Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
NavyDiver1980

2016 Cougar 337FLS

Looking at a 2016 Cougar 337FLS, anyone else out there have one? Good points or bad points. What are you pulling it with?

Jim, Therese, Gilligan and Ginger (mini-Dachshund)
2015 F-250 CC Lariat 2WD 6.2l gas
Pullrite Superglide Hitch
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI Fifthwheel
NavyDiver1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
larry337

We have a 2015 337FLS. We like it but we don't love it. I'll start off by stating what we were looking for. We are empty nesters so we wanted a living room floorplan, that was a must. However we sometimes have guests on weekend trips. Our daughter, SIL, and 2 small grandchildren. So we had to figure out how to get them a place to sleep. The 337 offered an extra bed and a separate couch, which was adequate for the 2 little ones. We also had to try and stay within our weight constraints with an F250, more on that later. We also wanted to stay in the 30's on price. We can afford more, but we still work and cant justify the money for how often we camp.

So we like it for the what it offers in the price range. We haven't found anything of similar price we would rather have. It accomplishes all of our goals. We bought at Pete's RV for 37,999. Because I do the setup, I absolutely love the auto level system. We also like the remote, the double door 12CF refrigerator, the LED interior lighting, the 50" big screen, Moreryde suspension, slam latch baggage doors, and large tanks.

As for the F250 it was overloaded. It was diesel and it was lacking on payload. I see yours is a gasser so you will gain about 500 lbs of payload. The advertised pin weight is 2200 lbs. I only scaled it once, partially loaded. It did not have food in the fridge or water in the tanks. The pin weight at that time was 2300 lbs. Add aprox 250 lbs for a hitch and you will be maxed out, I was over. Though it was safe enough the rear end was too soft for my liking. My F250 was paid for but I very reluctantly traded it for an F350 dually, which was NOT in my plans. You don't need a dually but it is not my daily driver so I figured go big or go home, and I'm glad I did. The difference is well worth it.

So fast forward a year, I have a bigger truck, and the initial sticker shock of spending almost 40 grand is over and I wish I would have spent 5-10k more for something else. The furniture is awkward to sit on. It's fine for two people as we each take a couch and spread out but when you have to sit up straight it gets uncomfortable. I wish we had some reclining furniture. The slides in this model are not deep in order to keep weight and price down. I wish it had full slides to allow for bigger reclining furniture. Another thing you'll notice with front living room layouts is the basement storage is smaller. I get everything in but I do wish I had more room.

So it does everything we set out to do in our budget I just wish I'd have spent more. If I get a smokin offer from someone I will upgrade to bigger but I won't lose my shirt in the process. We'll make do with it for the limited time we get to use it. I won't tell you what to do but I think its big for your truck. You are at or over your weights in pretty much all categories. This trailer needs a 1 ton SRW at a minimum, preferably a diesel, but that's a personal decision. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. It's parked on my property so it's easy to walk out and take a picture or get a measurement.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
wooby99

Hi, We have the 2014 337FLS. My wife loves it. I liked the Sandpiper/Sierra rear living. Guess who won. No real major issues with it. Had to tighten under sink drain fitting and loose water heater fitting.Tows real nice. I have 08 Ford F350 diesel short bed. I installed a slider hitch, but never used it yet. I have done lots of mods to it. Installed a permanent water filter, led bulbs, lt tires, truck bed coating to front storage area, hall ceiling light on its own switch, different kitchen pull out faucet (one not as high). We have had guests and the pull out bed and sofa were fine for them. We are thinking about installing curtains to pull across front area for more privacy for non family guests. Overall it suits our needs just fine.
2008 Ford F350 6.4 Powerstroke CCSB (533 whp 1008tq)
wooby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Cherden721

Cool 2016 337 fls

We have a new 2016 337 FLS, and I like it but not in love with it.
50" tv is over kill, and can feel the heat from the screen when its on.
Double door frig is overkill, too big for 2 people to use. Looked around and saw bad stapling with the wood in the kitchen. But oh well.

All new Maxxis tires after 600 miles due to a blow out. Feel a little safer.
Now have 2 spares and EEZ TPSM, don't want to go through that again!

But one of the biggest faults is the stove & frig will not work on LP when the slide is in, so no gas getting through. Works on shore power when slide is out. Lost all food on last trip.
So today its in the shop, been there a week, trying to find the pinched line.

We have a 2015 F-250 diesel which seems to do fine. Its never overloaded, we don't carry water, only enough clothes for a week. No toys.

Things I really like are , lots of storage, I have cabinets I will never use. Bath is bigger than we were used too with storage, and I can make the bed without making my knuckles bleed. And let us not forget the power jacks!
Cherden721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
rock-rocker

We too have a 2016 337FLS. We picked this model because of the front living room and we wanted the ability to have company and be comfortable on those lousy rainy/cold days. We are not full-timers but it seems bad weather follows us.
- We really like the layout. The 50" TV just gives you bragging rights. It is a bit of an overkill.
- The ***-end on this thing is looooong. I have dragged it numerous times and ripped the spare tire clean off. I modified a bracket and raised the spare up mostly out of the way so it doesn't drag anymore. Also I welded rollers on the bumper to assist with the dragging. I don't even think about pulling out the storage rack in the bumper so that is a waste. I cant even imagine what little bump I would be dragging on if I did that.
- The 15,000 BTU doesn't come near to keeping the unit cool unless it's completely in the shade. I had to seal all the roof vents, ducting, etc with aluminum tape otherwise the cool air wasn't going where it was supposed to go. It helped but not enough. Definitely get the 2nd AC!!!!! We have camped in the direct sunlight and the walls get so hot you can barely touch them. We had sunny day in CA (unheard of) with the temp outside of 105. Inside temp with the 15k AC running since the morning and it was 104. Miserable!!!
- We are large people and the doors going to the bathroom and bedroom we need to go through sideways. Not a problem but just different.
- We have the free standing dinette and are supposed to lash the chairs down in the living room when in motion. That got to be a pain so I got some longer straps and made padding from pipe insulation and just lash them to the table with the padding between the touch points. Seems to work fine.
- One of the first things I changed out was the electric roof fan in the bathroom. It was too small and with the ceiling being so high I could barely reach the controls while on my tippy toes. The DW couldn't reach them at all. Replaced it with a remote control unit.
- Carry a step stool. The Lower Unit of the AC (part on the ceiling) in the kitchen you can't reach unless standing on something. Also the cabinets above the dinette you can't reach without standing on something. We store our paper products stuff in them, something we don't need to get at too often.
- The double door fridge is nice. We take enough food to feed an army. The fridge vent outside comes with 2 fans installed on temp control and the fridge works real well on hot days. I was hesitant to buy another RV with the fridge in the slide because of the lack of adequate venting.
- Really like the tinted window throughout.
- The sink faucet is nice except when you have the lever in the hot position every time I walk past the darn thing I hit it with my arm and it turns the water on.
- I installed more wall hooks in the front compartment where the batteries are. This way I can hang hoses and wires used for my hookups.
- We like the LED's installed through out. Uses less energy and are bright.
- I too had the water leak at the kitchen sink drains. Just had to tighten them up and they sealed.
- I had to fix a roof taping issue on the bedroom slide out. They put like an Eternabond Tape on the slide out seem where the outer wall and roof meet. It had bunched up and moved the tape away from the seem and mounting screws. Bought the tape on Amazon and fixed it myself.
- The LPG quick connect fitting/piping for connecting a BBQ, etc was so
short and so far under the 5er I had to get on my hands and knees to hook anything up to it. I extended so it could be reached easily but still out of harms way.
- Have slide toppers installed. With 4 slide outs there is allot of area to catch debris and you don't want to mess your slide out seals up.
- We like the outside storage compartment in the bedroom slide out. Comes in handy.
- The fireplace is pretty cool. Or should I say hot. It's nice on those cool nights, adds ambiance and prevents the heater from coming on so often.
- Plenty of counter space in the kitchen. Major for the DW.
- I made and installed an additional shelf in the pantry along with some puck lights. The hardest part was matching up the stain but having an additional shelf is nice (DW's idea).
- We are going to install a paper shade on the window above the fridge. Something easy and light weight. On hot sunny days the heat coming through that window is pretty toasty.
- The way the dinette table moves in and out along with the flip up leaf is real nice. Large people have no problem sitting around the table.
- We like the roll-up shades on the windows. We have had the pleated ones many-a-time over and have had problems with them. The roll-up are easy and simple to change.
- Someone had mentioned they were filling the Fresh Water Tank and it was coming out as fast as it was going in. I too had the same problem. Yep, the cap was missing. I installed valves and caps on the Tank and Drain Points of the Fresh Water System. The valves weren't exactly cheap so I can see they don't do it from a nickel/dime point-of-view.
- I swapped the position of the slide out switches on the main panel. I put them in the position in relationship to the slide out. Makes it easier to know which switch is for where. I know, it's the OCD kicking in.
- Don't step on the floor vent with your heel. Mine are all bent and deformed and we try hard not to step on them.
- I like the little cubbies in the front storage pass thru. Unfortunately you have to move everything stored on top to open them. Good idea to store the little stuff not used much like a spare slide out cable or tools.

WOW, I guess I got a little lengthy here. I hope this info helps some people but does not discourage from getting this model. We have enjoyed using it and always get compliments from everyone who has seen this floor plan. I have a 2015 RAM 2500 which seems to pull it just fine. My next 2 projects are to install the slide out toppers and replace the Pin Box with possibly a MOR/RYDE or similar to prevent some of the chucking known so well with 5er's. Happy Camping...
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
wdjankowski

is your sofa in the living room have a hide a bed (tri fold sofa)? I have a 2014 model and trying to find a part number to change out the sofa to a tri fold. My 2014 came with a air mattress that fits partially on top of the sofa. Its a real inconvenience. Thanks for any help you can send.
wdjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar 337fls