Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #81
notanlines

Frank, you were doing fair with your advice until you got to the Airstream part. Who would want to spend that money to live in a skinny tin can....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 AM   #82
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Frank, you were doing fair with your advice until you got to the Airstream part. Who would want to spend that money to live in a skinny tin can....
You noticed I saved the best for last. We winter in an old Airstream park, and the wife and I cannot understand how anyone can live for 6 months in the "Can", they do and come over to admire our SOB.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #83
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Sold trailer to second couple that came to look at it. The first couple were going to get it, but he said he called the dealer and they told him to fix the delamination problem, it would cost $3,500 going by the description he gave them. So he backed out. Second couple loved it just fine. Said they looked at another one just like ours and it had the same delamination problem, but ours was in far better shape over all. They looked hard, no sign of leaks anywhere... gave us $7,400 cash on the spot.

So now it's time to look for another trailer as we sold our house the day after it was listed and it's pending now. The Seattle/Tacoma housing market is still red hot. We're moving out in the country. This time around for a trailer, I'm going to do a lot more research and make absolutely sure I don't run into a delamination problem after the warranty runs out. I'm pretty spooky of Keystone now after this experience, so may look at other brands... any suggest on the best ones?

Y'all have been great help so I'm listening.
One mentioned Airstream and a couple bashed them. Why? I always thought they were well made and EXPENSIVE. Plus looked better than most trailers too. In fact, I didn't get a new Airstream. What I meant was Two days after I sold my Keystone someone took over my spot with a brand new Airstream.
I'm going to start looking and researching on getting my next trailer, a brand new one this time in the 21-24 ft range.. Looks pretty dang NICE and looks well made too. Futuristic! Too small for me, but I sure liked it. Too expensive too.

I'm going to start looking and researching on getting my next trailer, a brand new one this time in the 21-24 ft range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365b.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	21597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366b.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	21598  
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 AM   #84
Frank G

Congrats on your new Airstream, they are a great TT and in my previous posts I was poking at them a little. It is factual that they can leak after time. If we were to travel North America and Alaska we would surely do it with an Airstream for many reasons. To park it for 6 months and live in it, not for us.

There are several Airstream snowbirds in our winter park that also own the model you purchased to make the journey back and forth to the north country and Canada. A great choice.

Again Congratulations.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #85
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Congrats on your new Airstream, they are a great TT and in my previous posts I was poking at them a little. It is factual that they can leak after time. If we were to travel North America and Alaska we would surely do it with an Airstream for many reasons. To park it for 6 months and live in it, not for us.

There are several Airstream snowbirds in our winter park that also own the model you purchased to make the journey back and forth to the north country and Canada. A great choice.

Again Congratulations.
OH DANG! I need to reword that...
I didn't get a new Airstream. What I meant was Two days after I sold my Keystone someone took over my spot with a brand new Airstream.
I'm going to start looking and researching on getting my next trailer, a brand new one this time in the 21-24 ft range. As much as I've always loved the look of an Airstream ever since I was a kid, they're too expensive.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #86
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Sold trailer to second couple that came to look at it. The first couple were going to get it, but he said he called the dealer and they told him to fix it would cost $3,500 going by the description he gave them. So he backed out. Second couple loved it just fine. Said they looked at another one just like ours and it had the same delamination problem, but ours was in far better shape over all. They looked hard, no sign of leaks anywhere... gave us $7,400 cash on the spot.

So now it's time to look for another trailer as we sold our house the day after it was listed and it's pending now. The Seattle/Tacoma housing market is still red hot. We're moving out in the country. This time around for a trailer, I'm going to do a lot more research and make absolutely sure I don't run into a lamination problem after the warranty runs out. I'm pretty spooky of Keystone now after this experience, so may look at other brands... any suggest on the best ones?

Y'all have been great help so I'm listening.

Jack, just be aware that the situation you encountered happens to other brands as well. I've seen lots and lots of them running up and down the hiways and biways with the same issue that aren't Keystone so changing brands won't eliminate theh possibility of that problem.

I will also say, after completing another 2 days of trailer "looking" that, to me, Keystone just offers better floorplans, better pricing and in many cases what appears to me to be better construction. The field opens up when you get to the top end units and there are some discernible differences between Keystone and other top end units (some others are better/nicer). Do all the research and look into them all. Be sure to tap, knock, push, pull, peer and most anything else to assess the quality, or lack thereof, of a unit.

As far as other suggestions in your size range, have you looked into Arctic Fox? Maybe they have something that would be of interest. IMO they look like a nice unit (very few out here - I've seen one used). They don't have a floorplan I like and I don't like their pricing but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like them. Good luck on your search!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #87
JRTJH
Site Team

"make absolutely sure I don't run into a lamination problem after the warranty runs out. I'm pretty spooky of Keystone now after this experience"

As Danny indicated, it happens to every brand that's made with FILON. Remember, Keystone doesn't produce their own FILON, it comes from the same plant in Elkhart that produces it for Forest River, the "other" THOR sites, JAYCO, and most of the "independent brands" that are produced in the northern Indiana RV belt.

So, the actual product that's affected, the FILON, isn't a Keystone product. No matter whose trailer you buy, if it's made in Indiana and has a FILON skin, you're in the same boat as with your Keystone. As for "manufacturers in other locations," well, you're going to face pretty much the same situation, whether it's during the warranty or after. It's not the manufacturer, it's the sealant that keeps the "FILON backside" dry. That's up to the owner, not the manufacturer after the first few months, certainly after the warranty expires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #88
jack65

OK, I won't write off Keystone then. I'll look at all brands and make sure I don't get a trailer that has FILON on the front or anywhere else on it.

Thank you John and Danny for the info, much appreciated. I'll be posting lots of questions as I'm looking as I get such good info here from the members.

We had three offers on our house first weekend it was listed so it looks like we're moving soon. We plan to stay in the new trailer while looking for a home in the country until late fall... when the weather turns, if we haven't found a home we like by then, we'll store the trailer and rent an apartment for a year or two and wait for the housing market to cool off around here. The market is so hot, that houses only last 1-3 days until pending. So, big hit or miss. Might be smart to wait.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #89
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"make absolutely sure I don't run into a lamination problem after the warranty runs out. I'm pretty spooky of Keystone now after this experience"

As Danny indicated, it happens to every brand that's made with FILON. Remember, Keystone doesn't produce their own FILON, it comes from the same plant in Elkhart that produces it for Forest River, the "other" THOR sites, JAYCO, and most of the "independent brands" that are produced in the northern Indiana RV belt.

So, the actual product that's affected, the FILON, isn't a Keystone product. No matter whose trailer you buy, if it's made in Indiana and has a FILON skin, you're in the same boat as with your Keystone. As for "manufacturers in other locations," well, you're going to face pretty much the same situation, whether it's during the warranty or after. It's not the manufacturer, it's the sealant that keeps the "FILON backside" dry. That's up to the owner, not the manufacturer after the first few months, certainly after the warranty expires.
So, can you or anyone else tell me of any trailer brands/makes etc that don't have FILON on it? I want no part of FILON...
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #90
busterbrown

Airstream and Casitas. Most aluminum panel trailers will meet your requirements. All are still at risk for water leaks and intrusion.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #91
JRTJH
Site Team

FILON is a brand name of "thin fiberglass surface" laminated to a backing for support. That backing, in the past, has been hardboard (a paper product) or luan, an imported "cheap" hardwood plywood. Recently, some manufacturers have been using Azdel, a water resistant material, as the backing for the fiberglass sheeting.

Azdel, "at first blush" looks like an improvement over the older backing materials which were damaged by water. So far, Azdel appears to be working well, but just as the Goodyear Endurance tires "look good" and appear to be an improvement over other brands, there's little "long term consumer history" yet. Endurance tires "may" turn out to be the best ST tire yet, but there's no guarantee that there won't be issues arising after 4 or 5 years of public use. It's the same with Azdel as a backing for fiberglass sheeting. We're all hoping it's a success, but the history just isn't there..... yet.....

Something to keep in mind: the actual fiberglass surface is not damaged by water, it's the backing that causes the issues. Keeping water away from the backing will keep the FILON looking good for years. Even with Azdel as a backing, everything under the outer skin is still subject to damage, so the trailer insulation, wiring, frame (if it's wood) will still rot as will the floor if water leaks that far down into the RV. So, whether the fiberglass skin is made with luan, hardboard or Azdel, water damage can still destroy the trailer if it's ignored.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback