Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
Granpa49

Light switches

There is a switch plate with three switches mounted just inside the door in my Laredo 29RL fifth wheel camper. The leftmost switch operates the interior ceiling lights. Can someone tell me what those first two switches are supposed to operate? All of the fuses are good and the breakers are not tripped. It is plugged into a 30 amp 110 volt service.
Granpa49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
notanlines

Granpa, welcome to the forum. First, keep in mind that these are all 12 volt switches so only those items running on low voltage come into play. I'd have #1 grandson/daughter stand outside while you flip switches. Look under the RV, the awning lights, the front and side of the RV, around the steps, etc.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Javi

Best way to find out what the switch will do is to wait until dark then with one of you outside turn off all lights both in and outside of the trailer.. then have someone flip one of the switches in question and if it immediately obvious, walk around the trailer.

I found two lights on my old Passport that way.. one was over the dump pipe.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Granpa49

No solution as of yet

Waited until dark and tried switches. Nada. Tomorrow, when it is light, I'll get out the Multi-Meter and check to see if any of the light fixtures have power. The yellow-lensed light over the door and the large round light fixture don't have external switches so I suspect they are the fixtures that would be controlled by these wall mounted switches. If they don't have any power my guess would be that the switches are bad. That doesn't seem likely, but I had to replace two of the interior light fixture switches. May be a moisture/corrosion issue as the camper had set up for a couple of years without being used.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
LHaven

Any reason you don't suspect that those bulbs are just shot?
If there's no other way to turn those fixtures on, I say you have identified the switches through process of elimination.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Granpa49

solved it

Took my volt meter and checked voltage at the bulb sockets. 12 V with switch on. That told me that the switches were good. I knew that the bulbs were good because they were new (all new bulbs are good, right?) so I checked the inside of the sockets and found the problem. The zinc plated portions of the sockets had corrosion buildup which was preventing the bulbs from grounding. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the sockets (turned the switches off first) and coated the brass portion of the bulb bases with a light film of dielectric grease. Problem solved. Middle switch controls the yellow entry light over the door and the first switch controls the large area light.

Thanks for the replies. Hope maybe this will help someone else with this problem.

Tags
light