". About 50' past that sign is the "Welcome to Woodworth" sign (right next to the cemetery). The local radar enforcement unit sits behind the welcome sign and radios ahead to two unmarked patrol cars that stop EVERYONE (regardless of license plates) that are going faster than 45. Yes, 46 will get you a ticket. I've seen the two cars "over the hill" have 10-15 cars lined up as they write tickets. People from the area always travel through Woodworth at 40 MPH or slower, depending on how fat their wallet is.....

I've heard that Glenmora is now doing the same thing, but I haven't driven south on US165 in at least 5 years, so I don't know how accurate those reports are.[/QUOTE
Old 03-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #25
akmk81

Quote:
Don't beat yourself up over it.
I feel like an idiot hourly.
I don't remember if I put shackles in those holes, then hooked "S" hooks on the shackles or just used "S" hooks alone.
I do recall that I moved the safety chain location and soon after was when the chains got tangled in the spring loaded lock mechanism. So think through where you hook the chains. I wish I could help more on that issue but it's been awhile since I towed with the PullRite and chains. I would advise to use the plastic coated coiled cables.
Gearhead, so here is what I came up with. Went to Lowes and got 2- 26" links of 3/8" chain along with 2- 3/8" quick links. I fastened the quick links to the pin adapter and used 2 of the mounting pins from the old hitch to go through the open end of the chain and the forward hitch mounting plate. Plenty of length of chain to turn the pin adapter 90 degrees. I'm going to wrap the chain in electrical tape to keep it from scratching the hitch. Total cost $29.40.
Thanks again for you input!
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_152853.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	32421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_152907.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	32422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210312_152846.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	32423  

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #26
amsoiltek

So can anybody tell me why all are so hell-bent on the Anderson hitch? Clearly, the Pull-Rite is a stronger design, may not be the lightest but I think steel is way stronger than beer cans! Right now I have a SuperGlide, but my next will be the SuperLite.
2019 Cougar 362RKS
amsoiltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #27
E Rod

Quote:
When I was first shopping the PullRite I called them about the safety chain issue. They told me the same thing...no chains needed.
After reading somewhere that yes chains are needed and that PullRite had redesigned the hitch for chains. I called them and they sent me a new ball assembly for the pinbox.
When I mangled the lock/unlock mechanism. I called PullRite about buying a new funnel & lock assembly. They quoted me $150+ but said they would send me one free if I paid for shipping.
So they treated me pretty well.
But yes, as I understand it, you need chains.

You were extremely lucky. I just called and spoke with Alex , he quoted me $197 plus shipping for the ball mount and $25 for the chain loops plus $27 for shipping. I'll pass . He said i could just drill a 5/8 hole in the gussets. I think I'll save the $200 and drill the holes instead.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #28
WA_Marv

Safety Chain video

You should probably do a search on the web for an RVer in CA whose tow vehicle is hanging off a bridge over a gorge and the only thing that saved him was the safety chains. They were the only thing that kept the truck from falling to the bottom of the gorge and killing the occupants.
When it comes to safety I don’t go cheap. I always obey any and all local speed limits when Rving, and my tow vehicle is way overrated (F350 1 ton) for my RV.
I also carry emergency roadside gear for both the camper and the truck. I urge people not to count on AAA or whatever auto club they belong to when they are out in remote areas camping. If you get into trouble and are lucky enough to have a cell signal, you’re going to at least have a long wait.
WA_Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #29
gearhead

Yeah that truck TT wreck has been all over the media.
I didn't know that all they did was drill holes in the gusset until I got the new one.
I should have posted that.
I almost bought shouldered machine eye bolts to rig the chains like Andersen on the ball mount. I just didn't trust the metallurgy of a bolt from Amazon.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Yeah that truck TT wreck has been all over the media.
I didn't know that all they did was drill holes in the gusset until I got the new one.
I should have posted that.
I almost bought shouldered machine eye bolts to rig the chains like Andersen on the ball mount. I just didn't trust the metallurgy of a bolt from Amazon.
Whoever manufactures the chain or the hitch used in the picture hanging off the bridge has a great marketing advertisement
Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoiltek View Post
So can anybody tell me why all are so hell-bent on the Anderson hitch? Clearly, the Pull-Rite is a stronger design, may not be the lightest but I think steel is way stronger than beer cans! Right now I have a SuperGlide, but my next will be the SuperLite.
Andersen makes a steel hitch that goes in the standard rails like I have. It looks to be of the same design as the aluminum hitch. For me the PullRite just looks like a better design (I'm no engineer) and it's still light enough that this old man can still take it out by himself.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #32
E Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmk81 View Post
Andersen makes a steel hitch that goes in the standard rails like I have. It looks to be of the same design as the aluminum hitch. For me the PullRite just looks like a better design (I'm no engineer) and it's still light enough that this old man can still take it out by himself.
I have the PullRite Super lite #2400 series with the rail system on my 2021 F350 Dually. Works good so far. have used it on 3 trucks.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote