Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #21
WJQ

C.LeeNick, the only "mistake" you made was assuming the dealer was an "expert." But we all learn and sometimes the hard way. When you have the opportunity to contact this forum, you will generally get better info than from a dealer. Since I joined a few months ago, I observed that there is generally more knowledge here than at most dealers.

Here is my two cents worth on batteries. In my opinion, you are correct about blaming the dealer. However, if you spend a little time on the web, you will find lots of good info on batteries. They seem simple but there is more there than may seem necessary to the casual observer. Once you have spent a few hours learning about batteries, you will be rewarded for your whole RV life. Keep in mind that battery failure when you are boondocking is not fun.

The first mistake (crime) your dealer made was selling you a single 12-volt battery especially if you want to boondock. At this point, use what you have (two 12-volt batteries in parallel) but when you replace those, go to a pair of good 6-volt batteries. These are then connected in series for your 12 volt power need. You will get a more robust battery system and more amp-hours on a full charge. Here are some links to check out:
https://www.usbattery.com/ ; https://www.trojanbattery.com/markets/mr/6v/#aFlooded; https://batteryuniversity.com/

Both US Battery and Trojan are more expensive than what you will find at Walmart but I think they are better and worth it. I had a motor home until last year where I used a pair of Trojan T-105 batteries that lasted about 11 years.

I just bought my Cougar last November and haven't even installed the US Battery 2200 yet as the Utah winter has lasted forever. The US Bat 2200 specs are a little better than the T-105 and a little less expensive. Buy good batteries and take proper care of them especially keeping the water up (distilled water only) and keeping them above 50% charge level. When you need lots of power or for longer durations, use your generator to bring your battery charge up. When you have time, you may also learn a little more about battery chargers as they are also important to battery life. Cheap is not what you want. You definitely want a "SmartCharger" so you do not damage your batteries.

Good luck.

PS, I use an Interstate 12-Volt in my power boat for the trolling motor and I think it is fine. I also use Trojan SCS 150 in my small pontoon boat for a trolling motor.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery