Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
BamaRam

Space between tires?

After I got X-chocks I discovered that the space between tires on each side is not the same. One side is closer together by about 3/4”. All tires inflated to same pressure and the wheel bearing are new. (New trailer)

I my simple mind, that means the axles aren’t tracking with each other.

I’ve been having problems with the trailer wanted to wiggle going down hill, even after numerous hitch adjustments. If I slow down to around 50mph all is well.

Could axle alignment contribute to the down hill wiggle?
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
notanlines

Bama, if the distance isn’t almost exact then there is trouble in paradise. That needs to be repaired pronto!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
After I got X-chocks I discovered that the space between tires on each side is not the same. One side is closer together by about 3/4”. All tires inflated to same pressure and the wheel bearing are new. (New trailer)

I my simple mind, that means the axles aren’t tracking with each other.

I’ve been having problems with the trailer wanted to wiggle going down hill, even after numerous hitch adjustments. If I slow down to around 50mph all is well.

Could axle alignment contribute to the down hill wiggle?
Had you pulled or backed in a straight line when doing the comparison? If the trailer is jacked into a site, then the measurements will be different.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
pikespeakviewer

When our tire spacing wasn't the same, it was b/c our rear axle was bent. Hope that's not your case!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Had you pulled or backed in a straight line when doing the comparison? If the trailer is jacked into a site, then the measurements will be different.
I’ll have to double check when it’s on level pavement and hooked up to to the truck. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
BamaRam

If I were on a better surface I would get under there and make some measurements. But m parked on a granite rock lot and it’s not conducive to crawling around under there. Oh my knees!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When you do get the trailer on a firm, level surface several things need to be considered:

1. Be sure the trailer is straight behind the tow vehicle and that you pull forward and back a few times to "unload" any stress from backing into the spot.

2. Be sure the tires are the same pressure, same size and same brand. Better yet, do not measure from "tire to tire" but remove the tires and/or measure from one specific location on the axle to the same location on the other axle. Tires can vary in size based on a number of factors. Axles should not vary, so you'll get a better measurement using a location on the steel axle or hub rather than the rubber tire.

3. Not all axles are "exactly equal" side to side. Just like the front end of a vehicle, fine tuning the front alignment may mean that one side is slightly different than the other. In fact, most vehicles are different, so to compensate for frame construction tolerances, the axles may be slightly "misaligned side to side" to compensate for the variances which can cause them to not be identical on each side.

Even if the trailer is jacked into the air, perfectly aligned and tires installed, once the trailer is returned to the ground, any weight difference at any wheel position can change the arc of the axle and may change the measurement. That's why alignment of the axles should be done with the trailer "loaded" rather than relying on the factory measurements used to construct the "empty frame" prior to trailer build.

So, measuring the space between the two tires on each side is, at best, a WAG at trailer alignment. There's many factors to consider before assuming that the axles are misaligned.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, measuring the space between the two tires on each side is, at best, a WAG at trailer alignment. There's many factors to consider before assuming that the axles are misaligned.
Thanks for filling me in!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
roadglide

I use a bolt chocks I made that work excellent. If I start pushing the tires out it will bring the other side in , weather the x block has the force to spread tires out I don't know. For every action there is a reaction .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires