Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

My quest to cool my RV

We have a 19 year old 2.5 lb chihuahua that is blind. Of course, she has to go on us when we camp as my missus won't let a dog sitter be entrusted with Pippie's care. I will never try and make my wife choose between me and Pippie as I am afraid I would be full timing up in our trailer when parked out on the property!

Anyhow, we have to camp within a hundred miles of our home right now as Pippie isn't a great traveler. In the summer, we see triple digit temps and little shade. My 2002 Cougar 278EFS A/C worked fine except in triple digits and direct sun and then the insides WERE hot. Had to fix that.

Step one. Replaced non adjustable vents. While I was up there I put the styrofoam stuff at vent ends to block cold air from traveling into the ceiling void. Helped some.

Step two. Got some foil tape and taped void between vent and duct; it was done poorly from the factory. Helped some.

Step three. Cleaned A/C fins up top and cleaned down below. No difference as it wasn't bad.

Went camping and it was still miserable; could hardly get temps in cabin below 82-83 degrees in direct sun

Step four - Went to Best Buy and bought an 8K BTU portable A/C (still at camp ground). It helped some and we could just get cabin temps under 80F but it was now endurable.

Step five - Got home and bought a Dometic Brisk II 15K BTU it works better; can get temps in the high 70s in direct sun/triple digits. Haven't used the portable in conjunction with the new A/C but will haul it with us... just in case next weekend where temps are going to be triple digit again and no shade.

Step six - Spent the weekend putting adhesive 20 percent film on the windows. This is supposed to only allow 20 percent of the light and UV and thus, the temps that result from heat transfer through the windows. I bought a 50' roll on eBay and a set of install tools from Amazon. Cost about $75 total.

We shall see after camping next week on the Nueces River in Camp Wood Texas (spot of the original Garden of Eden I think). I had also changed out the skylight in the bath from clear to smoke colored and not sure if that will help and if not will have to figure out what to do there as that skylight becomes a real source of heat during direct sun. We also have a desk top oscillating fan that helps; had a tower fan but it died.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
stolly23

step 2: exactly what area was that that you taped. Is that the space between the bottom of the duct and the top of the ceiling in the vent opening?

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
cvin

it makes it dark in the bathroom but my skylight in there was super hot

i cut a piece of the silver reflectix stuff and put that on the inside up against the dome , then some insulation in the middle
and one of those rv door window silver covers velcroed to the square bottom of the skylight

on mine the rv door window cover fits perfect
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
step 2: exactly what area was that that you taped. Is that the space between the bottom of the duct and the top of the ceiling in the vent opening?

There is a void between vent and air duct; I tore off 4" strips of HVAC foil tape and covered this gap by placing one end on the ceiling in the area where the outer ring on the vent covers up over the edge of the vent; did this all the way around then installed inner part of vent. Now no air leaking into void.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
it makes it dark in the bathroom but my skylight in there was super hot

i cut a piece of the silver reflectix stuff and put that on the inside up against the dome , then some insulation in the middle
and one of those rv door window silver covers velcroed to the square bottom of the skylight

on mine the rv door window cover fits perfect

I had some roof damage and installed a new roof (RV-Armor) and prior to the install, replaced the skylight with a smoke colored piece made of heavy lexan. Not sure how this guy will work in direct sun. Will keep your suggestion in mind if the skylight still warms the small bath area. I was kind of nervous about putting anything inside the skylight that reflects a lot of heat back at the skylight; thought it might be too hot and perhaps melt.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
cvin

I should add my trailer is in northern az for the summer so not as hot , you might have a point about the melting