Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
Apperman

Hideout 28rks

2019 Keystone Hideout has 2 cable coax connections: one at the back (kitchen) end of the unit and the other next to the exterior 120v recep (door side). Neither one will get a signal to my DirecTV receiver. Pretty disappointed that here in the 21st century I’m having to run coax cable through a window as in the days of yore. Any suggestions or Tech Tips appreciated!
Apperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have KeyTV?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Texas Steve

If you have the antenna booster on (LED lit) you won't get CATV signal. The cable in on my Hideout is at the rear of the trailer (like yours) and all other outlets feed off that source for CATV. The antenna booster needs to be off. A channel scan on the tv for cable will be required.

If you use the roof top antenna, the booster must be on (LED is lit) and scan each tv again in the OTA (over the air) mode for channels.

Sorry, I don't have Direct TV in my TT, but I believe that I read on this forum that satellite signals don't like the splitters in the TT wiring and do not work with out running a separate line directly to the receiver. You can search for satellite on the forum.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apperman View Post
2019 Keystone Hideout has 2 cable coax connections: one at the back (kitchen) end of the unit and the other next to the exterior 120v recep (door side). Neither one will get a signal to my DirecTV receiver. Pretty disappointed that here in the 21st century I’m having to run coax cable through a window as in the days of yore. Any suggestions or Tech Tips appreciated!
These units are assembled in Amish country, what the hell do they know about television or electricity.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Apperman

No, no Key TV
Old 07-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
Apperman

I hadn’t thought of it in those terms! 🤣
Old 07-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Satellite TV (Direct-TV or Dish-TV) will not work from your satellite dish or Tailgater to the receiver if it passes through the power booster, even if the power booster is turned off. It has to be a direct dedicated connection from the antenna to the receiver. Three different campers, and they were all the same.

The last travel trailer I had had a separate jack to connect the coax from the antenna to the camper. Then another wire from the jack inside the camper to the receiver. Then the wires from the receiver to the television. Newer receivers don't use coax to the television any more, it seems, and the RCA connections (Red, White, Yellow) cable jacks are non-existent. What they are using is the fiber optic cable, which cannot run through your existing coax in your camper.

We did exactly the same thing that you did, run the wire from the "antenna", we had a Tailgater directly to the receiver through a window. Even that dedicated jack stopped the signal between antenna an the receiver box. I ended up figuring out a way to run the wire through the hole where my electric plug wire pushes into the camper.

Eventually, we quit using DishTV and DirectTV completely. We are OK with Over-the-air television and streaming via our cell phones Hot Spot.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Apperman

Thanks for this info - knowing that the one in the back is go-to for CATV is helpful. I suppose I’ll have one installed between the slide & entertainment shelf for satellite. The “walk through guy” actually did tell me that the satellite signal might not work - I guess I didn’t want to believe it!
Thanks
Old 07-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
Apperman

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Many "low cost trailers" use "cheap coax cable that is not compatible with satellite signals"...

Typically, RG58 or RG59 is used in trailer TV wiring and RG6 is used in satellite wiring. Even in the 21st century, RV manufacturers use "cheap crap" to make more money.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout