Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
jbjlock26

Dual Pane Window Option

I am approaching decision time on a Montana 323 High Country. I asked the dealer about the dual pane window option and he said that Keystone/Dometic do extreme temp testing on the standard unit and the dual pane glass really isn't necessary unless you are planning to regularly do the extreme weather camping. Also, the option adds significant weight. I's like to hear from others that either bought the option or decided against it.

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4 CC SB, Duramax LLY/Allison
PullRite SuperGlide 18K, Rotochocks, 37 gal. RDS Aux. Fuel Tank
jbjlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The double pane windows may provide you with two benefits --- insulation against both cold and heat. We have them but they must be an RV dual pane as they certainly don't seem as "thick" as you would find in house windows. They do seem to keep the unit somewhat warmer but we haven't camped in any of Keystone's "extreme weather conditions" - whatever that means.
Your decision in part, rests on how much "extreme" cold-weather camping you plan on doing. Personally, I would not put much faith in Keystone's "extreme temperature testing" nor in any claims made by an RV salesperson. Most have never spent a whole day camping in an RV. Very few, I have found, actually know what they are talking about.
I might suggest you ask to see a unit on their lot that does have the dual pane windows in them and make an assessment for yourself as to whether or not they are worth it. I am one of those who like to see what I am going to be buying. I can't comment on the extra weight but I don't think it would add up to that much.
You didn't mention how much extra $$$$, if any, would be involved in this option. Any option that involves pushing up the cost is always something to carefully consider.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Paddler

Before you spring for the DP windows, what are the R values for the roof and walls? I was looking at a 2011 High Country brochure yesterday and the only R value given was for the floor (R-21). No point in spending the money on the windows if Keystone reduced the R values of the roof and walls to save weight.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
MILBY

Paddler you are so correct you would have to look into the doors,the storage doors, and all other openings before you could make any headway by changeing windows
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
antiqfreq

Unless we were buying a fulltimer RV we decided not to get the dual pane windows.

We camped last year in ALL kinds of weather. Lots of snow everywhere we went for months.

And as Paddler said - if the R-values for the roof and floor aren't that much
what difference will the windows make ?

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Moki

We took delivery of our Cougar 276 this March and ordered it with the window option. I wasn't looking for the heat saving as much as doing away with the condensation running down the windows and walls. With getting it in the Spring, have only been in temps in the low 20's but no condensation anywhere. So far we're very pleased with their performance. Living in Wisconsin, we typically camp in temps down to zero.
Moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
geo

John -

Festus2 is quite correct - take anything an RV salesman says with a huge grain of salt! If what you want really does matter, get it in writing with the sales manager's signature.

We have the Alpine fiver, and we did order the Hehr double pane windows. We are very happy with them. They do have some insulating qualities for both hot and cold. Right now, here in Texas, you can easily rest your hand on the window in the afternoon as the sun shines in. There was no condensation on them last winter. Yes, they might be a little heavier, but one is probably only talking about 5 or so pounds a window. Sounds like dealer FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) to me. And I doubt if any forum member would step up to the plate to vouch for Keystone's "extreme winter testing".

Do what you believe to be best and what you want to afford. After all, you want to be happy with your camping experience.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
Unless we were buying a fulltimer RV we decided not to get the dual pane windows.

We camped last year in ALL kinds of weather. Lots of snow everywhere we went for months.

And as Paddler said - if the R-values for the roof and floor aren't that much
what difference will the windows make ?

Jo
The windows are the "weakest" insulation point in any RV or house. Single pane windows can have an R-rating as low as 1, slightly higher if coated.

Going with sealed double glazed windows can more than double the r-value. Helps keep the cold in or out.
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Paddler

I agree the single pane windows are the weakest R-value link and I would have purchased my rig with dual pane windows had it been on my dealer's lot. The comfort factor of the DP windows, less heat buildup in the summer and no sweating in the winter would have been worth the price.

I'm just curious as to the R values for the Montana High Country roof and walls? On the Montana, the sales brochure clearly proclaims " With the Artic package: Roof R-38, walls R-9 and floor R-21", however the High Country only mentions the R value of the floor. Why is that? Curious minds what to know...

From my limited experience with RV's, if the manufacturer isn't proclaiming the virtue of something...there's usually a reason.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjlock26 View Post
I am approaching decision time on a Montana 323 High Country. I asked the dealer about the dual pane window option and he said that Keystone/Dometic do extreme temp testing on the standard unit and the dual pane glass really isn't necessary unless you are planning to regularly do the extreme weather camping. Also, the option adds significant weight. I's like to hear from others that either bought the option or decided against it.
I ordered my unit with dual pane windows. Every previous RV I have owned had single pane. Weight? That's a new one, hardly a factor if you ask me. Sounds like he has a unit on the lot he wants to sell VS you ordering. I wanted dual pane because we camp in extremes. It can be freezing temperature or scorching heat. It was a 600 dollar option for my unit. My last unit was single pane and I hated the condensation on the windows, plus they fogged up. Doesn't happen in this new unit. Heat wise, i think its better.. I suppose 600 bucks buys alot of propane for the furnace if I opted for single pane..

Old RV was 27 feet single pane, new unit 37 dual pane. Cold weather I am of the belief I use less propane to run the furnace temperature holds. It also seems to help in hot weather VS friends who don't have them.

I am happy, would check it again on the option sheet.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Quilting Gal

Dual Pane Windows

We just purchased our 3150RL Montana. It is wonderful except we really, really miss the dual pane windows that we had in our Sunnybrook.
There was no condensation in the winter, better heat control in the summer and the biggest thing we miss is the sound barrier. As soon as we traded we went back to the rv park we were staying at and we noticed the noise factor quite a bit.

We may try to go to the factory and have the windows changed out - it would be well worth it.

As a final note, dual pane windows do have problems as they will leak after enough movement - several of ours did. They were Hehr and Hehr sent replacement glass only as the warranty was for 10 years.

Good luck with your decision!
Quilting Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
caser41

Hi All. We have a cougar 276, 2008 model. We do a considerable amount of camping in all types of weather. 3 months on the Alaska highway included. We live in Canada and can get the extreme weather while camping, especially in the mountains. We have single pane windows and haven't experienced any condensation. As far as the R factor goes, I have no idea what it is, and what it would be with DP windows. My 2cents worth..
caser41 is offline   Reply With Quote