Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Jgraham14813

New battery slide still won’t crest the hump to come in

As you guys requested getting a new battery for the slide issue I had, I did and the slide still won’t climb the hump even with the tow vehicle attached and shore power but if I manual move it it moves pretty easy with half inch ratchet and 15/15 socket . So I guess where is my next place to look for issues

2001 keystone cougar 276
Jgraham14813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Jgraham14813

And when the slide stops moving I can still hear noise (humming sound) coming from the motor until I let off the switch if this helps anyone for an answer
Jgraham14813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a guess, so take it for what it is:

It sounds like the motor is not developing enough power to "pull the slide" over the hump. That could be from dirt/grime on the mechanism causing it to drag, it could be from a bent/damaged ram, it could be from the motor armature being damaged or part of the winding being shorted out, it could be from the brushes in the motor not being in full contact with the armature "brass segments", it could be from corrosion in the wiring connections anywhere from the battery to the motor, it could be from the battery connections, it could be a weak/corroded circuit breaker that just doesn't pass enough electrical power but still doesn't open to "reveal" its problem....

Only a good inspection/cleaning/repair of the system will identify the problem. Consider that it may very well "NOT BE ONE ISSUE" but a combination of several different problems, all contributing a small bit to the overall failure.

Locating any (an all) problems, cleaning and reconditioning the system is probably going to be your solution and much better than a "hit and miss approach"

I'd start by giving the entire system a good cleaning, inspect the motor (not by just looking at it but by taking it out and checking/repairing it) and make sure that all of the electrical wiring is in good order, connections are tight and clean and developing full power through each connector.

If the slide works with the hand crank, I'd suspect the motor isn't developing enough power, but that may be because the slide rams are too dirty and dragging down the motor capability. There's just too much to "point a finger" at one problem with any certainty.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, slide