Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #61
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhkev View Post
Good ?. And why are the vents with such a low grade material. They sent when walk on!
These are the standard vents used across the entire trailer and mobile home industry. You can buy identical replacements for them in your local hardware store. They are low weight, low-cost, and don't hold heat to burn your feet. People who care about such things routinely replace them with better models customized to their liking. In mobile homes they are usually placed in locations that nobody will walk on anyway. In trailers, there aren't so many such places.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #62
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What RV manufacturer installs wall registers? Every camping trailer that I'm aware of runs the heat ducting under the floor with floor registers. The vast number of stick and brick houses built in the last 50 years are built this way.

The walls of an RV are too thin to run air ducts in and it would be cost prohibitive. Besides that, there typically isn't enough wall space that isn't covered with a cabinet or piece of furniture.

As for dust and water well no more than in a house. Just how much water do you anticipate getting into the floor register?
My Solitude by Grand Design heat resisters are in the walls or cabinet kick space.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #63
pdaniel

I chatted with a sales rep for a non-Thor/Keystone product line about the running of heat ducts in the floor, particularly the centerline. Simple answer he told me. The reason is the installation is fast by using a plenum then simply attaching the branch to the plenum. And he stated it is inefficient as the end of the runs has little heat to offer. So, I thought. That makes sense as the Cougar I no longer own was cold at the extreme ends of the run. Very cold. My Solitude has equally distributed heat due to dedicated ducting to each wall or cabinet mounted register.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #64
pdaniel

My Solitude does not have any “slinky” ducting running in cabinets. None. All are under the floor. Perhaps other brands do run the ducts in cabinets.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #65
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
I chatted with a sales rep for a non-Thor/Keystone product line about the running of heat ducts in the floor, particularly the centerline. Simple answer he told me. The reason is the installation is fast by using a plenum then simply attaching the branch to the plenum. And he stated it is inefficient as the end of the runs has little heat to offer. So, I thought. That makes sense as the Cougar I no longer own was cold at the extreme ends of the run. Very cold. My Solitude has equally distributed heat due to dedicated ducting to each wall or cabinet mounted register.
Our unit has the centerline plenum with the furnace located just about in the middle. The two diffusers at the ends of the trailer blow warm air at nearly the same velocity and temps as the one closer to center. The trailer does have the "polar Pkg." I guess some have issues some don't but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what a salesman of a competitor opines about the competition.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #66
J&JRock

They do have wall registers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What RV manufacturer installs wall registers? Every camping trailer that I'm aware of runs the heat ducting under the floor with floor registers. The vast number of stick and brick houses built in the last 50 years are built this way.

The walls of an RV are too thin to run air ducts in and it would be cost prohibitive. Besides that, there typically isn't enough wall space that isn't covered with a cabinet or piece of furniture.

As for dust and water well no more than in a house. Just how much water do you anticipate getting into the floor register?
Grand Design has them and I am sure others do to. They are actually not in the outside walls but islands and interior walls. I am sure you did not want to sound condescending in your reply. This is a legitimate question. By putting them in the floor you can add more and better placement. As for putting water in the registers, accidents happen. I knocked my French Press off the counter and the contents went in the register. Took off the register and cleaned as best as possible. Smells like coffee when furnace kicks on.
J&JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #67
Dennis Booker

Floor Vents

Hi: I vacuumed the registers out then purchased Register Filters at Walmart to fit inside the register to keep out most of the dirt also put magnetic covers on top for when their not used these were also available at Walmart in Furnace area not RV area.
Dennis Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #68
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JRock View Post
Grand Design has them and I am sure others do to. They are actually not in the outside walls but islands and interior walls. I am sure you did not want to sound condescending in your reply. This is a legitimate question. By putting them in the floor you can add more and better placement. As for putting water in the registers, accidents happen. I knocked my French Press off the counter and the contents went in the register. Took off the register and cleaned as best as possible. Smells like coffee when furnace kicks on.

Hmmm... you ain't seen Marshall at his best yet. By the way, what is a "French Press"? I know what a coffee pot is, what a grinder is and such but never heard that term.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Hmmm... you ain't seen Marshall at his best yet. By the way, what is a "French Press"? I know what a coffee pot is, what a grinder is and such but never heard that term.

Here ya go;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press

My daughter loves them.....I don't get it. My son loves to get Black Rifle coffee beans and grind them....too much trouble. I on the other hand, am a coffee "elitist" - as long as it's Folgers I'm good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #70
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
A french Press is sort of like a manual espresso maker for people to cheap to buy an espresso maker. Should be right up your alley. See what I did there? Proved your point at me being "at my best" AND explained what a French Press is. LOL! I love to multi task.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhkev View Post
Good ?. And why are the vents with such a low grade material. They sent when walk on!
Lowest bidder is who they buy them from. If there were "cheaper ones" (whether thinner metal or less quality in construction) the entire RV industry would be buying even less durable floor vents... Look at the TV's, the stereo, the stove, the faucets, the tires.... Why should/would floor vents be the only "built to the best quality" item in a trailer ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #72
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JRock View Post
Smells like coffee when furnace kicks on.
I can think of worse smells to have stuck in my furnace (meow).
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #73
J&JRock

It’s one of those devices for us fancy folks. Some call it plunger coffee. Just a different way to make coffee a bit better.
J&JRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, vent, water