Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
jramsey

299RKS Cougar High Country

The best has got to be the floor plan and the weight. If I had to pick one thing it would be the floor plan.

The worst would have to be the shelves in the kitchen pantry next to the refer. They are made of light weight door skin type material and in the far back of the fiver it bounces a little. I have replaced the light weight plywood with higher quality stronger plywood and have no problems since. One other minor complaint would be the sofa bed in the slide out, the legs are not long enough to touch the floor when the bed is opened. I had to make spacers to keep the bed from rocking at night.

Fir Na Tine
Ora et labora
2011 Cougar high country 299 RKS
2014 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax
jramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
jje1960

All best

Actually... (and I don't work for Keystone) it's been awesome for us in the new unit. Considering this unit is more than I ever dreamed I'd ever be able to afford, we are on cloud-nine for sure.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
Rock7

08 Cougar 31 RLS
2 days after delivery found roof leak (Dealer rep)
Microwave door wouldn"t Open (rep by me)
Ref when 110 goes off<It changes to gas, When 110 back on ,It goes off.
It will not go back to 110 by itself.
Cupboard doors all screwed to tight 50% were stripped. (Still a problem)
Bedroom shower floor squeeks when walking on it. (Dealer attempted fix)
Interior came 2 shades of paneling (Keystone redid interior)
Have to bungee drawers and cupboards to keep closed.
Living/Dining room slide Picture window fell out (My insurance) Another story
Spare tire fell off, Bolts broke ( My carrier not on recall) ( Me)
Rear axle wore out 2 tires ( After market warranty) On order)
TV antenae went up by itself, Driver following me watched it and stopped me (to be repaired ME?)
Back tank cracked (Me)
While it was repairing I installed extra insulation in belly
Shower door fell apart ( Dealer)

LOVE MY COUGAR I WON'T buy another KEYSTONE.
At least my slide didn't come out going down road like I saw a JAYCO do in Arizona.
I am serious I LOVE MY COUGAR
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
Festus2
Site Team

Mmmmmmm.....isn't this what psychologists refer to as "unconditional love"??
Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
Rock7

Wink

With this unit. Everytime I walk in, I'm like, what is next?.
I was told A cougar is funny. You either love it, Or Hate it.
Wife and I both love it, Floor plan is excellent, weight is good. Looks good.
We go to FL every winter,and if , you watch,and take care of things as they happen, We only have problems on the road.During long runs.
Last year we did over 9.000 miles. and every day was an adventure.
The window falling out in Salt Lake City was the high light.
We contacted factory in Pendleton,Or. for help,and was denied. This was initiated by a Pendelton,Or dealer.
My Ins told me protect the interior. Twice, I put on plastic and doct tape, second time I used Gorilla tape.
When window was replaced. Took an hour to do the window and 2 days to get the gum off the trlr. Ins. paid and was tickled that interior was OK.
CAN WE CALL IT "LOVE HATE :
iF ANY ONE HAS A PROBLEM W/UNIT Give me a bozz, can get you in the right direction anyhow. Even know factory people.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
RCrawler

We recently purchased a 324RLB. After 3 times out so far, everything has been pretty good. Love the room and the overall comfort. Getting a lot of looks and comments about the floor plan. Still learning the setup and leveling differences between a pull trailer and 5th wheel. Pulls nicely. Can't wait to get it out on some extended trips.

My main complaint is wishing the 1/2 bath were extra storage for the back room. It has become a toy closet for the most part. I would have liked to have a window on the opposite side in the loft and allowed them to open for some cross ventilation. I'm not sure if it is just me, but the dinette seat cushions are pretty flimsy. I weigh a little over 200 lbs and it feels like I'm sitting on the board underneath. I'm thinking about adding some foam for some more support.

Only a couple of little problems to report. Hot water side on the kitchen sink has started to leak. And with the A/C on and the elec water heater running, I tripped a breaker on initial startup. Have some wiring hanging down at the rear above the bumper that needs secured.

For those having issues with the landing gear wiring. Cut out the inline fuse and wire in a self resetting circuit breaker. Would save money on buying fuses and would only be a short wait before it would reset. I did it to mine first thing after reading about problems with it. But it has yet to fail so far.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #27
kschitoskey

Love it!

Love: weight, pulls like a dream, fit / finish is excellent.

Hate: fixed them (see signature). Also replaced drawer guides in pan drawers and put in a battery isolation switch.

Sure, any mass produced big ticket item like an RV is going to have some issues. It's all part of the adventure (although admittedly I got a good one).

It's so great to find a Cougar community. Most sites are polarized re: Keystone products. They love them or they hate them (mostly hate). My experience has been extremely positive, and I am a cantankerous PITA and am difficult to please.

06 Dodge Cummins 2500 Mega Cab, B&W Companion, Pac Brake air bags.
kschitoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
Manitoba

We just traded out 2010 Cougar 318SAB for a 2012 327RES

We just traded our 2010 Cougar 318SAB for a 2012 327RES for a few reasons. Mainly because my wife is short and couldn't reach the cupboard shelves in the 318. The kitchen storage layout seems to be for taller people. Also the desk area was a waste of space unless you planned on being in one location for a longer period of time and needed some "puter" space.. The 327 seems to have a more practical layout for us shorter people.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #29
dnskuster

Worst

2009 Challenger 30'. Poor quality workmanship. Looks pretty sitting but then the exterior screws fall out, rubber roof is loose in several spots. POS
dnskuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #30
LittleJoe

2011 SRX

Love the layout and the fact that the fridge,kitchen, bathroom,bedroom are accessible and usable even if slides are in. Like the fact that they finally put more tire than needed rather than less (235/85/16). Hope the 5K axles are up to the task.

Hate the fact that the front garage door can only be opened with truck attached if you are 100% straight with trailer. Even thickness of trailer plug is too much to swing door open. This is a bonehead mistake in design or dodge tailgates are taller than others??
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #31
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbhand View Post
The best thing was the price, the worst is the weak frame, equalizer, shackles, and nylon bushings in spring holes that wear out at 6k miles. The drawers in bedroom cannot hold more than 10lbs. without bending drawer brackets. The landing gears are not designed for unlevel surfaces and results in shear pins giving way. The slides cannot be stepped on much less used for seating while retracted without bending the roller brackets. The rear bumper is so weak one cannot mount a bike rack, I even took the spare tire off for fear of losing it. The stereo which came with it burned out, and a bolt which holds the floor down backed off and tore a hole in the linoleum in front of the main slide. I have had to adjust the main slide twice as the bolt holding the cone in place keeps backing off causing the bottom of the slide to move out. The under covering holds water when it rains, not sure why but I cut a hole in it to drain the water. This is a 2008 rks292 Cougar, the price wasn't bad.
PTI

Our Jensen radio went out as well, what did you replace it with?

Thanks

Ron
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #32
Johnnyfry

Re: Manatoba

Now you know why there is such an array of models available. The desk was an absolute must have for me, in fact it pretty much was the deciding factor.

I agree that the kitchen cabinets leave something to be desired. I am presently looking to install an extra shelf in the over sink cabinet and a slide out next to the fridge.

The light fixtures put out too much glare and are scheduled for replacement.

I have not had many problems and the price was right on my 318SAB

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
LarryL

Hi I'm so happy with the 326MKS and the DW really likes the big
kitchen the bathroom is big also in the living area the sofa looks strait
at the TV no neck turning and one chair can be swiveled to look strait at the TV.when we first got the trailer the dealer said we had to put
one chair upside down on the sofa,did not like doing that it can be put
in front of the sofa and use the same strap good for the back.
and it pulls so easy.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #34
wozzukes

We have the Springdale 284FWBHSSR.

LOVE the floor plan. It is the whole reason we bought it. With small kids we wanted the bunks, and the openness of this floor plan due to the opposing slides that gives plenty of floorspace for toys on rainy days sold us on this unit (a huge upgrade from our previous TT with no slides!). We even had room to add a rocking chair from Ikea which gets more use than the couch and doesn't get in the way of walking or cabinets or anything.

The one con and thing I hate is that all of the controls are right when you walk in the door on the bottom cabinet with NO COVER. Lots of buttons at the perfect height for toddlers to get their hands on. We're working on a cover, just haven't gotten there yet. Kind of stupid design when you are making something with bunks most likely to be used by kids.

We haven't had any issues, so I don't really have a whole lot of complaints, but I do wish this floor plan would have been offered in some of the mid range models. The interior just feels very cheap and we liked the interior and upgraded features of the Copper Canyons better (which seemed to be the only other model with a bunk house at our dealer), but didn't like how closed off the bunk room was in their bunk model. I also didn't like an exterior door in the back that kiddos can escape from ) We opted for floor plan over interior look though, and overall we are very happy with it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #35
Tikitim

Cougar 299 RKS HC

Dislikes- No bathroom fan wall switch, you have to turn it on at ceiling.
Too high of a step to get upstairs, should be 3 instead of 2.
Awning too short.
No BBQ quick disconnect.
Empty space above microwave, make a cubby or more cupboards.

Likes- Pulls like a dream.
Color (Gray)
Tons of space (Living and storage)

Would recommend this floorplan to anyone.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote