Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #21
Acaines

All input is being taken and has been beneficial. I know some people ask questions with the goal of affirmation, not information. The rub in this thread has centered around money... I mentioned the money bit in my OP because I'm wading through an endless list of things that need to be purchased before we start taking our TT on the road. When I ask questions on the basis of price I prefer answers from those who have no financial stake in my decision. I've seen where if a manufacturer stamps "for RV use" on his product the price doubles at least. As I said earlier, I'm trying to separate the genuine article from the gimmick.

You all have, in this case, shown me that actual lap sealant is the genuine article. I hadn't even heard the term lap sealant until I opened this thread. *edit* I had seen the term lap sealant but it didn't register with me until I opened this thread.

Another example of not skimping is in my search for a weight distribution hitch. I've looked at many online and on the store shelf. Wide range of prices. Of course I can get something with the specs I'm looking for for >$200 online but that requires me to depend on a photo. I found a setup at a local dealer that I could see and handle. He showed me all the parts that was included in the price. I could see by the construction of the bars in particular that this was a beefy hitch. It is $150 more than the online special and $75 more than the boxed up special at another retailer. I'm going with the dealer's hitch hopefully this weekend.
Acaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

"The rub in this thread has centered around money... I mentioned the money bit in my OP because I'm wading through an endless list of things that need to be purchased before we start taking our TT on the road. When I ask questions on the basis of price I prefer answers from those who have no financial stake in my decision. "

I think from reading your OP money was emphasized as the major reason for the question. I also think the responses were appropriate and no one here could possibly have a financial stake like they would at a dealership or supply store. You are doing the prudent thing by asking questions and conducting research. Good luck on your new ventures.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #23
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
Thank you for the responses... because of some of your answers, I was able to do some better research and indeed, I found that silicon caulk is not a good seal for exterior applications because it does not hold as well and it needs to be cleaned up if successive layers of sealant are needed.

Please remember I am new to this game and I will ask what seem to some to be silly questions but I ask because the information I get enables me to avoid mistakes and/or do better research into the issue I am looking into. As for trying to save money, I am trying to sort out what I genuinely need to spend money on without pouring money down the drain on some gimmick. Thank you.
There are no dumb questions when asking for help. My experience is that RVer's are more than happy to help. I learned a lot from other experienced RVer's when we started traveling.
I can tell you from experience, household caulks don't work well enough on RV's. The Dicor sealants were specifically designed to handle all the movement that takes place with RV's.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
CanalesPac

I’ve read this thread and I’m understand that I’d buy TPO membrane-specific Lap sealant for the roof, but I’m now curious what we should be using around the perimeter (exterior) and inside of our rig. The dealer fixed some things in the PDI and used the term “silicone” when referring to the areas (for example) around the entry door and for all the interior fixes around the shower and sinks. Should these be different sealants than silicone? Please give me specific recommendations of what you’d use for a 2018 Montana High Country for these applications.
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #25
TwidgitCPO

I've seen a lot of talk about the roof areas and the sealants required, but what about the trim down towards ground level? It looks like they used a clear silicone caulk to seal up the trim pieces. So, the question is, what do I use for this type of sealing?
TwidgitCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #26
daveinaz

This Geocel stuff is the best. It's a little expensive, but it is very nice to work with. I used it for sealing things on the side of the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28101V...ateway&sr=8-11
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwidgitCPO View Post
I've seen a lot of talk about the roof areas and the sealants required, but what about the trim down towards ground level? It looks like they used a clear silicone caulk to seal up the trim pieces. So, the question is, what do I use for this type of sealing?
Don't use clear silicone. Once applied and cured, nothing (not even more silicone) will stick to it so you're setting yourself up for LOTS of work cleaning the old stuff off if you ever need to replace it....

Instead of silicone, use a polyurethane sealant like Sika Flex or GeoCel Proflex. Both come in colors and in clear, so you have a choice of what color to use depending on the application. I think you'll find it's not "that much more expensive" ($8-$10 a tube) and it will stick to itself if you ever need to apply a touchup to the existing sealant beads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

I would use proflex before I used SikaFlex. We use SikaFlex as an adhesive behind the topper brackets...not easy to remove.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote