Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
KRumm

Parallel Batteries Double Max Charge Current?

I want to create a 400ah battery bank by putting two 12v 200ah batteries in parallel... A single 200ah battery has a rated max charge current of 60amps...

My question in when I have two of these in parallel does the max charge current stay the same (60A) or does to double to 120A?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would think the charge rate would be set by the charging device. If your trailer converter is 40A max I would think that’s all your going to get no matter how many batteries you have.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
KRumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would think the charge rate would be set by the charging device. If your trailer converter is 40A max I would think that’s all your going to get no matter how many batteries you have.
My rig has 55a converter... I want to add a second 55a so I can reduce generator time...
Old 03-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It depends more on how you wire the charger to the battery bank than "just in parallel"... Take a look at this article, it explains how to wire the batteries so you equalize the charge to each battery and draw from the batteries "equally". If you wire them "incorrectly" you will essentially charge/draw from one battery while the other is "in reserve" and once the active battery is worn, it will bring down the other battery.

Take a look at this link: https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/t...s-in-parallel/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
KRumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It depends more on how you wire the charger to the battery bank than "just in parallel"... Take a look at this article, it explains how to wire the batteries so you equalize the charge to each battery and draw from the batteries "equally". If you wire them "incorrectly" you will essentially charge/draw from one battery while the other is "in reserve" and once the active battery is worn, it will bring down the other battery.

Take a look at this link: https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/t...s-in-parallel/
Thanks!... Great article that answers my question...
Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
My rig has 55a converter... I want to add a second 55a so I can reduce generator time...
Then you would need to disconnect the two batteries in order to use 2 chargers. Also, to use 2 chargers simultaneously AND use the battery while charging would require rewiring so the "house" 12 v would come from one battery. A look at how to properly wire 2 12v batteries will make this evening as the trailer's batteries should be wired positive to positive and neg to neg with wires of equal gauges and length. However, the connection to the load should be the pos load connected to the pos terminal on one battery and the neg load connected to the neg terminal of the second battery.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote