Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
BauerAP

JT Strongarms...worth the hassle?

Ok...so the title might be a little misleading. I have read enough reviews that I’d really like to have them. I’ve even gone as far as putting them in my cart but just haven’t pulled the trigger. Well today I finally went out and really looked at the install process. I would pretty much have to do all of the mods I’ve seen on the YouTube install videos.
The battery box is in the way. The spare tire mount is in the way and there doesn’t appear to be a crossmember where I would need to mount the rears. All of these problems are fixable but is it really worth it. I was quoted $225 for install of the front but I’m sure they don’t know the issues and that number could likely double.
I’m handi-capable of doing the work but it will definitely be more involved than drilling a couple frame holes and turning a wrench. If this were a 5 year old trailer I wouldn’t mind hacking into things but it still smells new and I am just hesitant to change what’s there.
I have a 2019 sprinter 32fwbh. Any advice or should I just continue with the wobble?
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
jsb5717

I'm not sure how much work is involved for your installation but the end result will speak for itself. I think they are great. Once installed they are so easy to use...nothing extra to carry or set up on the trailer every time. Just be sure to loosen the bolts before you retract the landing gear.

Phenomenally stable.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
slow

I have been researching stabilizers and I too am about to pull the trigger on the purchase. But I concluded that the SteadyFast system is the way to go. If you have not checked into it, it is another option with less components to install and to have less play at joints.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
jsb5717

I've looked at the Steadyfast system. Same principle and looks like a good system. It doesn't look like it's designed for auto level systems, though. Not sure what's on the OP's Sprinter.

Edit: I checked and there are versions available for the Steadyfast system for both kinds of landing gear so just pick accordingly. BAL also makes a system like the Strong Arms. Any of these will stabilize your trailer.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Either system works very very good.
Come to the shop here, made mine, well for free!! And mine are easier to install, no drilling at all!!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Either system works very very good.
Come to the shop here, made mine, well for free!! And mine are easier to install, no drilling at all!!
If palmyra is north east of rocky mount, N.C. I would be on the way. I’ve looked at some DIY projects that I just don’t see working like I want. At least without a welder, which I don’t have. Do you have any pics of them?

The front are electric landing gear and the rears are electric stabilizers.
I could run the rears fore/aft along the frame which would solve one issue. The steady fast may or may not solve the problem. I still think I would be limited by the spare tire when raising the landing gear for towing. The steadyfast May eliminate the need for battery box removal but I really don’t want to bumper mount the spare.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
GeekSquadOfUn

In my humble opinion it is not worth it.

It is a box on rubber wheels with a suspension. You just need to get used to it. Period.

A cottage would not move at all.

Whoever just spent money on them will say they're fantastic, but ask their wives... ��
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
JimJan

We installed JT Strongarms on an older 5th wheel. Was not difficult and we did notice an improvement to the swaying when moving around in the camper.
Easy to loosen when loading up to go and tighten when all set at campground.
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #9
slow

Compare the setup procedures (once already installed) of the Strong Arm or Bal to that of the Steady Fast to understand the subtle difference in setup procedures between the two.

From Steady Fast:
Operation:

30. Set up the trailer and level per your manufacturer’s directions and/or as per accepted industry guidelines. Although wheel chocks are not necessary to stabilizer your trailer, Always use wheel chocks for safety when the trailer is not hitched to the tow vehicle. Adjust all the jacks up slightly more than normal to be sure they are firm on the ground. About 4-6 extra turns on the scissor jack would be a good rule of thumb.

31. How you place blocks under your jacks is important. If the block moves, then the trailer will move. Single large blocks will work in many locations, but we recommend using double blocks (see figures p and q) on gravel, grass, or other soft or loose soil. We have had best performance with the blocks set in a “V”. We found that other blocking scenarios may roll back and forth on the gravel or teeter-totter on sod.

32. Tighten the locking handle firmly at all three locations. Check to see if the trailer has any movement. If there is movement, inspect the bracing system and jacks while someone is pushing on the trailer to shake it. It is usually pretty easy to find the problem. Most commonly it turns out to be the jacks are not down tight enough, or the blocks are allowing movement.
From Lippert:
Operation

1. Level your trailer side-to-side.
2. Lower the front of the trailer 3/4” lower than the rear.
3. Lower and set rear jacks evenly.
4. Tighten the T-Bolts on the two rear Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers.
5. Raise the front of the trailer to make it level front-to-back.
6. Tighten T-Bolts on the four front Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers.
7. Briefly press the electric jack switch so the jacks slightly lift the front of the trailer. This eliminates the play (movement) at the bolts and bolt holes between the stabilizers and the trailer.
The Steady Fast setup only cautions the proper use of blocks (if used), otherwise it is the same leveling and stabilizer deployment procedure as without the Steady Fast. Only extra step is to tighten three knobs. Whereas the JT Strong Arm has a few extra steps when leveling and six knobs to tighten. The simpler Steady Fast setup procedure is what sold me on the Steady Fast.

I came across a user review of the Strong Arm who also had the Steady Fast over the years and he had a preference for the Steady Fast since the campsite setup was easier. I wish I could find the post again to provide a link.

Edit: Here are the links that have the opinion of users of both the Steady Fast and JT Strong Arm.:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ast-15745.html
Posts #3 & #5

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...bilizer-System
Posts #9 & #10
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 02-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
GHen

One way to see if they are worth it is to make some temporary ones out of wood, youtube has videos.
Once I did that, my DW said now I need to set it up that way every trip. Those triangles make the Rv rock solid.
The strong arms make it more convenient.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post

The front are electric landing gear and the rears are electric stabilizers.
I could run the rears fore/aft along the frame which would solve one issue.

Pictures I couldn't get til spring when we open up for the season.
Welder is needed for what I did.
I run a machine shop and there is plenty of metal around.
So I took electrical conduit, drilled a hole about 3 inches from one end. Welding a nut over the hole area to lock the other piece down.
The square U bolt mounts around the upper half of the landing gear legs and barely tightened them,

On the other end I welded a 2 1/2 Square tube U bolt.
The other piece was a length of stainless to bar and then welded a thread rod to it, that locks into the holes in the landing gear legs.
So it is Xed between the legs.
Made the ones for rocking forward and backward but found they did little if anything, so I dont use them.

My wife, well she likes them,the camper is like it sits on a foundation now.
It might be unfair,but I'm permanent, the whole trailer other than the front landing gear is on blocks. Even on blocks it rocked side to side. Doesnt now!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post

It is a box on rubber wheels with a suspension. You just need to get used to it. Period.

Whoever just spent money on them will say they're fantastic, but ask their wives... ��
I will disagree as they are well worth it! They make our 32’ 5er rock solid. As for how hard to install I installed mine in a campground while hosting!
I will say after three winters on the Oregon Coast repainted tubes, replaced all bolts, washers and nylock nuts with stainless, and I chased the threads on the T bolts and tubes added a little copper never seize on the T bolts. Now as good as new.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
gkainz

Quote:

I installed them BECAUSE of my wife! She said the rv shakes too much when I go in and out and she's still trying to sleep. After install - happy wife!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I will say after three winters on the Oregon Coast repainted tubes...
The coast is hard on everything. After a lot of years selling windows to coastal construction you just have to decide that you really want to live there and resign yourself to all of the added maintenance.

Like a lot of the various aspects of the camping experience, stabilizers are very subjective. It all depends on how much trailer movement you want to live with. I love how stable they make my trailer so to me they are very well worth it.

I also love the Oregon coast, but as for living there.... I've suggested to my wife that we retire to the coast. I was informed that would require a different wife. After 40 years I'll stick with this one and live inland.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The coast is hard on everything. After a lot of years selling windows to coastal construction you just have to decide that you really want to live there and resign yourself to all of the added maintenance.

Like a lot of the various aspects of the camping experience, stabilizers are very subjective. It all depends on how much trailer movement you want to live with. I love how stable they make my trailer so to me they are very well worth it.

I also love the Oregon coast, but as for living there.... I've suggested to my wife that we retire to the coast. I was informed that would require a different wife. After 40 years I'll stick with this one and live inland.
When we retired the DW said she wanted to always park next to water. After 10+ years full-time she changed her mind to lake front, NO MORE coastal stops neither east, west or gulf coast.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #16
vampress_me

Quote:

Well, I am the wife. And I love our Steadyfast system. You can definitely notice when we have forgotten to tighten them because there is a lot more movement in the 5’er. I will say that was one of the best investments in our camper that we both love.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #17
B-O-B'03

The SteadyFast stabilizers were one of my first mods and are definitely DW approve (she had already "mentioned" how much the trailer moved when either the dog or I moved around while she was trying to sleep ).

I think they were well worth the cost and installation effort (about an hour and a half).

-Brian
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #18
BauerAP

Leaning towards the steadyfast now. We have a beach trip planned for spring break(dw is a teacher) so hopefully I can make it happen before then.
I’m thinking/hoping if I do have to mod the spare tire mount and battery box they would add around an hour a piece.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
Leaning towards the steadyfast now. We have a beach trip planned for spring break(dw is a teacher) so hopefully I can make it happen before then.
I’m thinking/hoping if I do have to mod the spare tire mount and battery box they would add around an hour a piece.
Call Paul Hanscom at Steady Fast. He probably has insights on how to efficiently deal with some of the challenges you anticipate with your install. Send him some pictures of the challenges.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #20
Big1

I install them on my 5th wheel and at first, it was intimated but once you get started it will all come together, it took me about 2-3 hours. The hardest part that I ran into is the square beam between the front jacks.

I just lay everything out and figure out the best setup for my 5th wheel, I haven't taken it out to use it yet because I install it after the camping season. I have heard so many good reviews I figure why not so I will really see soon. The set that I got from Amazon gave me enough hardware to do the back jack but I didn't put them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3285.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	25333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3287.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	25334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3292.JPG
Views:	377