Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
BamaRam

Got a Tailgater and 2 Wallys. Need advise.

I have the standard OEM setup with one cable inlet receptacle on the outside above the left tail light. Cable outlets are at entertainment center, under the awning, and in the bunkhouse. Standard cable/antenna/booster setup.

We want to be able to watch different channels in bunkhouse and entertainment center, hence the reason for ordering an extra Wally.

I just discovered that both Wallys need to be connected directly to the Tailgater. I was under the impression that I could slave one Wally off the other, kinda like the Hopper/Joey. But NOOOOO!

With only one inlet, my plan is to mount another inlet above the right tail light and go through the outdoor kitchen to the bunkhouse. Then use an A/B switch to swap between the satellite and the OEM cable.

Can anyone see a reason why this won't work?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
bobbecky

Still won't be able to watch two different channels with that setup. We have two Wallys, but with our Travler, can watch different things, actually up to three different satellite boxes can be fed from the Travler. Not sure if there are any portable dishes that can feed more than one box. One output connection on the dish is one channel at a time.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Still won't be able to watch two different channels with that setup. We have two Wallys, but with our Travler, can watch different things, actually up to three different satellite boxes can be fed from the Travler. Not sure if there are any portable dishes that can feed more than one box. One output connection on the dish is one channel at a time.
My King Tailgater has two output ports. The manual says it can be done. Maybe I’m missing something.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
BamaRam

It does say programming has to be on the same satellite.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:20 AM   #5
Wyldfire

Don't know why you need an a/b switch. We added an input next to the bedroom TV. Run coax from input to Wally and HDMI from Wally to TV. Run coax from cable/antenna to coax input 1. Switch inputs on TV as needed. Important to follow setup of Wally's carefully when using two. One is designated primary and has to be hooked up to primary on Sat dish. Also remember every time primary Wally changes Sat secondary Wally has to be res canned for Channels.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:33 AM   #6
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Don't know why you need an a/b switch. We added an input next to the bedroom TV. Run coax from input to Wally and HDMI from Wally to TV. Run coax from cable/antenna to coax input 1. Switch inputs on TV as needed. Important to follow setup of Wally's carefully when using two. One is designated primary and has to be hooked up to primary on Sat dish. Also remember every time primary Wally changes Sat secondary Wally has to be res canned for Channels.
You’re right. I don’t need the a/b. I had forgotten about the HDMI cable. That’s news to me about the rescanning. Sounds aggravating. Thanks!
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little confused. If the primary TV is programmed to and receiving a particular satellite, does the guide still show programs for other satellites? I guess I'm not clear on how the primary receiver gets from one satellite to the other.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
RoscoeV

Both Wallys will show all the programming you subscribe to on the guides. The Tailgater can only see one satellite at a time, therefore if you are watching Showtime on satellite 110 on one Wally and want to watch say TBS on the other and TBS is on satellite 119 you wont be able to do it.

Your other option would be to buy another Tailgater or limit yourself to watching content from the same satellite.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
Both Wallys will show all the programming you subscribe to on the guides. The Tailgater can only see one satellite at a time, therefore if you are watching Showtime on satellite 110 on one Wally and want to watch say TBS on the other and TBS is on satellite 119 you wont be able to do it.

Your other option would be to buy another Tailgater or limit yourself to watching content from the same satellite.
Sounds like I will need to make custom guides based on the satellites. Otherwise the DW will zap me off my channel.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
Rber1234

I have 2 TVs connected to one Dish 211 receiver inside the TT using a HDMI splitter to both TVs. I connected one output of Tailgater directly to cable input on TT. On outside Tv I directly connect to other 211 receiver from second output on Tailgater. I can watch different channels on each Tv (inside-outside)as long as they are all on the same satellite. Also have all TVs connected to TT antenna for over air reception.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:16 AM   #11
Nivluv

Running Two Wallys on Splitter

What if you ran two Wally receivers to a splitter that went to one dish.
You should be able to move the dish on each Wally and watch all the programming. The only thing is someone in one room would have to be on the same satellite as the person in another room. The splitter is only good if you want to move the dish from each Wally and watch tv in each room at a time, but will be a problem if you have two people watching in two different rooms. which for me is not the case. I want to be able to go to the living room and move the dish then go to the bedroom and move the dish and I think a splitter would work. You can also use one wally and a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver but they are $150. if running a HDMI cable you will have to drill.
Nivluv is offline   Reply With Quote