Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #21
Texas Steve

Am I the only one still using charcoal? I have a Weber Little Smokie that works great for us.
Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Am I the only one still using charcoal? I have a Weber Little Smokie that works great for us.
I only use charcoal for my dutch oven. For grilling when camping it's the aussie grill on the camper or the fire. Chicken or chops over the hardwood fire is delicious! Charcoal is too much time for Imo not a whole lot more flavor.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #23
German Shepherd Guy

Hello Oshkosh99.
My 2019 26RBPR came with the Aussie grill. I have to say I have been very underwhelmed with its performance. The bumper mount is nice, as is just hooking up to the TTs gas line, but the heat on the Aussie is really, I mean really, inconsistent. As I am not a huge master griller I have put up with it, but if you are truly into grilling I think it would drive you nuts. Sometimes it heats up great, then next day it will not get hot at all (as in would not sear my steaks). Personally I would look at something else than the Aussie. We seem to have so many droughts out here now that a charcoal grill is out. Need to be able to turn the fire out immediately in order to work in fire restricted areas. Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
shermris

You can leave the Ausie grill on the bumper mount but you can't travel with it mounted. The grill removes fairly quickly from it bracket so there's no security if your concerned about theft. unless your willing to let it hang off the back while your gone you still have a storage issue. When I use mine I leave it on the bumper until I move, it's convenient but not a great grill. My unit came with the grill; I'd never pay $300 for this grill. We cook outside much of the time while camping but often use a propane George Forman grill and keep it in the front storage compartment.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #25
Northofu1

I would leave it on the mount while travelling, when you get to your destination and it's not there anymore, then you can buy a real one. Better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #26
Campermike

I guess we got a good one in our 2013 or maybe they used to make them better... It is not terribly even in heating but I have figured out the hot and cooler spots and can cook on it fine. It gets plenty hot on high and even does low temps reasonably well. I didn't pay $300 for it though so my expectations were not that high. It does the job and has held up well but it's still just a basic portable grill.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #27
First sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkosh99 View Post
Hi, new here. And sorry but I have a long question to the BBQ lovers:

I am soon getting my 2021 Keystone bullet 243BHS delivered from a distant dealer. All excited about it!

I will primarily use it the first 2-3 years stationary on the site where my retirement home is being build to check on progress for weeks at a time. It is in the south so I have to fly in with the airlines.

I would like a gas grill for the occasional steak and burger when down there.

At home I used to have a Charbroil with stainless grates and since 10 years a much better Weber Genesis with cast iron grates. We only do burgers and steaks and the occasional trout or other fish: we get the steaks thick and sear them to medium rare (4 times 45-60sec each side at around 500F) after having preheated the Weber for 10min. Hamburgers and trout on around 300-400F for 5-10min, fish a bit longer. No birds, chicken or turkeys. No veggies (those my wife does separately).

So here the question: I see 3 options:

1)I could get the Aussie grill option with the bumper mount for $300,- extra from the dealer. What I like about this option is the grill will be nicely mounted on the back bumper near the outside kitchen, its small enough to store in the front compartment when away for weeks at a time and its the easiest now, no hassle.
But I've read lots of not so good comments, but those might be from people trying to do different things?
Downloaded an Aussie manual which user "Wxman" posted a while ago, seems there are two versions: 6TV1S with a single straight burner and a 6TV1U with a U-shaped burner which probably has better heat distribution? I have to ask the dealer which version he would install.

2) I could try to convince the dealer to just sell me the bumper mount bracket and then get an Olympian 5500 grill which seems to have better reviews but also some "cold spots", uneven heat or broken cast iron plates? Same advantage of nice setup and easy storage. Would this be a better option for me?

3) Get a Weber Q1200, take the regulator off and hook it up to the trailer LP system (which would be easy to do for me). Probably the best grill, but I guess this would be too heavy for the Keystone bumper mount and also too high to get through the door for the front storage compartment? So where do I store it when I'm away for weeks? Can't take it on the airlines so I would have to store it inside the camper? Plus I would have to store it away every day to not invite construction workers to take it while I am gone to the groceries... So a bit of every day hassle. And the BillBumperQ bracket is pretty pricey and still does not solve the storage problem when away for weeks....

So I am looking for honest feedback if the Aussie or Olympian 5500 would not do the job for me? Hot enough to sear steaks and temperature low enough to do burgers and fish?

Thanks!
I purchased a weber grill and stand, its portable and can be moved under the awning where the bumper mounted one cannot!
First sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #28
GlampingHippie

We have one, and use it, and regret every day giving away the old portable fold up bbq on wheels.
The worst thing about the bumper mount is that you are stuck in that location.

So if it is windy, rainy you can't move your cooking to a better space.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #29
Cometman

We did not like the Aussie Grill that came with our TT, we gave it away. We bought a 22-inch Blackstone and LOVE IT!
Cometman is offline   Reply With Quote