Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
yesiamapirate

Leak...Part 2 or is it 3?

I don't want to be one of those that constantly complains but I am so sad about my new camper. Cougar 27SAB. I feel we got a lemon.

First the bathroom skylight leaked. Before our first trip out, I fixed the leak. I also applied Dicor to many other suspect areas. I was ok with it...not my first trailer and it is what we do, new or old...right?

Next up, water tank. Maiden voyage. We get to the campground and out from under the underbelly is water dripping. Long story short, to the dealer it goes for a repair on the water tank. It was leaking near the inlet hose.

Next up, the slide. Taking it out for it's second trip ever. I pull out the slide to get it ready and the floor under where the slide was is soaked. Not a little but puddles. Call the dealer..appointment made. The weekend was going to be dry so I dried out the floor as best I could and we carried on.

Next up, the bed. So we get out to the campground on this same trip ( see above) and have a nice weekend. However, un-forcasted rain falls on Saturday night. How did we find this out? We woke up to soaking wet pillows. SMH. Somewhere was a leak near the bed, running down the wall from under the big front window. We call the dealer, pack up and drop it off on the way home.

Two weeks later the camper is ready. The water tank holds water and the leaks are fixed. Actually, they couldn't reproduce them. They said they caulked some areas and used a hose to test.... They pull the camper out of the repair bay and call us for pick up. We didn't pick it up until this morning. It rained last night and you guessed it....the bed was soaked.

I don't even know what to say. The dealer was closed when we picked it up today.

I am not just writing to complain or vent. I know that water can make it's way anywhere and is hard to find the entry point. I do think I am going to have to try and find the leak though. We have a 10 day trip planned and it cannot be that hard. I will also bring it back to the dealer, but in the meantime, any thoughts?

The roof looks good. I see no areas of concern. Today we took caulk and made sure the LED lights on the front were sealed. We closely looked at the front window, it looks to be fine, nice and tight on the glass. It has to be coming from somewhere and I know it might not be right were the water is coming in.

I am quite sure the slide and the front leaks are two different entry points.

Thank you
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiamapirate View Post
I don't want to be one of those that constantly complains but I am so sad about my new camper. Cougar 27SAB. I feel we got a lemon.

First the bathroom skylight leaked. Before our first trip out, I fixed the leak. I also applied Dicor to many other suspect areas. I was ok with it...not my first trailer and it is what we do, new or old...right?

Next up, water tank. Maiden voyage. We get to the campground and out from under the underbelly is water dripping. Long story short, to the dealer it goes for a repair on the water tank. It was leaking near the inlet hose.

Next up, the slide. Taking it out for it's second trip ever. I pull out the slide to get it ready and the floor under where the slide was is soaked. Not a little but puddles. Call the dealer..appointment made. The weekend was going to be dry so I dried out the floor as best I could and we carried on.

Next up, the bed. So we get out to the campground on this same trip ( see above) and have a nice weekend. However, un-forcasted rain falls on Saturday night. How did we find this out? We woke up to soaking wet pillows. SMH. Somewhere was a leak near the bed, running down the wall from under the big front window. We call the dealer, pack up and drop it off on the way home.

Two weeks later the camper is ready. The water tank holds water and the leaks are fixed. Actually, they couldn't reproduce them. They said they caulked some areas and used a hose to test.... They pull the camper out of the repair bay and call us for pick up. We didn't pick it up until this morning. It rained last night and you guessed it....the bed was soaked. I don't even know what to say. The dealer was closed when we picked it up today.

I am not just writing to complain or vent. I know that water can make it's way anywhere and is hard to find the entry point. I do think I am going to have to try and find the leak though. We have a 10 day trip planned and it cannot be that hard. I will also bring it back to the dealer, but in the meantime, any thoughts?

The roof looks good. I see no areas of concern. Today we took caulk and made sure the LED lights on the front were sealed. We closely looked at the front window, it looks to be fine, nice and tight on the glass. It has to be coming from somewhere and I know it might not be right were the water is coming in.

I am quite sure the slide and the front leaks are two different entry points.

Thank you
I'd first ask, why did you pick it up? And I'd follow that with, If the dealer is repairing it, why are you putting caulking on lights? I'd follow that with, Why not leave it where it was sitting, contact the dealer and tell them, "I wasted my time going to your place of business to pick up my camper after you called me and told me it was ready. Guess what, it rained the night before I made the trip and when I got there, the bed was wet AGAIN !!!!! I'd like an appointment with the general manager AND the service manager at your earliest opportunity, but no later than Monday before close of business."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd first ask, why did you pick it up? And I'd follow that with, If the dealer is repairing it, why are you putting caulking on lights? I'd follow that with, Why not leave it where it was sitting, contact the dealer and tell them, "I wasted my time going to your place of business to pick up my camper after you called me and told me it was ready. Guess what, it rained the night before I made the trip and when I got there, the bed was wet AGAIN !!!!! I'd like an appointment with the general manager AND the service manager at your earliest opportunity, but no later than Monday before close of business."
These are all good points. In hindsight, yes. We have a 10 day trip planned and I am hoping to find the leak and salvage the trip. But to your point, they have not heard the end of it either way. Thank you for your thoughts.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiamapirate View Post
These are all good points. In hindsight, yes. We have a 10 day trip planned and I am hoping to find the leak and salvage the trip. But to your point, they have not heard the end of it either way. Thank you for your thoughts.
I know it doesn't do you much...as John pointed out, but catching things up front, holding folks accountable, will always put you miles ahead of "I didn't pay attention/I didn't know". I wish you luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak