Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
cookinwitdiesel

Antenna mast and other hardware on A frame of travel trailer

I have a travel trailer and want to figure out where I can best mount an antenna mast for a WiFi booster as well as an antenna for my backup camera. I have wire to send the backup camera antenna to the front of the trailer but need to figure out how to best mount it. I need to do this since the aluminum body of my trailer will make the camera useless if I leave its antenna at the back of the trailer with the camera. Ideally, I would be able to do this without making any holes in the roof or body of the RV for mounting stuff.

The thought occurred to me, the A-frame is exposed and should be pretty easy to attach stuff to where there is space. Figured I would ping the community here and see if anyone has done anything similar or had other ideas.

Thanks!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What do you mean by the aluminum body?

My camera works fine from the back to the receiver in the trick without issue. My Impact has aluminum framing.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
notanlines

Cookin, if you click on this link it will give you info on a product that will do just what you are asking. It is a material that is designed to caulk large joints between concrete panels in warehouse structures. If you contact a commercial building supply house (not HD or Menards, etc) they will be able to sell a couple tubes to you in varying colors. It may not be this specific brand, but this is one of the best.
file:///C:/Users/Jim%20and%20Brenda/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/IGWO6GKK/Pecora_Tilt-Seal_Brochure.pdf
You would simply clean and lightly sand your small roof surface, apply the sufficient amount of mastic and place the antenna base in it, and let it sit for approximately seven days.
Yes, this material can easily be used on a sloped surface. It is very heavy bodied and will run under no circumstances.
Probably in the $7.00 per tube range. Standard caulking gun is necessary.
This is one company: http://www.metrosealant.com/Locations
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
cookinwitdiesel

The sides and front of my trailer are aluminum sheet metal. Very unhelpful for RF signals. Given the amount of electrical noise already when moving at highway speeds around other vehicles, I just want to give myself the greatest chances for success. Also, I need a solution for the WiFi booster anyways so this could be an easy twofer.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Ok, thanks for the update. Youd just need to make sure that it is very solidly attached at the base. It will catch a lot of wind and accumulate a lot of stress while traveling.

Please be sure to post your plans and progress. It should be an interesting project.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
cookinwitdiesel

No progress yet but as I have gotten more comfortable messing around with stuff on the trailer, the thought occurred to me, I can possibly run the antenna wire for the backup camera down the back and under the trailer, mounted against the trailer frame, and have it just stubbed up near the tongue jack. May be simpler, more durable, etc. Then I do not have to figure out how to mount and support the wire down the length of the roof and mess with anything roof related any more than necessary.

Tags
antenna, travel trailer