Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
JBCayman

Ramp Door Leaking

Hi All-

New rv ....and now noticing small leak at top of ramp door. Any suggestions until we get it to an authorized dealer to fix the 15 other warrantied items?

Its a very light trickle. It appears to me that the seal at the top or rather the top part of the door does not seal tightly.

Anything temporary I can do to bandaid it until the shop?

PS: Its raining and cold out- ....currently in Rapid City and here for another 5 days.
JBCayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Well, not sure how to fix your seal but I would not mind if you sent us some of the rain and cold. You might want to head to a hardware and buy some self stick foam insulation and shut the ramp up on it. Put it right over what you have now I guess. If you don't need to use the ramp, run a strip of Gorilla brand duct tape over the seam on the outside or put some plastic sheeting over the leaking seal and duct tape it to stay in place.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
roadglide

I have a patio ramp door that leeks at the top I use a ratchet strap on each hook to pull the door tight from bed rails.There is a latch inside With double nut for tightening hook.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I have a patio ramp door that leeks at the top I use a ratchet strap on each hook to pull the door tight from bed rails.There is a latch inside With double nut for tightening hook.

That probably looks a little better than the duct tape! Thanks. Can't you use a bigger or thicker seal? I had a toy hauler (Forest River) a few years ago and can't recall how it seals at all. Mine never leaked.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
That probably looks a little better than the duct tape! Thanks. Can't you use a bigger or thicker seal? I had a toy hauler (Forest River) a few years ago and can't recall how it seals at all. Mine never leaked.
My old fleet wood door had a barlatch on each side . The keystone had the latch 3/4 the way up on each side of the door seems to be cheaper flimsier then my 07 fleetwood.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
twvette

If you have rear awning, mine was actually causing it to leak down the ramp door as it drained into the awning assembly and through some of the mounting holes if I recall correctly.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
bubbubouy

Mine did the same thing. 1/4 tube of silicone sealer on the awning housing cured the problem.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
It’s a lot cheaper then replacing a warped ramp door used hundreds of times and pulled over 40 Thousand miles .
Old 09-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #9
chunker

My comment is make sure the door closes properly. On the current Raptor when I close the ramp I need to make sure that another door is open so that the ramp fully closes. Otherwise it's trying to compress all the air in the RV and resists closing. 1st time I towed it went through some rain and when I got to my destination the upped left side had leaked in some and water was on the "3 season door" I checked the ramp and the left latch was loose. It took a few times and experimenting but I finally figured out that the ramp closes securely if I open the rear entrance door a bit. Personally I'm not a fan of the current "new and improved ramp latching" and wish I had the older side exterior latched. Maybe something I can add later to make sure the door is fully closed and sealed.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
My comment is make sure the door closes properly. On the current Raptor when I close the ramp I need to make sure that another door is open so that the ramp fully closes. Otherwise it's trying to compress all the air in the RV and resists closing. 1st time I towed it went through some rain and when I got to my destination the upped left side had leaked in some and water was on the "3 season door" I checked the ramp and the left latch was loose. It took a few times and experimenting but I finally figured out that the ramp closes securely if I open the rear entrance door a bit. Personally I'm not a fan of the current "new and improved ramp latching" and wish I had the older side exterior latched. Maybe something I can add later to make sure the door is fully closed and sealed.
We have not had any leak issues. As Chunker points out, are you sure you are getting the ramp fully closed/latched? I agree with his comments on closing the ramp with the newer electronic latches - needs to be "closed with authority" (e.g. one step below an aggressive slam) and you need to have another door or window open to get it properly latched. After closing, grab the handles on each side and try to move the ramp - if you can feel any movement, the latch is not fully seated in the closed position. Slam it harder!

Personally, I like the newer latches because I can open the door from the inside, hold the cables and let the "party deck" down, set up the railing and sliding doors, all without going outside. Makes it great for morning coffee.!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We have not had any leak issues. As Chunker points out, are you sure you are getting the ramp fully closed/latched? I agree with his comments on closing the ramp with the newer electronic latches - needs to be "closed with authority" (e.g. one step below an aggressive slam) and you need to have another door or window open to get it properly latched. After closing, grab the handles on each side and try to move the ramp - if you can feel any movement, the latch is not fully seated in the closed position. Slam it harder!

Personally, I like the newer latches because I can open the door from the inside, hold the cables and let the "party deck" down, set up the railing and sliding doors, all without going outside. Makes it great for morning coffee.!
Big difference for me is mine is a garage not party deck but yes I agree it's nice to be able to open the ramp from the inside. I may add a pull rope to close it that way too but in the meantime just as you suggested, give both sides a pull.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak