Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
seaward83

Fresh Water Tank Valve

2017 Springdale Fireside Summerland. Fresh water tank says it can be filled through the city water fill valve. Says "turn the valves to the tank fill position" - but I cannot find anywhere where the "valves" are that you turn so you can fill the fresh water tank via the city water fill?

I've looked everywhere for schematics to show where everything is.. I videoed the dealer going over "everything" with me on the trailer, but no time did he hit on that. This is my first trailer, so I didn't even know what questions to ask.
seaward83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I would expect to find that Fill Switch in the convenience compartment near the city water connection.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
seaward83

Please forgive me - where is the 'convenience compartment'?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Not familiar with your rig, found a picture on line I could not see where a convenience center would be. I would check around your city water connection. There are no electrical or piping layouts for any RVs
Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone owner's manual is a generic booklet that provides information about all the features that are found in Keystone travel trailers. Not all of the information is applicable to every trailer and not all the trailers have all the features found in the booklet.

I'd suspect that the Summerland line of trailers does not have a "city water fill" capability. Usually that feature is found on "higher end" trailers, not on entry level trailers. Our Cougar XLite is a 2014 year model and does not have that feature. The only way to fill the fresh water tank on our trailer is with the gravity fill. You have to "stick the hose in the opening" and watch for water to flow out of the overfill vent. Once that happens, you know the tank is full.

If it's any consolation, there are a couple of current threads on the forum in which members who do have the "city water fill feature" are stating that they wish they had a gravity fill capability. So, sometimes "less is better"... If you do much dry camping (without hookups) you'll appreciate the gravity fill and most likely won't miss not having the city water fill capability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
outwest

I like the gravity-fill because I if I use the city-fill and it overflows, it runs back in onto the bedroom floor *ack!* Of course, whether or not that can happen to you all depends on the layout of your rig. Way mine is, even filling via the gravity-fill the spillage will flow back in to the bedroom floor, but at least I'm out right there to where I will be keeping an eye (and an ear) on how full it is (whereas with the city-fill it's easier to get sidetracked).

Two other reasons I tend to stick to using the gravity-fill - easy to add bleach water for cleaning and can't help but worry that the valve wont get fully switched back (either because of my failure to fully turn it or because of piece of grit) and that the end result will be water slowly flowing to the tank while hooked up to the water line at a full hookup site (and then overflowing with spillage coming into the bedroom)

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #7
seaward83

I do have the "city fill", was just wondering where the "valve" to turn it to fill the tank versus "pressure" was. If it is generic manual, then mine may not have a valve to turn. Must only be able to fill it via "gravity"

Thank you
Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
I like the gravity-fill because I if I use the city-fill and it overflows, it runs back in onto the bedroom floor *ack!* Of course, whether or not that can happen to you all depends on the layout of your rig. Way mine is, even filling via the gravity-fill the spillage will flow back in to the bedroom floor, but at least I'm out right there to where I will be keeping an eye (and an ear) on how full it is (whereas with the city-fill it's easier to get sidetracked).

Two other reasons I tend to stick to using the gravity-fill - easy to add bleach water for cleaning and can't help but worry that the valve wont get fully switched back (either because of my failure to fully turn it or because of piece of grit) and that the end result will be water slowly flowing to the tank while hooked up to the water line at a full hookup site (and then overflowing with spillage coming into the bedroom)

No matter which method you use to fill the fresh tank, if you overfill it, it should not leak any water at all in the interior of your trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #9
NorskeBob

Do you have a city connection and a valve similar to the picture below?
Anderson Kantleak Four Function Fill Station

Four Positions, Four Functions
City
– Pressure feed fixtures from 3/4" hose connection on backflow preventer.
Normal – Pump from the on-board tank to the fixtures using on-board pump.
Tank – Pressure fill the tank from 3/4" hose connection at backflow preventer. 100 gallons in 7 minutes.
Sanitize/Winterize – Draw in sanitizers and winterizing fluids from a bucket utilizing the on-board pump.

When filling from city water the tank will vent and overflow through the tank vent.

I have read that turning the valve/handle with the hose connected to the city water connection (backflow preventer) and pressurized will shorten the life on the rubber o-rings in the valve. I purchased a spare valve internal part just in case. http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page188.html

I purchased a pressure regulator (Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator) and have set it to 60 psig. This will prevent over-pressurizing the water lines in the RV and reduce the pressure at the Anderson valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	12943   Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	12944  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaward83 View Post
I do have the "city fill", was just wondering where the "valve" to turn it to fill the tank versus "pressure" was. If it is generic manual, then mine may not have a valve to turn. Must only be able to fill it via "gravity"

Thank you
Sounds like your rig is not equipped to fill the FWT using the city water connection.

Outwest; as stated by chuckster57 regardless of the method used to fill the FWT, water should not be entering your rig
Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
canesfan

Quote:

Thank you
Not to be nit picky, but a "city fill" isn't really correct. There is a "tank fill" and a city inlet connection, either two separate connections or one item with a valve to switch between them. The "fill" option fills your tank, the "city water" connection lets you use water from the campground pedestal if you have water hookups. As John said, that model most likely doesn't have a valve and has a separate gravity fill to fill your tank. Feel lucky you have this setup. If you have a valve it would most likely be right by your city water connection.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #12
seaward83

Thank you!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
No matter which method you use to fill the fresh tank, if you overfill it, it should not leak any water at all in the interior of your trailer.
True and I agree completely. Mine's probably a case of "yet another Vantage problem". Seems lots of things on the Vantage weren't done quite right and/or weren't thought out very well.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #14
seaward83

There u have it

So I have the city connect on one side of the trailer and the tank fill on the other, so it looks to be totally separate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2937.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	12946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	12947  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
canesfan

Quote:
So I have the city connect on one side of the trailer and the tank fill on the other, so it looks to be totally separate
Yep, that's it. City water for when you have water hookups, fresh water "gravity fill" for when you want to fill the tank. They are separate systems, no valves. Labeling was done in Amish, then translated to Chinese, then to "American". I wonder where you put the "stale" water or "country" water???
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
daveyandspring

Out west , my 16 fusion chrome 422 i have hooked to city and my fresh overflowed. My city fill valve is off, I promise. I keep turning pump on and pumping it out but every time I turn city water back on it starts filling fresh. I been parked here since august- this just started two nights ago when I was trying to backflush my blacks. I haven't moved any hoses. Any ideas? Mine spills onto kitchen floor if it goes over.
daveyandspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyandspring View Post
Out west , my 16 fusion chrome 422 i have hooked to city and my fresh overflowed. My city fill valve is off, I promise. I keep turning pump on and pumping it out but every time I turn city water back on it starts filling fresh. I been parked here since august- this just started two nights ago when I was trying to backflush my blacks. I haven't moved any hoses. Any ideas? Mine spills onto kitchen floor if it goes over.
Can not associate the back flushing your black tanks with this issue. I do recall past posts where the FWT was getting filled when connected to city water, If I recall it had something to do with the pressure/back flow portion on the pump itself. May want to do a search on either FWT or pump. Think pump was replaced to solve problem.

I would have thought overflow of the FWT would come out of either the Fresh Water gravity Fill and/or FWT vent on the outside of the rig, but into the rig wonder if you have another problem??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
daveyandspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Can not associate the back flushing your black tanks with this issue. I do recall past posts where the FWT was getting filled when connected to city water, If I recall it had something to do with the pressure/back flow portion on the pump itself. May want to do a search on either FWT or pump. Think pump was replaced to solve problem.

I would have thought overflow of the FWT would come out of either the Fresh Water gravity Fill and/or FWT vent on the outside of the rig, but into the rig wonder if you have another problem??
I think it's related to pressure. Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I will search those posts. He didn't have us using a regulator in this park and I'm not sure why. I messed with the water valve during my tank cleaning adventure. I heard two moderste pops apx 10 minutes before I realized it was overflow. It will overflow out the gravity fill and was- I though the pop sound may have been threads coming undone on the cap to the gravity as pressure built. Maybe something popped because I turned water up too high and that's why it is filling fresh now as a protection from bursting pipes? He's on base and won't be back for two more weeks. Trying to be a big girl:-/
Old 06-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
bobbecky

I'm inclined to think he has a bad check valve in his water pump which is allowing water to fill his fresh water tank. The other problem, water getting inside on his kitchen floor is probably from a failed air gap/backflow preventer valve in his black tank flush line. This valve is placed somewhere at a point above the level of the toilet and if it breaks will allow flush water, clean water, to get into the rig. Some valves are located below a bathroom sink, behind shower walls, possibly in this case, it may be under the kitchen sink. It will look like at this link. https://www.makariosrv.com/vacuum-br...571-vac-chk-a/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
daveyandspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I'm inclined to think he has a bad check valve in his water pump which is allowing water to fill his fresh water tank. The other problem, water getting inside on his kitchen floor is probably from a failed air gap/backflow preventer valve in his black tank flush line. This valve is placed somewhere at a point above the level of the toilet and if it breaks will allow flush water, clean water, to get into the rig. Some valves are located below a bathroom sink, behind shower walls, possibly in this case, it may be under the kitchen sink. It will look like at this link. https://www.makariosrv.com/vacuum-br...571-vac-chk-a/

After running pump a few times to empty fresh I think it's resolved itself. I've read other posts about the check valve and looked at diagrams. Because the pump had been accidentally turned on and suddenly off again, it's my theory that my check valve got stuck in the open position. I think it's closed now. Hubby gets off base in one week and will be here! The overflow is coming from a cupboard in kitchen that houses water heater. Thank you for your very helpful reply. This had happened once before when we bought trailer a year ago. Pump rarely used. Mostly park in campgrounds. I wish I had a smaller rig to just haul It to shop for every hic-up.
I do suspect the check valve will need to b replaced but with the underbelly covered... uggg

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water