Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
GBHRPS

Stove Igniter Knob Fix

Some will say I'm cheap (Scottish heritage), others (work with me here) will say I have too much time on my hands.

Anyway, the igniter knob on the Maytag Magic Chef stove turns and turns but doesn't grab the shaft of the igniter to create the spark needed for the burners.

None of the RV places here have the knob in stock, and would have to order a new one. Yeah, we're not talking big money for a replacement, but I like a challenge.

Having some fibreglass autobody filler in the shop, I figured I could take the flex out of the innerds of the knob and get it to grab as it should. First I located a drill bit that had a shaft the same size as the knob required, and inserted its shaft into the knob, with the drill bit end sticking out. I covered the outside of the knob with masking tape to make cleanup easy. I then mixed up some body filler and spooned it into the hollow sections of the knob right up to the top and all around the drill bit, and let it set up for 20 minutes or so.

You then pull out the drill bit and sand the excess body filler down flush with the bottom of the knob. Then use a small rat tail file to add the gripper grooves to the four sides of the shaft opening that match the igniter shaft. Allow the filler to cure overnight and install the next day. So if anyone else is so inclined (cheap) have at it.

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Firecapt

Don't blame you a bit!! Sometimes, if I have the time, I love a challenge and the satisfaction I get from fixing the original rather than buying new.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote