Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Campermike

water leak in rear storage compartment

My 2013 Passport 2300BH has a water leak into the rear storage compartment. The water and damage seems to be most prevalent right in the corner, on the side of the camper. It does not seem to have any wetness inside the camper in the bunk area (that corner). I can't seem to figure where the water could come from though... there is a side marker right above the problem area, and I have already resealed around it; unless the marker itself is damaged and leaking that doesn't make much sense. There's also a window in the area but it is further in from the corner and not above the wet area. Would there be much likelihood that the roof is leaking there and traveling all the way into the storage compartment, without showing a leak inside? The walls don't feel damp or soft anywhere but in the storage compartment near the bottom. Thanks for any ideas on where to check next...
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Water travels in strange ways in an RV. Never discount any avenue until you inspect and rule it out. I would take a real close look at all the seams on the roof and if there is even the hint of doubt, seal it. Take the cover off the clearance light and pay attention to the screws. Are they rusty?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:30 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I found an issue before it became a big issue on my 240BH. It started when I found a mushroom in the underside of the rear corner. Thankfully it was pollen season last year and that helped me see what was happening It started at the gutter spout on the rear corner of the door side (above the outdoor kitchen). The sealant and trim install on that corner of the roof caused water to back-up and overflow the gutter and run down the side of the camper. I pulled the awning arm and resealed where it mounts to the side of the trailer and when I got to the marker lights, I saw a water line marked by pollen inside the lens. I pulled the lights, resealed the backing plates and then drilled weep holes into the bottom of the lenses. Have not had an issue since.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Water takes the path of least resistance. It can enter one place, run laterally for another distance (even feet) before finding another vertical path. Start at one end (I start at the roof) and work your way to the other end. Don't look at a narrow vertical path as it could be anywhere close by. Roof, windows, clearance lights, hatch door, any other place the wall or roof has a penetration. Use the correct sealant for the area/surface that you are going to seal (i.e.do not use silicone on the roof.)
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:45 AM   #5
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Water takes the path of least resistance. It can enter one place, run laterally for another distance (even feet) before finding another vertical path. Start at one end (I start at the roof) and work your way to the other end. Don't look at a narrow vertical path as it could be anywhere close by. Roof, windows, clearance lights, hatch door, any other place the wall or roof has a penetration. Use the correct sealant for the area/surface that you are going to seal (i.e.do not use silicone on the roof.)
I use the proper sealant not silicone... AFter thinking about it, our last rain event really didn't have much wind, so I find it hard to believe much water would come in through the side. As a result I will check around the roof again as I had resealed a few bits on that corner, but might have missed something. It had been missing its gutter extension, and I have replaced it. But I will make sure I didn't miss anything there. If the Window were an issue, how would one seal around it?
Old 05-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
I use the proper sealant not silicone... AFter thinking about it, our last rain event really didn't have much wind, so I find it hard to believe much water would come in through the side. As a result I will check around the roof again as I had resealed a few bits on that corner, but might have missed something. It had been missing its gutter extension, and I have replaced it. But I will make sure I didn't miss anything there. If the Window were an issue, how would one seal around it?
The wall should still be raintight without the gutter extension. The window would have to be removed, the butyl tape caulking cleaned off, new buttyl tape installed on window flange and reinstall window.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The wall should still be raintight without the gutter extension. The window would have to be removed, the butyl tape caulking cleaned off, new buttyl tape installed on window flange and reinstall window.
I understand the wall should be raintight even before. I do mostly suspect the roof... but will keep an eye on the window. Is the best way to test just start hosing places down and see which one lets water in? I don't want to go tearing out a window that is sealed fine if the roof is the problem.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I'd start at the bottom and work up with the hose. You could be hosing down the roof and the water running down the side onto the window, hatch or light could leak and you might think it's the roof.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
Campermike

Well, I found at least part of the leak (possibly the whole issue). There is a small gap in the caulk on the storage compartment itself... on the opposite side where I have normally noticed the water... but depending on how the trailer is set, the water can easily move across the compartment. There still may be another issue, but this is a significant part of it.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Campermike

I put some osi quad over the problem spot in the attached image. There was a gap there in the sealant that allowed water in. After fixing that I hosed down there window, marker lights, tail lights and roof. No new water came in. It's supposed to rain tonight so I may have a real test after that but looks promising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200507_162952705_HDR.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	27175  
Old 05-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Congrats! Hope it stays dry.