Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #21
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^This is a fact! I had never been to one but saw some being constructed. Then, this last trip I had to occasion to stop at one outside Dallas and man, was that nice! Lots of room, a zillion pumps plus......a heck of a store with smoked brisket that was actually good. I'll hit them all whenever I can from now on.
Are you referring to Pilot/FJ or Bucky's? Sounds more like Bucky's

Edit: I didn't read the post above Sourdough's close enough, he is referring to Bucky's
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #22
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nied View Post
If you are using the interstate highways, www.findfuelstops.com is a good source for information. I like Loves stations and never have had a problem with our 30' trailer.

Thanks! That is a great tool.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the majority of "discomfort around fuel pumps" comes from not doing it often enough to feel comfortable "jockeying a long vehicle in close quarters". We just returned from 6 weeks on the road, triple-towing with a total length of around 70'. With a 26 gallon diesel tank, trust me when I say that refueling stops are frequent. When we get to something just under a half tank, I start looking for diesel. Invariably, at almost every "truck stop" you'll find a cheaper price "just across the street"... Most of those range from 15 to 25 cents a gallon. Is it enough to motivate me to turn into the cheaper station? Often it is, depending on the number of vehicles at the pumps and the "access around the pumps"....

For me, after years of towing, I can usually read the situation and make a decision quickly. Even with the excess length and the restrictions of maneuvering such a rig in close quarters, I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get "in and out easily" and I've never had the need to unhitch either trailer to access the pumps.

I would suggest that with experience, the reluctance and the "nerves" that are being experienced will, for most people, disappear. It's a "normal part of towing" to need fuel and it's a "normal part of towing" to need to access fuel pumps that sometimes are in "close quarters"....

What once caused "pain and tremors" is now "old hat and just a part of towing a large RV".... I'd suspect that in 2 or 3 years of "doing it" that you'll feel much more comfortable and not feel the tension you now feel. That said, if you avoid ever being in the situation, you'll never overcome the angst.

So, don't avoid the fuel pumps, just do it smartly and with enough forward thinking so you don't get into a situation you can't recover from..... I know, I know, but after a few years, you won't worry nearly as much as you do now.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
Northofu1

I am pretty new at this, I do know most larger towns and cities have gasoline alleys. Serena (trusty co-pilot) looks for roads that have a few gas stations close to hiway, I then use the one that is most user friendly, google earth is awesome.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #25
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Use the outside lane when possible. Gives better escape routes.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
Laredo Tugger

When I had the 6.2L gasser fuel stops were very frequent as well. In fact during "training",when I was figuring out my ranges, I had to "draft" off of a big rig in south Texas for a considerable distance. Managed to find fuel with 3 miles left on the truck display. Never got that close again.
After that I used Google maps with street view to plan where I would stop for fuel and the best access to use. Never had any real issues doing this. You just can't plan for the guy who parks at the only pump you have access to and goes inside to ???? whatever.
Like they say "You can't fix stupid"
Now that I have a diesel I just use the truck stops. The only time I took a shot at the cheaper diesel at an independent station, I had to exit on a bad angle and rather quickly to clear traffic lanes. Got to the campsite and my spare had been "shoved" up into the roof ladder. With a little "manual torque" I was able to get the spare and ladder back to somewhat normal configuration.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #27
hornet28

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the majority of "discomfort around fuel pumps" comes from not doing it often enough to feel comfortable "jockeying a long vehicle in close quarters". We just returned from 6 weeks on the road, triple-towing with a total length of around 70'. With a 26 gallon diesel tank, trust me when I say that refueling stops are frequent. When we get to something just under a half tank, I start looking for diesel. Invariably, at almost every "truck stop" you'll find a cheaper price "just across the street"... Most of those range from 15 to 25 cents a gallon. Is it enough to motivate me to turn into the cheaper station? Often it is, depending on the number of vehicles at the pumps and the "access around the pumps"....

For me, after years of towing, I can usually read the situation and make a decision quickly. Even with the excess length and the restrictions of maneuvering such a rig in close quarters, I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get "in and out easily" and I've never had the need to unhitch either trailer to access the pumps.

I would suggest that with experience, the reluctance and the "nerves" that are being experienced will, for most people, disappear. It's a "normal part of towing" to need fuel and it's a "normal part of towing" to need to access fuel pumps that sometimes are in "close quarters"....

What once caused "pain and tremors" is now "old hat and just a part of towing a large RV".... I'd suspect that in 2 or 3 years of "doing it" that you'll feel much more comfortable and not feel the tension you now feel. That said, if you avoid ever being in the situation, you'll never overcome the angst.

So, don't avoid the fuel pumps, just do it smartly and with enough forward thinking so you don't get into a situation you can't recover from..... I know, I know, but after a few years, you won't worry nearly as much as you do now.....
Couldn't agree more. But I have an 84 gal capacity which makes for a lot less stops. My truck and 5th wheel are much shorter than my truck and 38 ft car trailer. As said you learn as you get more experience and I've been pulling trailers of one kind or another since the late 60's
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #28
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Or what about pulling into and occupying a full side of gas pumps at a 7Eleven which is next door to a place you'd like to grab some grub (38' Keystone Outback) before getting into Chula Vista but no place to park and also not needing gas but.... acting like you do-just asking for a friend?-lol
Now I'll run in for some snack or what not....
buy something.
I also have a 5gal gas can filled when I travel.
Attachment 22012
Hey that’s an IG! I have 3
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #29
Fishsizzle

One thing to think about is Pacific Pride or CFN

Both are designed for commercial traffic and have both gas/diesel and large lots.

I used them for years when I ran equipment, not so much anymore. No bathrooms, and no fast food. They are scary at night.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #30
pdaniel

I have seen gasoline at Pilot/Flying J in truck lanes that are marked for RV use.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
sonofcy

What I do now is park the rig in the RV park for the night and unhitch. This means just getting the truck in and out of the gas station. Of course I might have an advantage, I drive a dually diesel F450 with HUGE tanks, 188 Liters or 49 US Gals. I can drive two days (200mi/320Kms per day @ 25L/100Km or 9.4mpg) if needed but I fill up every day. That is one of the three reasons for paying an extra $2,500 for the F450 over the F350, bigger brakes, bigger fuel tank, class 4 parts with class 3 licensing. I have in the past pulled all 40'9" into normal stations outside of the city, I just look for an outside open pump lane so I have room to get in and out.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #32
mhbell

Flying J Yma Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.
One advantage of having a heavy rv which required a diesel was being able to use the truck lanes. Never once in 10+ years did I ever get dirty looks or off color remarks from truckers when using the truck lanes, just fill up & move forward, which for my 30+/- gallons didn't take but about 5 minutes with the truck pumps.
Flying J at Fortuna RD Foothills Yuma AZ 108000 North Frontage Road, Yuma, AZ 85365
Mel
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #33
Jweems

Fuel

I normally start looking for fuel when my gauge shows 1/2. For the most part I do use truck stops. My truck is a diesel. Looking for fuel that early helps take some pressure off. I usually try to find regular gas stations with diesel fuel to save some on the price, and occasionally that works. The trade off however is finding one that is an easy in easy out. Many times it is a no go and we pass it by. Knowing I have plenty of fuel gives some piece of mind, but it can still be a challenge.
For the most part we use truck stops. And have had the best luck there although you pay a price for it as well.
Gas buddy app can be helpful as well.
Jweems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #34
Cardcathrn

You are not alone as we have had same issue! In desperation, we stopped in an Oasis thinking we could do it. I had to literally stand at the ramp and stop cars entering so he could back up and maneuver around to get out. What a nightmare! I will check out the link another member posted as we will be heading from Chicago to the Badlands and want to have minimal stress!
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #35
Hamlej

We use Sirius Travel link. Just hit fuel type and it will give you everything near you and also price. Easy way to pick where you want to fuel.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 Montana 3820FK
2019 Ford F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
KFM

Our solution to removing the trauma in pulling into gas station with our camper was to have a 50 gallon fuel tank put on our tow vehicle. We replaced OEM tank with Titan tank. Work was done by our Ford dealer and warranty not affected. We now can drive to our CG, unhook and set up and then go and get fuel at usually a lower cost gas station. Our camping experience much more enjoyable now.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #37
goodellj

Lots of good advice here. The original posting does not say gasoline or diesel.

We have been all over the country and I always use truck lanes at truck stops to get diesel. I pull in and get in line with the semi's and have never had any issue, never gotten a 'dirty look', and never felt unwelcome. I HAVE felt the envious looks of working stiffs who would like to be in an RV, living a life of leisure (like me!). After you fill up you must pull ahead to let the guy behind you start fueling while you go inside to take care of business.

I agree about Buck-ee's and wish they were in all states and not just Texas. I prefer the smoked turkey sandwich. Oh, yeah, they also sell diesel and the pumps are very spacious and convenient.

I think you can always get cheaper fuel somewhere else, and if we are going out to dinner or running errands at our overnight destination I will take a few minutes and get diesel fuel at a regular gas station unhooked, with just the truck.

I don't know about everyone else, but I get about 10% worse mileage with biodiesel. Biodiesel should be cheaper but it is not. If you can get regular diesel at the same price or even if you pay a premium, it is worth it. Don't get me started about super cheap diesel because it is low-quality and you will get 20% worse mileage or even lower. USDOT requires octane to be posted on the pump for gasoline but not for diesel, which is called the cetane rating. Good diesel with a good cetane rating would be worth paying a premium for. The reason people use a fuel additive is to boost the cetane rating, whether they know it or not.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #38
Tireman9

Go practice in Mall or Box store parking lot. Use a tin can or coffee cup as markers for gas "islands" practice the Exit first to learn how far you can pull out before you turn. Have the co-pilot watch from behind for rear end swing out. You do not want to clip a gas pump as you leave. You might need 10 to 20 trials before it becomes easy.
Shut off the radio and other distractions.

Then try the "pull-in"

For many years I drove a 1 ton dually with slide-in camper pulling a 26' box race car hauler with Camaro inside from OH to CA or FL or CT or Toronto.
It takes practice and you can crush a few coffee cups with no consequences to worry about.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #39
dsttexas

It's all about planning ahead for me.

Our RV trips are always planned in pretty good detail before heading out. Especially important in terms of Park reservations where you WANT to stay, and I always plan out all my fuel stops as well. Sometimes it's when we're in one spot for a couple days so fueling unhitched is a breeze.

I recommend RVTripWizard to help plan any trip.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #40
pdaniel

True, the diesels have lower capacities. However, I live in the intermountain states, and while a gasoline powered may get me from point a to point b, the diesel outperforms the gasser in our mountains.
Second thought is a gasoline engine, naturally aspirated, loses 10% of its horsepower for every 1000 feet above sea level where a turbocharged diesel will not lose power until approximately 8000 feet above sea level.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel