Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
MRBDDB

Kitchen sink draining into black tank??

We purchased a 2009 Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ this past spring from a private owner. What little did we know but we have a cracked grey water and black water tank. We believe it was not winterized last year. We are on a permanent privately owned lot on a lake and hooked up into a well but not septic so we do use the grey and black tanks. We first noticed the grey tank leaking like a faucet from the underbelly when we would shower. So my husband buried a hose to run the grey water out on the ground from the shower. That fixed that problem. The issue is however is that when I wash dishes in the kitchen sink, especially if I fill up the sink we will have a secondary leak at another spot from the underbelly and it will smell like sewer?? This was puzzling to us because if you flush the toilets no leaks, only from the kitchen sink will it leak (aside from the shower) and that leak from the sink smells like black water. Well last weekend our kitchen sink overflowed and our 2nd bathroom toilet meaning the tank was full. However our master bath toilet was fine and not full. It is remotely possible our kitchen sink water is plumbed to drain into the 2nd bathroom black water tank? We are truly baffled by this.
MRBDDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBDDB View Post
is remotely possible our kitchen sink water is plumbed to drain into the 2nd bathroom black water tank?
Per other threads I've read similar to your's it has been confirmed that some galley sinks do get plumbed into black tanks.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
huhhhhh

After my first trip since purchasing I just confirmed my 2012 Fuzion is plumbed this way. The 2nd bathroom toilet seemed to fill up way to quick. I confirmed earlier in the year that the valve on the frame under the slide marked Black was connected to the 2nd bathroom sink and kitchen sink by running water down them to find out where it came out. Didn't put any water through the toilet because I was in the driveway and didn't want any of that coming out.

After hitting a dump station and pulling that valve confirmed that the black tank for the 2nd bathroom is the same tank the kitchen sink uses. I'm highly disappointed in this and thought it wasn't legal to have a black tank using the same tank as the kitchen sink.

The under belly is coming off next summer to see if there is room to put in a separate black tank for the 2nd toilet.

Shame on you Keystone, can't say i'll recommend or ever buy another one of your trailers.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhhhh View Post
After my first trip since purchasing I just confirmed my 2012 Fuzion is plumbed this way. The 2nd bathroom toilet seemed to fill up way to quick. I confirmed earlier in the year that the valve on the frame under the slide marked Black was connected to the 2nd bathroom sink and kitchen sink by running water down them to find out where it came out. Didn't put any water through the toilet because I was in the driveway and didn't want any of that coming out.

After hitting a dump station and pulling that valve confirmed that the black tank for the 2nd bathroom is the same tank the kitchen sink uses. I'm highly disappointed in this and thought it wasn't legal to have a black tank using the same tank as the kitchen sink.

The under belly is coming off next summer to see if there is room to put in a separate black tank for the 2nd toilet.

:censored:: censored:
Shame on you Keystone, can't say i'll recommend or ever buy another one of your trailers.

I can't see this as a Keystone problem. When buying a trailer of any size, knowing all the complexities involved, it is inconceivable to me that one would not know 1)how many tanks, 2) what tanks did what and 3) where they are......but that's just me. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
bobbecky

With decomposing food particles and fat, your galley tank will smell almost as bad as the black tank, so it really sounds like you not only have a leaking grey tank but also might have a leaking galley tank. If nothing appears to be leaking from toilet flushing, your black tank is probably just fine.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
huhhhhh

I can look down into the tank from the 2nd toilet hole while someone is pouring water down the kitchen sink and can see the water going into the same tank. There is no leaking issue, both are using the same tank. The kitchen sink sees the most use with washing dishes and such and is what caused the 2nd toilet to prematurely fill up. 4 guys on a 9 day hunting trip and that tank was done in 5 days. I'm thinking Keystone stuck one 43 gal tank in there and plumbed both to it. On similar 2 toilet units I've heard the kitchen has it's own 43 gal tank as well as the 2nd toilet. Pretty sure I wouldn't have had a problem if mine was like this.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, sink, tank