Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 AM   #1
BrentB

Attack of the Blob!

I know there are many threads about how to sanitize tanks, and I have done that, but I still have a problem. While using my water pump, water would flow ok for a while, then slow to a trickle and stay there. I finally discovered that the pump filter was clogged with algae. I cleaned the filter, but the same thing happened again, so I decided to take a look in the tank and the result is what you see in the photo.

This gunk is not fazed by bleach, even at 200 ppm, and is too big to drain through the tiny 3/8 inch drain hole. I would love to scrape and scrub the inside of the tank to get rid of it, but of course the problem is gaining access. My first thought was some kind of access port, but I am having difficulty finding something that I think would work.

I found this, but it seems too small: https://www.marinesan.com/Holding-Ta.../307238685.htm

I found this, but it seems too large: http://www.hendersons.co.uk/boattank/Tank-access.html

And I’m not sure if either will withstand the pressure of being submerged. (There is no access to the tank from above.)

I also thought of installing a larger drain fitting, hoping that the gunk will drain out, but I see that the spin weld fittings require a router, not a drill, and I don’t want to buy one of those. The only access to the tank is from the bottom or one end and the tank is about 4-5 feet long.

I just ran across this, not sure if it would work to build a larger drain: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=89951

I really want to clean the gunk out without removing the tank as that is not easy to do.

Does anyone have any other solutions that I haven’t thought of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algae.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	21238  
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
Carrottop

If you have access to where the water fill tube attaches to the water tank you could detach it and insert a black tank sprayer that attaches to a garden hose allowing you to move it around. You could then drain the refinements from the low point drain. You may have already tried this but it is what came to mind.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
vampress_me

Is the stuff gooey? Is it flexible at all? My first thought was to fashion an adapter with flexible plastic tubing to a wet dry vac. I don’t have our camper here to look, but isn’t the water line going into the tank 1/2” diameter? If you can get to it, remove that PEX (or maybe just from the water pump end) thread the flexible tubing through that hole and see how much algae you can get out by vacuuming? Use some water also to try to help get it out since it won’t hurt a wet dry vac. The adapters I’m thinking about are similar to this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-...upling/3281146

but I know there are some made for the smaller diameter tubing in Menards, Lowe’s, etc. And you may have to do a couple steps down to the 1/2” diameter too. Sorry if it’s a dumb idea, but it’s one I’ve used for getting “ick” out of other enclosed areas I can’t get my hand into.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

BrentB,

Your profile doesn't include the type/model/brand of RV you have, so this is a "shot in the dark" assuming you have a RV with a gravity fill fresh water system. If so, somewhere, inside a cabinet or under a bunk or seat you'll find a 1.25" fill hose. That hose is "clamped to a fitting on/near the top of the fresh water tank. If you can access that clamp, loosen it, remove the hose and you can insert a 1/2" pipe into the tank. If you use a piece of 1/2" PVC or PEX tubing, "taped/fitted/jury-rigged" to a wet/dry vac, you can fill the fresh water tank partially full and then vacuum the contents out, removing all of the debris.

For everyone who has a fresh water tank (whether they use it or not), without a good "cleaning/sanitizing" on a regular basis, this is what can happen. Even if you don't use your fresh water system, maintaining it properly will eliminate problems in the future, should your camping style change or should the "next owner" want to use the water system. It's a good idea to keep the entire water system clean and operational with regular maintenance/sanitizing, even if you don't currently have plans to use it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
BrentB

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought the trailer used several years ago, so I don't know how it was maintained before, but I have bleached it several times a year since I owned it, but obviously the stuff is still there. We don't drink the water, but do use it for everything else, including washing fruits, vegetables, dishes, and hands. No ill effects so far, but would really love to get it out of there. May try the vac idea, as I can get to the 1 1/4 inch inlet.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I bought the trailer used several years ago, so I don't know how it was maintained before, but I have bleached it several times a year since I owned it, but obviously the stuff is still there. We don't drink the water, but do use it for everything else, including washing fruits, vegetables, dishes, and hands. No ill effects so far, but would really love to get it out of there. May try the vac idea, as I can get to the 1 1/4 inch inlet.
Kind of a shot in the dark but how about that stuff one has to take before a colonoscopy. Sure does a good job of liquefying!:

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Kind of a shot in the dark but how about that stuff one has to take before a colonoscopy. Sure does a good job of liquefying!:
Now, Joe, how are you going to get the tank to swallow MiraLax and Ducolax ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Now, Joe, how are you going to get the tank to swallow MiraLax and Ducolax ???
You are right John. It's hard enough to get a human to swallow that stuff.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote