Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Rabidd

Manufactured Date

I was out looking at some Toy haulers a few weeks ago. I asked the sales man what year the trailers where. He said they where all 2020 models. When I looked at the sticker on the trailer that has the weights and tire info and stuff the sticker on one showed manufactured in 9/2019 and one 7/2019. So how can you tell what year the trailer really is unless you see the title. Or believe you are being told the correct info.
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you look at vehicles, typically September is the "introduction of new models" so in September, 2019, the 2020 models are introduced. That has changed "somewhat in recent years" but was true for vehicles from the 50's through the 2010's.

Keystone RV's are introduced in March/April for the following year. So, between now and April, you'll start to see 2021 models arrive on the dealership lots. I'd expect that any day now, you'll see the "current specs" change from 2020 to 2021 on the Keystone website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It's only confusing if you don't know the secret code. Now you know and are a member of the club.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Pull Toy

If in doubt, ask to see the "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin". This is the document, from the factory, that documents a particular unit. This is an official document that will have all of the particulars necessary prior to any state registration It is similar to a Title.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
Rabidd

Thanks I guess the best would be to ask for the paper work before making any deal.
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

When we purchased our current unit we ordered it after seeing it at an RV show. The show was in Feb. We ordered it in March (still had the "show price") and after negotiating everything from the price to what they would add etc. the order was placed. The dealer called me 2 weeks later and said the delivery was going to be delayed 2 weeks because they were changing over for the new model year.

So I got a 1 model year newer unit, the front cap was changed to the newer fiberglass cap, and a few other "minor" changes for the negotiated price. For that, it was worth waiting 2 more weeks when the local campgrounds weren't going to open anyway.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

What Marshall posted brings up another "concept of model year changes" that hasn't been discussed.

Keystone "designates a specific unit as the "model year change" and all trailers produced after that trailer will carry the "new model year designation"....

That said, Keystone ALSO uses up "existing stocks" in the plant. So, the first few trailers in the "new model year" may have "last model year furniture color" or "last model year light fixtures" or "last model year carpet/vinyl colors" or "last model year decals/FILON color/TPO color/front cap design/etc....

As the "old stocks are used, the new stock is delivered and incorporated into the production run. So, you may well have two 2021 trailers with the "exact same model number/floorplan and one is gray while the other is tan. One has fabric interior and the next has "pleather", one has gray "wood-look vinyl" and the next has "travertine tan vinyl" flooring....

This is one of those "key concepts" that really applies to the comment on every brochure: "The manufacturer reserves the right to make production changes without notice"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #8
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What Marshall posted brings up another "concept of model year changes" that hasn't been discussed.

Keystone "designates a specific unit as the "model year change" and all trailers produced after that trailer will carry the "new model year designation"....

That said, Keystone ALSO uses up "existing stocks" in the plant. So, the first few trailers in the "new model year" may have "last model year furniture color" or "last model year light fixtures" or "last model year carpet/vinyl colors" or "last model year decals/FILON color/TPO color/front cap design/etc....

As the "old stocks are used, the new stock is delivered and incorporated into the production run. So, you may well have two 2021 trailers with the "exact same model number/floorplan and one is gray while the other is tan. One has fabric interior and the next has "pleather", one has gray "wood-look vinyl" and the next has "travertine tan vinyl" flooring....

This is one of those "key concepts" that really applies to the comment on every brochure: "The manufacturer reserves the right to make production changes without notice"......
Our Raptor has the manufacturing date in the upper right corner of the weight sticker. I don't know if they all come that way. Our 2018 model trailer was manufactured on 2/16/18, so that makes it the end of the model year. As John points out, it came with 2017 dated tires and even had some 2017 appliances (must have had a lot of extra stock). So, rather than getting stuck on the date of manufacture, get the purchase price, features, & appliances you want first. Unless you you turn your trailer over every year or two, the "model year" resale value is less important. Example: I would have liked to have the 3 AC Omni-Chill system and the upgraded iN.Command system, both of which were available on some 2018 model Raptors. But due to purchase price, I picked one with fewer features to make it affordable to me. Make sense? JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
CWtheMan

The date on the vehicle certification label is the date of final certification. It is done before being shipped to participating dealers.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

As others said the VIN sticker which every vehicle has one. (for the last several decades) Shows the build date some month/year others month/day/year. Do not ask, just look and read it yourself. You may need to ask the model year, that is different. If you will not go look at the VIN, than ask for the manufactures certificate of origin and hope the salesman will get it. They should be locked up in the title clerks office and likely only work days mon-fri.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote