Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
Dorrie

Condensation

Good Morning all

Hope some input can help hubby and I. Have a 2015 Montana HC HM293RK.
We have the RV sitting in a CG (is near water, ocean) and try to figure how to get rid of the condensation that is on the Windows in the morning. Days are ranging 50 to 60, nights high 30 to mid 40. Only heat on at night is the portable heater in bedroom now. But when temps hit freezing temps will have one in kitchen. Did put that window plastic that you shrink using the hair dryer only on the Windows next to our recliners and bed (no draft on us). First did not have the bathroom vent and a kitchen window about a crack. So we did that last night and it was worse. Oh also had the ceiling fan on low last night to have air movement. I will be buying couple of the humid dri containers to see if that will help.
So are we missing something or condensation on the window norm being near Water?
Thank you.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
rhagfo

Get a dehumidifier from HD or Lowes. We are on the Pacific coast, and have zero indoor condensation on single pain windows.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidair...&wl13=&veh=sem
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
rhagfo

I might add that we managed to keep our condensation pretty controlled before the dehumidifier by doing the following;
Always run bathroom vent fan while showering.
Always run range hood vent fan when cooking, or heating water. We would place the electric hot pot on the stove top and run fan while heating.
Running gas furnace will not add moisture to inside of trailer, as the combustion is only using outside air, and exhaust to the outside.
Using portable propane heaters inside WILL add moisture to the inside air, and DEPLETE OXYGEN.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As rhagfo said, get a dehumidifier. We are on the coast in FL. The first year or two condensation was an issue and we did all the standard things and we could control it pretty well. Finally bought the dehumidifier (Lowe's, Hisense, 35 pint) and we no longer have any problems. I am constantly amazed how much water comes out of the air. I use it in conjunction with the AC (when we need to run it) to keep the humidity at about 50% and we are comfortable....even though we come from semi arid country!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Dorrie

Thanks all. Think we will invest in a dehumidifier. We use electric portable heaters and use the exhaust fans showering ( but we use the CG bathhouse mostly) and cooking. So for the size of this RV a tabletop dehumidifier be good? That is if there is a tabletop

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know if there is such a thing as a table top unit but I can say that mine would not fit on a table....unless it was very sturdy.

For the size of your trailer I would get nothing smaller than what I have and it's probably 26"Hx14"Wx12"D - just sitting here looking at it guestimating. It sits at the end of our kitchen island. It probably weighs 30-40 lbs. empty (without water - again guestimating).

If I were you I would go online and look at Lowe's or HD and see what they have - and again, I wouldn't go any smaller than the 35 pt. unit I have. Don't know that you need a 70 pint unit nor how big they are. I think I got mine on sale at Lowe's for $140? or so.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Dorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know if there is such a thing as a table top unit but I can say that mine would not fit on a table....unless it was very sturdy.

For the size of your trailer I would get nothing smaller than what I have and it's probably 26"Hx14"Wx12"D - just sitting here looking at it guestimating. It sits at the end of our kitchen island. It probably weighs 30-40 lbs. empty (without water - again guestimating).

If I were you I would go online and look at Lowe's or HD and see what they have - and again, I wouldn't go any smaller than the 35 pt. unit I have. Don't know that you need a 70 pint unit nor how big they are. I think I got mine on sale at Lowe's for $140? or so.
Thank you

Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
CrazyCain

We have 2 jugs of damn rid, 2 electric heaters, have the Bath vent open 1/2 with fan, one fan blowing in front in the bedroom, one fan blowing at the back dining area windows (with one window opened a bit). Zero condensation. When temps are in the single digits, we put up 1/4 inch pink foam insulationboard on the back windows ( inside) to help even more..Brrrrrrrrr

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Hey Crazy... it's Dam"P" Rid, and it's great stuff!!! LOL

As to the problem, there's such a thing as too weather-tite. Every time you exhale you add moisture to the air, and a certain amount of moisture is a good thing, even at home we keep a window cracked to ventilate. If you have moderate humidity, you will feel warmer at lower temp's. Also you will see a difference in static shock and electronics are happier.

Before I spent big buck$ for a dehumidifier, I would try some of the afore mentioned Damp Rid (Wal-Mart) to moderate "Too Much" Humidity. If you only have a little frost on the windows in the a.m., but it clears during the day... well we used to call him "Jack Frost" before all these newfangled inventions!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
kfxgreenie

I would recommend a Frigidaire Dehumidifier if you are going to go the standard route. The Frigidaire Dehu's carry a 5 year warranty on the sealed system, and chances are with these new Chinese Dehu's that do not last worth a darn, you will get a replacement or 2 in that 5 year period.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Hey Crazy... it's Dam"P" Rid, and it's great stuff!!! LOL

As to the problem, there's such a thing as too weather-tite. Every time you exhale you add moisture to the air, and a certain amount of moisture is a good thing, even at home we keep a window cracked to ventilate. If you have moderate humidity, you will feel warmer at lower temp's. Also you will see a difference in static shock and electronics are happier.

Before I spent big buck$ for a dehumidifier, I would try some of the afore mentioned Damp Rid (Wal-Mart) to moderate "Too Much" Humidity. If you only have a little frost on the windows in the a.m., but it clears during the day... well we used to call him "Jack Frost" before all these newfangled inventions!

Good Luck,
LOL, oops on the mis spell.. LOLOL..We are not "too weather tight at all" The foam blocks most of the drafts that pour into the trailer when it gets too cold. Must be doing something right though because the place is around 67 and it is cozy and sleep like babies!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

CrazyCain, maybe your ghosts learned how to use the forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
I would recommend a Frigidaire Dehumidifier if you are going to go the standard route. The Frigidaire Dehu's carry a 5 year warranty on the sealed system, and chances are with these new Chinese Dehu's that do not last worth a darn, you will get a replacement or 2 in that 5 year period.

We've had this one 2 years and it works great. A Frigidaire would probably be OK but I've not had good luck with Frigidaire products. The fridge we bought for our mountain house is the loudest thing I've ever heard.....on the other hand, the dish washer we bought for a different house is the quietest I've ever heard....?? The fridge was the only one available in the size we needed and the dishwasher was the only one without a stainless steel interior so that's what we got.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
bobbecky

The only time we had a severe condensation problem was about four years ago, and it turned out to be from a water leak from around the frame of one of our windows. Once we resolved the leak and dried out the inside, carpet and everything else, no more condensation. We had been north of Kansas City, MO, and had been experiencing a lot of rain and very cold weather, and even with all that, it all dried out after the leak was fixed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Thanks all. Think we will invest in a dehumidifier. We use electric portable heaters and use the exhaust fans showering ( but we use the CG bathhouse mostly) and cooking. So for the size of this RV a tabletop dehumidifier be good? That is if there is a tabletop

We have a 5er about the same size as yours and have a 30 pint GE, we hide it under the kitchen table and it is out of the way and works great.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
CrazyCain, maybe your ghosts learned how to use the forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Starting to wonder that my self Chip!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've had this one 2 years and it works great. A Frigidaire would probably be OK but I've not had good luck with Frigidaire products. The fridge we bought for our mountain house is the loudest thing I've ever heard.....on the other hand, the dish washer we bought for a different house is the quietest I've ever heard....?? The fridge was the only one available in the size we needed and the dishwasher was the only one without a stainless steel interior so that's what we got.
Not sure what style of refrigerator, but if it is one of these new variable speed compressor models, they have a high pitch sound when running that drives some people nuts.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
We have 2 jugs of damn rid, 2 electric heaters, have the Bath vent open 1/2 with fan, one fan blowing in front in the bedroom, one fan blowing at the back dining area windows (with one window opened a bit). Zero condensation. When temps are in the single digits, we put up 1/4 inch pink foam insulationboard on the back windows ( inside) to help even more..Brrrrrrrrr

Not too long before the cost of the Damp Rid would equal the cost of a dehumidifier. That and you don’t want to spill any the liquid in the container on carpet or wood, as it will always be wet.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
Dorrie

Just writing to say the damp rid works great. Did not have to get a de humidifier.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Just writing to say the damp rid works great. Did not have to get a de humidifier.
Thanks for all your help.

YEP, love the stuff. Takes up less room and makes less noise than a dehumidifier.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote