Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
glendar10

Cougar

Question ; we bought a new 2021 cougar half ton 30rls, and well after looking in the storage section I find that the floor is not the water board they say is on the new units. It is OSB plywood. Anyone know if this is righ or is keystone pulling a fast ad and not giving the better floor the say in there ad.
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone started building 2021 models in (or around) February 2020. I'm not sure when yours was built, you can check the date on the VIN sticker located on the front roadside corner of the trailer. It will state something like: This vehicle complies with all safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown above. There will be a "month/year" date on that sticker. That will tell you "when your trailer was built". Then you'll need to do some research to learn "when Keystone changed the flooring used in the Cougar line"....

I don't know when they changed to the "new Hyperdeck" flooring. And, as a comment (I can't confirm this) the new stuff may not stand up well to heavy bouncing loads, so Keystone may have put a layer of OSB over the Hyperdeck in the garage area to strengthen or to protect the Hyperdeck ??? As I said, that's just a guess and I can't confirm that's the case.

Anyway, there's a statement on every trailer manufacturer's website and in every RV brochure that I've seen that says something like: "Manufacturer reserves the right to make production changes at any time without notice"...

So, you'll need to determine when your trailer was manufactured and when Keystone changed from OSB/luan to Hyperdeck. Then, realize that any manufacturer will probably use up all the old materials before changing over to exclusive use of the new stuff. When it gets "right down to having 8 sheets left, there's a good chance they'll skip using the old on a trailer that needs 5 sheets (that would leave 3 unused) and hold the 8 sheets so they can be used on two trailers that need 4 sheets each.... Yes, Keystone is very, VERY cheap when it comes making sure they use everything with as little waste left on the floor as possible... Which is probably whey the workers put a 10' flex heat duct in a spot where they need a 3' section... That leaves "no waste for the supervisor to find".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Brantel

On my unit, the Hyperdeck is only on the main floor. The slide bottoms, dropped part of the storage area and the floor of the bedroom/half bath are plywood.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
glendar10

What a bunch of

It I have heara a bunch of well let be, but this must be a lawyer talking becouse the bull is deep. And now I know that trailer makers are full of it
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
It I have heara a bunch of well let be, but this must be a lawyer talking becouse the bull is deep. And now I know that trailer makers are full of it
glendar10! Hope you feel better. We seldom get such insightful analysis of the RV industry as you have provided!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Go for it, hire the best lawyer you can afford !!!!! Let us know how it turns out for ya !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
notanlines

Glen, you've been an RV owner and a member for a number of years, so by now you know that you are generally 'up against it' when to comes to salespeople. I'm not trying to disparage all sales people. Some are knowledgeable, some are honest/truthful, but the odds of finding a combination of the two are slim. I sincerely hope this is the greatest problem you encounter with your new RV. You've got a nice unit, try your best to enjoy it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar