Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Danno

Dometic awning slow to roll up

Hi folks, I had a issue this last weekend while retracting my awning. I believe it is a model 9100, but the the AE sticker says model #915GN20.001B.

Extending seems to be about right for speed, but retracting is painfully slow. This is something new, it has been just fine but now I'm not sure it will make it in again.

Its on a 2010 Raptor 361LEV. My batteries are fully charged and it does the same thing whether on shore or battery power.

So my guess is a bad switch?

Any ideas would be great.
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Hi Danno,

Just a guess here, but make sure your switch contacts are clean, and that you have a good ground. When the switch works better in one direction than the other that is where I'd start. It's probably not the motor, cause they don't care which direction they are going.

Another possibility is that your vinyl is crooked or misaligned. The best way to check this is to look at your arms when fully retracted. If there is a bow in them, fore or aft of the vertical mounting brackets, you may need to adjust your awning at the roof line to line up straight. This would be more pronounced when retracting because of the added stress on the fabric. When you roll it out, it relieves the stress, and thus goes out easier.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Danno

Thanks for the ideas, I will look at both!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
kenhigdon

Danno,
I had the same problem with my 2010 Copper Canyon and Dometic Awning. Changing the switch was a cheap first stab. No Joy! As the motor continued to fail, it got to the point that it was slow to roll out, and I had to get a step ladder, and while the switch was depressed to release the lock, manually roll the awning back in.
My fix was to buy a "used" motor on e-bay from a guy in Indiana that scavenged parts from damaged awnings. The swap out was a two hour job for two of us. There are some u-tube videos that explain the disassembly, reassembly for Dometic awnings.

Ken
kenhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Danno

Thanks everyone for your input! I had some time to have a look at my awning yesterday with a game plan. It went like this.

1- try operating with wall switch, fast out, slow in...
2- try operating with remote, fast out, slow in...

So that told me it wasn't a power problem, and I was on shore power.

Grab the ladder and remove the one screw attaching the awning to the awning track. I ran the awning in and out a few times allowing the awning to self center and what do you know I and it are happy campers (no pun intended).

Now what I don't understand is, what changed, its a 2010 and has worked just fine until this years first camp trip.

Tags
awning, dometic