Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #41
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I'm strictly a Chevy guy, so by no means an expert. But I thought it was Ram that had the death wobble?
2016 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with HO Cummins and Aisin transmission. 50000 miles and no “death wobble”.
I have a friend with a 2016 Ford F250 that had the wobble.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #42
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Death Wobble for years was the big issue for Ram, it seem to now migrated to a Ford issue. So far not an issue for either of our Rams 2001 and 2016.
I have experanced before on my 64 Ford Econoline with a straight axle and kingpins. New king pins solved the issue.
I once had a Ford F250 that had a bad death wobble.
And I have owned 4 Rams, from a 1997 1500 to a 2001 and 2002 2500 Cummins to my 2016 3500 Cummins. Never had any steering issues with any of them.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
RobertS

I’ve had 2013 F350 used for towing and currently a 2018 GMC 3500 tow vehicle and no “death rattles”. Yes one was straight axle and the GMC doesn’t. Steering doesn’t seem to be much different but two differences between the vehicles. The 2018 GMC 3500 Diesel has considerably more power on grades and gives better fuel mileage on the same trip with same trailer. The 2018 uses more DEF but not by significant amounts. It appears the EPA requires tighter emissions and the manufacturers have had to inject more fluid
Robert
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #44
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
One word..maintenance. 3/4, 1 ton and up are hard on front end parts, particularly steering components. The more "steering inputs" while setting still or barely moving i.e. while parking, the higher the resistance and stresses on the components (anyone experienced driving a "non-assisted" steering vehicle?).

The commercial use or "rescue/municipality or government owned vehicles" typically get more professional maintenance, either contracted or in house than the "typical" consumer. Those vehicles typically have different drivers that won't have a steering issue "sneak up" on them. When John Q. drives his truck every day on his commute it's easy for him to get acclimated to the subtle change in the way it steers or handles until the "death wobble" or "unintentional lane change" get's his attention.
What maintenance? There are no serviceable parts. When it wears out, you replace it.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #45
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
What maintenance? There are no serviceable parts. When it wears out, you replace it.
I agree with what Marshall said as I said the same thing,.
If you're getting a lube, oil and filter from any good mechanic they check these parts for wear and will advise you that parts are near their sevice life. If not, time to find a better mechanic.
You're towing a 5er behind a TV with a diesel engine. Wouldn't you ask a mechanic to check the aspects of the TV that are crucial to towing something that large?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #46
Stevencarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
Personally i think the death wobble is exaggerated to a degree. First thing is you never hear about the guys that don't have the problem. I have a 15 F250 with the 6.7 and it only happened once. I figured it was a combination of a ruff road and stability control along with the ABS kicking in at the same time. Never happened again. I drive the same road all the time. I am not sure DRW trucks have this problem ether. My truck is a 4X4 and I think that makes some difference.
I would never consider a Dodge. I guess I love Fords to much because I have 5 of them LOL
Same 15. F250 6.7 serves us well.
Stevencarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I read somewhere and had a mechanic tell me about two zerc fittings on the front suspension of the SuperDuty series. They're on the 2011-2016 trucks, not sure if they were carried forward on the 2017+ trucks or not. He told me that most mechanics don't know about them and can't find them. Seems there's also a thread on here "somewhere" about a member taking off his suit coat, tucking his tie into his shirt and crawling under the truck to "prove to his Ford dealer's truck expert" that there were zerc's on his truck front end. All he got was an "oops" if I remember the thread comments...…

I don't know where they are located, but now I'm going to find out next time I'm at the dealership.

ADDED: This may be the location of the two zerc fittings: I still plan to ask that mechanic next time I'm at the Ford dealership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I guess I should have stated what I thought was obvious. Trucks that get regular maintenance by real mechanics don't pull the drain plug and change the filters only. They look, they move things around and should be pulling wheels and measuring brake linings. That mechanic should know what to look for as well, as in "known issues" or "problematic" components.

The average "shade tree" oil changer can't possibly have the exposure to the common issues that a professional mechanic would, especially a good diesel mechanic.

The Ford dealership I use has a very large truck and diesel shop. There are always trucks there from the government to construction companies to volunteer rescue squads, etc. Do they charge more than the "Lube you up in a hurry" shop with the kid that doesn't shave yet changing your oil, you bet. But in my opinion the information an be well worth it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #49
Badbart56

Quote:
I guess I should have stated what I thought was obvious. Trucks that get regular maintenance by real mechanics don't pull the drain plug and change the filters only. They look, they move things around and should be pulling wheels and measuring brake linings. That mechanic should know what to look for as well, as in "known issues" or "problematic" components.

The average "shade tree" oil changer can't possibly have the exposure to the common issues that a professional mechanic would, especially a good diesel mechanic.

The Ford dealership I use has a very large truck and diesel shop. There are always trucks there from the government to construction companies to volunteer rescue squads, etc. Do they charge more than the "Lube you up in a hurry" shop with the kid that doesn't shave yet changing your oil, you bet. But in my opinion the information an be well worth it.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that all the front-end parts used to have grease fittings. You used to be able to repack the wheel bearings. Those days are gone. You replace the parts as they fail, instead of having the option of performing maintenance to prolong the life of your vehicle. My Ford place has a quick lube department that tries to be competitive with the generic quick lubes around town. They have to hire kids that have little if any mechanical experience just to break even and it's doubtful they know a tie rod from a center link. They won't have a general line tech do the oil changes because they lose money paying them .3 tenths of an hour for labor because they're making $25-$30 an hour whereas the lube techs are making $10-$12 an hour. Line techs have the knowledge to recognize and sell needed service and/or parts. Lube techs, not gonna happen. They have no incentive.

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that all the front-end parts used to have grease fittings. You used to be able to repack the wheel bearings. Those days are gone. You replace the parts as they fail, instead of having the option of performing maintenance to prolong the life of your vehicle. My Ford place has a quick lube department that tries to be competitive with the generic quick lubes around town. They have to hire kids that have little if any mechanical experience just to break even and it's doubtful they know a tie rod from a center link. They won't have a general line tech do the oil changes because they lose money paying them .3 tenths of an hour for labor because they're making $25-$30 an hour whereas the lube techs are making $10-$12 an hour. Line techs have the knowledge to recognize and sell needed service and/or parts. Lube techs, not gonna happen. They have no incentive.
No problem. Just as with th RV dealership the vehicle dealer can make all the difference. We bought the F250 used (it was 18 months old) from a Ford dealer 100 miles away. They had all the service records etc. and was listed below NADA wholesale. I took a chance and bought it and have had no problems.
Our F150 King Ranch we bought new from the local Ford dealer that I previously referenced. I had them do all service to the truck while it was in warranty so there would be no argument if a warranty issue arose. After the warranty expired I still use them. Their "quick lane" deal is buy four oil changes get one free. At that cost it's almost the same cost for me to but the oil and filter. Here's the thing, they still check everything and give me a printout and have never pressured me about having a repair done there or try to "up sell" me. They have earned my trust so it works for me. Believe me, I've known dealerships that I wouldn't trust to change a tire on a kid's bike.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #51
Badbart56

Quote:
No problem. Just as with th RV dealership the vehicle dealer can make all the difference. We bought the F250 used (it was 18 months old) from a Ford dealer 100 miles away. They had all the service records etc. and was listed below NADA wholesale. I took a chance and bought it and have had no problems.
Our F150 King Ranch we bought new from the local Ford dealer that I previously referenced. I had them do all service to the truck while it was in warranty so there would be no argument if a warranty issue arose. After the warranty expired I still use them. Their "quick lane" deal is buy four oil changes get one free. At that cost it's almost the same cost for me to but the oil and filter. Here's the thing, they still check everything and give me a printout and have never pressured me about having a repair done there or try to "up sell" me. They have earned my trust so it works for me. Believe me, I've known dealerships that I wouldn't trust to change a tire on a kid's bike.
I’m familiar with that. I worked at my dealer as a service advisor. I don’t even bother going in the front door anymore. I just call my buddies when I need something done and bring it to them on the weekends. I pay them fifty dollars an hour and I still get employee parts pricing. They take good care of me.

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

I graduated HS in 1972. That summer I worked at the parts counter of a Chrysler Plymouth dealer for college money. They would buy "off brand" points, condensers, filters, etc. as sell them as O.E.M. at a 500% mark up. I still think about how they screwed people over and think it's jerks like that who make it difficult for any decent business. But I'm also thankful for the eye opening experience that taught me how to identify the difference.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #53
Badbart56

The Chevy dealer I worked at in the 80’s did the same thing. I sold a tune up on a 69 Corvette that the owner was trying to keep “all Chevy ‘ and they didn’t have the OEM plug wires in stock so they bought a set of off brand from a parts store but they still charged him for the OEM set. IIRC the EEM’s were $136.00 and the ones they got from the parts store cost about $39.00. That was what made me quit. They had this screwy policy of marking up parts that cost $9.99 or less 400%, $9.99 to $14.99 200% and so on. That still goes on today. Parts prices have been inflated for a long time. When I worked for a Lincoln dealership in 1976 the labor rate was $12 an hour with the mechanic (they still called them mechanics back then) getting $6. Nowadays the rates are around $138 an hour with the “technicians “ getting $25-$30 an hour.

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #54
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
I graduated HS in 1972. That summer I worked at the parts counter of a Chrysler Plymouth dealer for college money. They would buy "off brand" points, condensers, filters, etc. as sell them as O.E.M. at a 500% mark up. I still think about how they screwed people over and think it's jerks like that who make it difficult for any decent business. But I'm also thankful for the eye opening experience that taught me how to identify the difference.
Funny enough I saw the owner of the Harley Dealership in my hometown at the Acklands (automotive parts wholesaler) doing the same with spark plugs, and light bulbs etc. Putting them in the Genuine Harley Davidson boxes. That was 30 plus years ago so maybe not anymore LOL
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

We are off topic but I'll go one more story.

Back in '72 a customer brings in a '69 Plymouth with a bad miss. He was told he needed a valve job. Mechanic took 5 mins to diagnose. Came to the counter and asked for a new cap and a couple of "rattle cans" of engine paint. The distributor cap was cracked. He replaced the cap, cleaned the engine and painted it. They parked the car on the back lot for 3 days.

Wallah! One full priced valve job. Customer was thrilled because "it ran like it was new".
Old 02-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #56
Cflynt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
I have had Ford's since late 80's and they hold pretty well. I had my 2020 F250 for 17.5 years but did put some $$ into it for repairs after 10+ years. My 2016 F30 DRW with 7000 miles is holding up very well and I am not aware of any issues. I purchased the truck a few months back with a 100,000 6 year extended warranty.
Talk about Back to the Future! If you had a 2020 for 17.5 years, wow! 😂 LoL!
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic (Black Betty)
U.S. Navy Chief, Retired:1981 - 2007
Cflynt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #57
Harried Harry

Larry, yes the Jeeps do have the death wobble. Most of the time its caused by a problem in the steering assembly. My Jeep started with the Death Wobble (DW!) so I had the front end checked. Both ball joints were bad on the tie rods and the drag link. I replaced them, had a front end alignment and everything was fine. I have an 08 Dodge 2500 purchased "new". In 2010 most Dodge trucks were recalled due to bad tie rods which were replaced under warranty.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #58
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Folks on the powerstroke.org forum often have tales of eBay purchases where parts are sold a Motorcraft or Autolite or OEM in OEM packaging and the stuff is NOT... cheap junk. Sellers have gotten savvy on repackaging to sell at near-OEM prices what they buy for pennies on the dollar from the land of Chrono.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #59
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Folks on the powerstroke.org forum often have tales of eBay purchases where parts are sold a Motorcraft or Autolite or OEM in OEM packaging and the stuff is NOT... cheap junk. Sellers have gotten savvy on repackaging to sell at near-OEM prices what they buy for pennies on the dollar from the land of Chrono.
Often they don't need to repackage. The Chinese have gotten very good at copying the packaging as well. It used to be that a careful inspection would reveal a misspelled word or incorrect logo but now it's near impossible to tell.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #60
Harried Harry

I have a Dodge 2500 Quadcab 4x4. As far as I can tell, it only has a few places where I can lube it. One place is on the drive shaft, which requires a needle for the grease gun. It is a real PITA to lube it, but I do. My truck now has 72,000 miles and I bought it "new" in 2008 (a month before the price on all trucks dropped by 25%). Keeping up with the maintenance is well worth it, but I sure wish it wasn't as expensive to keep up the maintenance on my body.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford