Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
ousooner

Storage compartment divider

Just took delivery of a new 2020 Laredo 298SRL 5th wheel. There is no wall separating the front storage compartment from the pass through storage area. It is all one large space. The front storage area isn't really sealed with large gaps around the landing jacks that extend through the floor as well as large open area where the back of the propane tanks sit next to this space. No way will this pass through storage be weather proof. Is this normal? I plan to address this with my dealer but I just want to know if this is common for this model.
ousooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

My trailer ( in sig) has one large open area for the basement/pass through. Its a product of how the unit was designed. There are large gaps where the landing gear passes through and that gap is normal. The Propane tanks are in a sealed compartment but probably wide open at the bottom? That's as designed to allow any leaking propane to exit since it is heavier than air. I have yet to have any weather related issues.

You could seal the jacks with expanding foam if you want, it wont hurt anything, I leave mine open because my batteries are in the front and I use that gap to run my power cord for my satellite dish.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
WNY Bullet

Looking at walk through videos of your model and there is no divider wall between the front storage area and the pass though.

Didn't you do a tour of one before you bought it or a walk through at the dealer before taking possession?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner View Post
Just took delivery of a new 2020 Laredo 298SRL 5th wheel. There is no wall separating the front storage compartment from the pass through storage area. It is all one large space. The front storage area isn't really sealed with large gaps around the landing jacks that extend through the floor as well as large open area where the back of the propane tanks sit next to this space. No way will this pass through storage be weather proof. Is this normal? I plan to address this with my dealer but I just want to know if this is common for this model.
Mine is the same, no evidence of water / dirt intrusion.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Mine is the same way, which I like. It opens things up, let's in more light, and easier to utilize the space. I sealer around the legs with short pieces of metal foil duct tape. As stated above the propane area is properly vented at the bottom of the compartment, which is separate from the storage areas. The propane locker has no locks to allow fire department access in an emergency.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Around here, any spaces around the landing gear jacks is an "open invitation" for any field mouse looking for a winter home. I sealed all the spaces in mine with expanding foam. The passthrough and front storage are "one big space" and I find that it works well for us with some of the things we want to carry "spilling over" from one space to the other. If there was a wall between them, I'd not be able to carry many of the things we want with us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage